• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,763
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  28

How do we receive the Holy Spirit?"

The apostle Paul clearly taught that we receive the Holy Spirit the moment we receive Jesus Christ as our Savior. First Corinthians 12:13 declares, “For we were all baptized by one Spirit into one body—whether Jews or Greeks, slave or free—and we were all given the one Spirit to drink.” Romans 8:9 tells us that if a person does not possess the Holy Spirit, he or she does not belong to Christ: “You, however, are controlled not by the sinful nature but by the Spirit, if the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Christ.” Ephesians 1:13-14 teaches us that the Holy Spirit is the seal of salvation for all those who believe: “Having believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God's possession—to the praise of his glory.”

These three passages make it clear that the Holy Spirit is received at the moment of salvation. Paul could not say that we all were baptized by one Spirit and all given one Spirit to drink if not all of the Corinthian believers possessed the Holy Spirit. Romans 8:9 is even stronger, stating that if a person does not have the Spirit, he does not belong to Christ. Therefore, the possession of the Spirit is an identifying factor of the possession of salvation. Further, the Holy Spirit could not be the “seal of salvation” (Ephesians 1:13-14) if He is not received at the moment of salvation. Many scriptures make it abundantly clear that our salvation is secured the moment we receive Christ as Savior.

This discussion is controversial because the ministries of the Holy Spirit are often confused. The receiving/indwelling of the Spirit occurs at the moment of salvation. The filling of the Spirit is an ongoing process in the Christian life. While we hold that the baptism of the Spirit also occurs at the moment of salvation, some Christians do not. This sometimes results in the baptism of the Spirit being confused with “receiving the Spirit” as an act subsequent to salvation. 

In conclusion, how do we receive the Holy Spirit? We receive the Holy Spirit by simply receiving the Lord Jesus Christ as our Savior (John 3:5-16). When do we receive the Holy Spirit? The Holy Spirit becomes our permanent possession the moment we believe.( igotquestions.)

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,790
  • Content Per Day:  0.77
  • Days Won:  1

3 hours ago, maryjayne said:

well, thats me doomed then. I have absolutely no desire to speak in tongues, babbling and groaning and no-one understanding what I am saying, flinging myself around on the ground, barking  like a dog, or any of the other scary Pentecostal or Charismatic manifestations I have witnessed claiming to be a requirement to be acceptable to God. No way.

I do not know what crazy antics people get up to in the U.K. but what you describe is not the way of biblical Pentecost church conduct.

Praying in the Holy Ghost is fully understood by God (which is really what counts) and responded to in turn by much answered prayer, healings and 

miracles. "These signs shall follow them that believe ..." 

The choice is yours - the full gospel of salvation or to believe another gospel given by men. 

2 hours ago, Cobalt1959 said:

A)  That portion of Mark is disputed text so it cannot be used as a definitive proof text for anything.

I see that unbelief and calling the Word of God a lie is still prevalent and abounds. 

No wonder the likes of Bishop John Shelby Spong, the great unbeliever, is so popular and sells his books on unbelief in great numbers.

Amongst his many blasphemies is the claim that the accounts in the gospels of the many miracles done by Jesus are fictitious and made up to 

give the claims about Jesus' divinity some credibility.

Well why not? If Mark 16:15-20 can be disputed and trashed by unbelievers - the word of God is not true - then why not any other parts of the 

scriptures? 

Did you know that Spong and his ilk dispute much of the scriptures, as all unbelievers do: for example, the claim that Jesus ascended into heaven 

(Acts 1:9 vv) is completely false and impossible. 

Unbelief - there are no boundaries. 

• Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,248
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  0

6 hours ago, maryjayne said:

well, thats me doomed then. I have absolutely no desire to speak in tongues, babbling and groaning and no-one understanding what I am saying, flinging myself around on the ground, barking  like a dog, or any of the other scary Pentecostal or Charismatic manifestations I have witnessed claiming to be a requirement to be acceptable to God. No way.

thanks anyway.

Hi maryjane....

Look at what Kenneth Copeland supposedly says when he's (praying) in tongues.... (Kenneth Copeland is the minister of a mega church in the USA)

Edited by Steve_S
Removed video link.

1 hour ago, angels4u said:

This is false teaching , you will be filled with the Holy Spirit the minute you give your heart to Jesus and make 

Him Lord of your life. 

Completely unscriptural and therefore also doctrinally untrue - have you received the Holy ghost since you believed???

Acts 8:14  Now when the apostles which were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent unto them Peter and John: 
15  Who, when they were come down, prayed for them, that they might receive the Holy Ghost: 
16  (For as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.) 
17  Then laid they their hands on them, and they received the Holy Ghost. 

