Teaching foster children about god?

• Group:  Newbie
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

I've always believed in putting others first and caring for the poor so my life so far has been about saving and investing enough money so that I can do just that. In the bible it says:

Matthew 25:35-40 New International Version (NIV)

35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in,36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink?38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

I've always wanted to care for the children of this world who do not currently have a stable family by providing foster care for them and I believe by doing this I am doing this not only for them, but for god.

I have come up with a potential issue though. What If I come across a child that is not christian (actually highly likely) and I'm not allowed to take them to church. And what if a child comes into my care that is gay or transgender?

My natural reaction to this is that, no matter who the child or, or what their religion is, or what they believe in, I should do nothing but love them and care for them even if this means worst case scenario, not forcing them to lead a life Jesus would be proud of. For example, letting them be and grow up gay or transgender and caring and supporting them through their tough situation in life to prevent them feeling rejection and having suicidal thoughts.

In other words, I'd try to do everything right myself and follow Jesus the way I believe is right, but I'd do my best to let the children in my care follow whatever they believe is right while keeping them safe and happy.

I went online and found a christian chat site to get a bit more information on what I should do in regards to this situation without putting in any emotion or direction into the chat. I wanted to see what another christian thought about this without arguing with them and here is the response I got:

Kevin: Hello
Daniel: Hi Kevin, I have a question in regards to foster care
Kevin: Go ahead...
Daniel: I want to devote my life to providing foster care for children but I’m worried about a few things. If a child is a non-Christian and I’m unable to go to church because of this, am I doing wrong? I’d still be reading the bible and doing all I could to follow Jesus, but the children I’m looking after may not be allowed to learn about god
Kevin: Daniel, what would prevent you from taking your foster child to church?
Daniel: In Australia, there are rules in regards to taking foster children to church or Christian based schools. You also can't talk about god in a public school or childcare centre
Kevin: SO if you have a foster care child you cannot expose them to your beliefs?
Daniel: If their parents allow and give permission, then yes, but if not, I’d be unable to teach that child about god. The best I could do in that case would simply be taking care of them in their time of need.
Kevin: That's a tough call...kids need more that just food and a warm place to stay.... Are you praying about this?
Daniel: When I pray, I pray that the foster children that come into my care are those that are able to learn about god and that I’d be able to teach them about god. But, my worry is that what happens if a foster child that comes into my care is a non-Christian.
Kevin: I understand...could you follow the law or follow God? It could happen....
Daniel: Another concern is what happens if a child that comes into my care is gay or transgender. Am I right for accepting them for who they are (as the foster agency says I need to do) or do I need to lead them away from that.
Kevin: I think it's obtuse to think you would and could disregard your entire belief system! It's is a calling from God... How would anyone including the state think you could ignore that?
Daniel: So, would you say that it’s best I strictly ask the agency for only chistrian children as simply caring for other children without teaching them the path to god would not be the right thing to do?
Kevin: It is never wrong to teach the word of God...Remember the disciples were beaten and told never to speak of Jesus again...the intern we will not be quited about Jesus...we will boldly preach of Jesus even if it might not be well received
Daniel: So, in other words, go for it. I should teach these children about god no matter what I am told, and if they are taken away from me because of this, I’ve done the right thing by god anyway and planted a seed in their mind?
Kevin: I would think that would be consistent with what Jesus did and all 12 apostles did , and it cost everyone of them their lives....It will cost you as well... Pray, pray pray
Daniel: Thanks for your help! God Bless, have a nice night!
Kevin: I'll be praying Daniel...... God Bless

I'll be honest that I felt a bit concerned with the response I received. What if I come across a gay or transgender child that has suicidal feelings due to bullying, and then I say to them that they have to ignore these feelings and follow god. This child may feel like nobody understands or loves them and then, because of me... perform the unthinkable.

I'm worried and feel stuck. I want to support as many children as I can in life but I feel lots of conflict in how to do this the right way.

I will accept and respect the answers you give, I just wanted to hear and base my decisions around more than just one answer.

Thanks in advance for your replies :)

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,010
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,205
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  92

Daniel, I wouldn't worry about situations that might not happen at all.   Because of your government's rules, if you do get a child that is not Christian or is having gender issues....then I would simply ask (and pray) if the child's parents would allow you to take the child to church as you feel that would be beneficial to the child.

Give the children lots of love, stability, fun and don't be afraid to let them know you are a Christian and that is why you love them so much.

My aunt does foster care and she takes all of her foster kids to Sunday School and church.    They all love it and love her.   Of course, my aunt lives in the USA.

• Loved it! 1