MeaCulpa3

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  26
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

I was listening to a really good podcast earlier, and one of the things that stood out to me a lot was this: “God never fulfills anyone’s expectations... He exceeds them. So it’s much better to give and trust than to expect.” (Paraphrased.) 

The podcast spoke about how lots of people turn away from God because He “let them down”. This is usually because these people expected God to do or prevent something, or do things the way they wanted them done, and God didn’t. They set expectations for Him that He didn’t meet. In order to avoid such disappointments in our own lives, we need to stop setting expectations for God and just learn to give it all to Him and trust that He will make something huge out of it.

Oh, and by the way, we should stop asking what we can get out of our relationship with God and start asking what we can give to it!

What are your thoughts?

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  40,789
  • Content Per Day:  7.95
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

Absolutely everything He has given us in His Word... that is what I expect! 

3 minutes ago, Yowm said:

We are not our own but have been bought with a Price. 1Cor 6:19-20.

Yes, could you elaborate on what that means in the context of this thread? ?

3 minutes ago, enoob57 said:

Absolutely everything He has given us in His Word... that is what I expect! 

Amen brother. But aside from that, do you expect anything (you don’t have to answer if you don’t want)? Many people expect God to give them nice things, many people expect God to answer their prayers with a “yes”, and on and on... Not saying you do. 

I know I’ve certainly been guilty of being disappointed after my expectations weren’t met. The podcast I listened to really opened my mind on that.

6 minutes ago, Yowm said:

I'm not sure if you use Scripture

Of course I do. I’m Catholic, not Atheist. ?

6 minutes ago, Yowm said:

Our expectations should be aligned with His expectations of us since we belong to Him.

Well, yes, but that doesn’t address the kind of expectations I’m attempting to refer to. I’m speaking specifically of our expectations from God. Like, what do we expect him to do in our lives? 

Edited by MeaCulpa3

33 minutes ago, Yowm said:

Like I said, I don't have any because a slave does what his master wills.

Well, alright, I see where you’re coming from but I still don’t think we’re discussing the same subjects to begin with. But that’s okay. 

33 minutes ago, Sojourner414 said:

I learned a while ago that it isn't about "what do we expect from God"; rather, what does God expect from us?

This is true. 

Edited by MeaCulpa3

1 hour ago, Yowm said:

Sorry, I'll bow out, I thought the topic was in the title...What do you expect from God?

Yes, that’s the topic, the way you’re putting it seems to be what God wants from us. Maybe I’m just misunderstanding what you’re saying. But whatever, your answer is fine. 

God bless, have a great day

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,204
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

What do you expect from God?

It's not so much what I expect, it's what I know

God is Light. In Him is no darkness. At all.    ***His promises are true!***

2 Corinthians 1:19-20 For the Son of God, Jesus Christ, who was preached among you by me and Silas and Timothy, was not “Yes” and “No,” but in him it has always been “Yes.” For no matter how many promises God has made, they are “Yes” in Christ. And so through him the “Amen” is spoken by us to the glory of God.

2 Peter 1:4 And because of his glory and excellence, he has given us great and precious promises. These are the promises that enable you to share his divine nature and escape the world’s corruption caused by human desires.

Hebrews 13:5 Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.

Hebrews 11:6  But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.

Philippians 4:19 And this same God who takes care of me will supply all your needs from his glorious riches, which have been given to us in Christ Jesus.

Psalm 84:11  For the LORD God is a sun and shield: the LORD will give grace and glory: no good thing will he withhold from them that walk uprightly.

My greatest observable/seen/known blessings were during my leanest and meanest times. Those times proved the Faithfulness of our Creator, and the truth of His promises.(The house of mourning vs house of mirth) His ways are NOT my ways, and His timing is not on my schedule. But His ways are the best way, as my Abba.  THERE IS ALWAYS A REASON! I have to remember, I do not have to know why, but just to know, His best is what I will get!

The Big One!    2 Timothy 1:12   This is why I suffer as I do. Still, I am not ashamed; for I know Him [and I am personally acquainted with Him] whom I have believed [with absolute trust and confidence in Him and in the truth of His deity], and I am persuaded [beyond any doubt] that He is able to guard that which I have entrusted to Him until that day [when I stand before Him].

What do you expect from God?.........easy...........His absolute best!

imagestttre.jpg.40a825d804e9afc2db4fa9649de2f8f6.jpg

Isa 55:9  For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  40,789
  • Content Per Day:  7.95
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

2 hours ago, MeaCulpa3 said:

Amen brother. But aside from that, do you expect anything (you don’t have to answer if you don’t want)? Many people expect God to give them nice things, many people expect God to answer their prayers with a “yes”, and on and on... Not saying you do. 

I know I’ve certainly been guilty of being disappointed after my expectations weren’t met. The podcast I listened to really opened my mind on that.

I realize that all I am is given me and the tore up parts is by my own hand... therefore to expect anything further would be to be unthankful for what I have already been given! We have been given God within, a gift, that cannot be evaluated within any created boundary wherewith we have for understanding. It is as though what I have began in shall never cease, s/Spiritual new birth, so how shall my thanksgiving ever cease :) Simply if it remains within it is God's gift to me, if it is taken away it is not; based on this I determine the things of God as that which remains and that which does not I am the wiser in knowing Him by attachment to the everlasting... seeing how all things corporeal are being removed and things planned have not entered into our minds or hearts it leaves us with a pure faith that is able to transport us into the everlasting solely by this same faith built within us by His Word- completely fulfilling this

Heb 11:1-3

11 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

2 For by it the elders obtained a good report.

3 Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.
KJV

He has testified thoroughly of Himself both by creation and His written Word for me to lay down all my present expectations that cannot frame His completion of plans for me and eagerly await that which is completely free of sin... to sit down without hinderance of being and survey His wonder without end with an ever increasing thanksgiving to Him that I was counted worthy [by, through, in] Him to be there...that is my faith.

• Thumbs Up 1

Good answers

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  194
  • Content Per Day:  0.09

9 hours ago, MeaCulpa3 said:

Oh, and by the way, we should stop asking what we can get out of our relationship with God and start asking what we can give to it!

What are your thoughts?

It comes with understanding about what it means to be in a relationship with God. Some thinks that, if God has pardoned their sins and give them eternal life, then He can give them anything.  

it took me years to realize that He isn't here to fulfill my personal dreams and desires, no matter how many sermons or Bible studies I've done.  It's through daily fellowship with Him where I realized I need to love Him wholeheartedly and have complete trust in Him.  As my friend would tell me: let go and let God. We know what we should do, but our flesh (including thoughts, concepts, and viewpoints) limits us and the evil spirits derail us.  I'm glad that He gives us this life to build our relationship with Him and overcome our old ways.

• Thumbs Up 2