Acts 19:2  He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? ... 
5  When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 
6  And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied. 
7  And all the men were about twelve. 

Edited by Waggles

6 minutes ago, JoeCanada said:

Hi maryjane....

Look at what Kenneth Copeland supposedly says when he's (praying) in tongues.... (Kenneth Copeland is the minister of a mega church in the USA)

Check it out..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4zS-yz_lZM

Can you remove the link and post it in the video section?

And yes Kenneth Copeland is a false teacher..

1 hour ago, angels4u said:

How do we receive the Holy Spirit?"

The apostle Paul clearly taught that we receive the Holy Spirit the moment we receive Jesus Christ as our Savior. First Corinthians 12:13 declares, “For we were all baptized by one Spirit into one body—whether Jews or Greeks, slave or free—and we were all given the one Spirit to drink.” Romans 8:9 tells us that if a person does not possess the Holy Spirit, he or she does not belong to Christ: “You, however, are controlled not by the sinful nature but by the Spirit, if the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Christ.” Ephesians 1:13-14 teaches us that the Holy Spirit is the seal of salvation for all those who believe: “Having believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God's possession—to the praise of his glory.”

These three passages make it clear that the Holy Spirit is received at the moment of salvation. Paul could not say that we all were baptized by one Spirit and all given one Spirit to drink if not all of the Corinthian believers possessed the Holy Spirit. Romans 8:9 is even stronger, stating that if a person does not have the Spirit, he does not belong to Christ. Therefore, the possession of the Spirit is an identifying factor of the possession of salvation. Further, the Holy Spirit could not be the “seal of salvation” (Ephesians 1:13-14) if He is not received at the moment of salvation. Many scriptures make it abundantly clear that our salvation is secured the moment we receive Christ as Savior.

This discussion is controversial because the ministries of the Holy Spirit are often confused. The receiving/indwelling of the Spirit occurs at the moment of salvation. The filling of the Spirit is an ongoing process in the Christian life. While we hold that the baptism of the Spirit also occurs at the moment of salvation, some Christians do not. This sometimes results in the baptism of the Spirit being confused with “receiving the Spirit” as an act subsequent to salvation. 

In conclusion, how do we receive the Holy Spirit? We receive the Holy Spirit by simply receiving the Lord Jesus Christ as our Savior (John 3:5-16). When do we receive the Holy Spirit? The Holy Spirit becomes our permanent possession the moment we believe.( igotquestions.)

Waggles,you forgot to comment on this?

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  275
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  5,208
  • Content Per Day:  1.00
  • Days Won:  0

Waggles removed from thread for questioning others' salvation.

2 hours ago, maryjayne said:

are the Worthy Briefs personally tailored? Because today's one (just arrived in my email) is exactly what I need today and in answer to my question about the Holy Spirit and also getting closer to God. 

They're tailored by the Lord :)

God Bless, He knows what we need to hear today...

• 1 year later...

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  771
  • Content Per Day:  0.53
  • Birthday:  10/07/1947

On 8/16/2018 at 6:15 AM, RevelationWriter said:

- Wanting to be baptized, unknowingly of anything much 'christian' I went to my aunt's and uncle's and grandmother's Apostolic Pentecostal church.

Which was in another town an hour and a half away where they lived. And they have a strict dress code and such.

I was baptized on Resurrection sunday and was ask to come back for midweek service to 'tarry for The Holy Ghost' I didn't know what that meant but thought it couldn't be bad.

So when we were worshiping God I started speaking in tongues! Which to make a long story short ended up making my family member indignant with me for one not submitting to their religious regulations and two because none of them had nor never have received The Holy Spirit's gift of tongues although they had been in that church many years tarring for it.

I was a bad witness for them to their adult children whom they had witnessed to about their great church regulations of holiness. So I became family enemy number one to prove me unfit for anything with God or family. Years later my aunt & uncle actually tried ruining me in Court they lost twice and made things look even worse for themselves in the eyes of my cousins. 

I guess you could say they made me look like the white sheep of the family. That uncle died of cancer after my many attempts to reconcile our relationship but to no avail. 

But my experience with The Holy Spirit's gift of tongues has been good as I also pray to interpret as well. Tongues of God's Holy Spirit is for God communicating with us too.

Doesn't the Scripture say that those who live godly in Christ will suffer persecution, and didn't Jesus say that our enemies can be member of our own households?  Seems to have come true in your case.  When people get genuinely filled with the Spirit and flow out with the gifts in a legalistic environment, it can either cause others to praise God because of what you have received, or they can gnash their teeth on you out of envy and jealousy because they are not getting from God what you have received.