Pleasure

• Group:  Newbie
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

What is the sin of sensuality? Is enjoying pleasure like coffee, pudding, steak, hamburgers, etc. a sin? I think god gave us 5 senses to enjoy but I am lost on if I can enjoy pleasure. God always, of course, come first in all of these situations and is thanked for them. If someone wakes up and is like “I want to go to Starbucks” is that sin?

And is wanting one of these things a sin? For example a husband and  wife want to have physical intimacy, is that a sin if they have a desire to have it?

Edited by Kota

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,242
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

Welcome to Worthy, Kota.  

The pleasures of marriage are to be enjoyed inside the bounds of marriage.  Elsewhere it is sin.  The enjoyment of food can be a part of gluttony which is sin, but in moderation it is fine.  Anything that we desire more than God himself can become a god to us.  This includes hobbies.  It is a matter of priorities.  Our lives should revolve around God, and other desires and pleasures are secondary to Him.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,157
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

1645735073_welcomemecoonbluevortex.jpg.65f3352570f6f86cbde11b02188637c4.jpg
I just checked in my little blue box... everything God has given is to be richly enjoyed within the boundaries He has designed... sin causes us to focus upon the object of the pleasure instead of the Designer of it! A subtle but effective illusion from truth satan uses... then he (satan) suggests God is unfair for putting these boundaries in place! This I find needs this thought with it: according to what we can ascertain and what God has told us we are in the infinite and with careful thought just imagine being there without boundary without anything without end! 

• 1 month later...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  134
  • Content Per Day:  0.07

On 8/4/2018 at 5:06 PM, Kota said:

What is the sin of sensuality? Is enjoying pleasure like coffee, pudding, steak, hamburgers, etc. a sin? I think god gave us 5 senses to enjoy but I am lost on if I can enjoy pleasure. God always, of course, come first in all of these situations and is thanked for them. If someone wakes up and is like “I want to go to Starbucks” is that sin?

And is wanting one of these things a sin? For example a husband and  wife want to have physical intimacy, is that a sin if they have a desire to have it?

Oh honey I'm praying for you to be saved from such an ignorant church that would put this garbage into your mind.

Its not a sin to go to starbucks. Jesus came to give us life in abundance. Jesus also drank wine with his disciples, and at consecrated bread from churches that didn't like him.

You're dealing with a god of common sense.

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  951
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,565
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Hi, First let me stake out  my own understanding on sensual and sensuality: By definition of the word  to be sensual or to have a sensuality to some activity  is sin.

From Miriam Webster dictionary - sensual

adjective

sen·su·al | \ ˈsen(t)-sh(ə-)wəl  ,  -shəl  \

Definition of Sensual 

1: relating to or consisting in the gratification of the senses or the indulgence of appetite : FLESHLY

2: SENSORY sense 1

3a: devoted to or preoccupied with the senses or appetites

b: VOLUPTUOUS

c: deficient in moral, spiritual, or intellectual interests : WORLDLY especially : IRRELIGIOUS

For practical use or application  of an individual's behavior what is sensuous and what is not becomes a question, actually the question. I might for example become gluttonous for coffee, pudding, steak, hamburgers, etc., and gluttony is a sin; but one a bit different from sensuousness. To be sensuous may  create an appetite, but generally not for physical food, instead becomes a craving for indulgence into sex and the sexual activity arena of activities

And yes sexual promiscuity is a sin. The desire for sexual activity, lust, is a sin closely related to sensuality. Desire is allowed when  it is satisfied by marriage and then sex activity. In fact the marriage partners are to engage in sex and are not to withhold themselves from each other, except for a mutually decided period of time for fasting and for prayers. The command to the marriage partners includes the statement that your body is not your own.

Much time is spent by Paul and is accounted in the Bible regarding the young and their strong desire into sensuality, and how to deal with it. It is part of almost every individual's makeup. There is Biblically defined behavior to deal with it, and to actually satisfy it, or to defeat it; each is discussed by Paul  in his letters to the churches regarding mostly the young singles, and at Song of Solomon, by King Solomon, which  mostly  I would suggest is for the married.

My own conclusion: Most all individuals have a drive or desire to engage in what is sensual. That desire does not make it okay, natural and so not a sin. It is sin. It does need to be dealt with, and there is way to deal with it other then being miserable. The ways are of the Bible, and are learned by reading the word, through prayer; and not by just picking out a paragraph or two by any message board member. So  do read the Bible, do pray upon the word of the Bible seeking fullest understanding, and do seek the counsel of older women in the church, and do think upon it all asking God for lead by the Holy Spirit.

May God bless you greatly.

Edited by Neighbor

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  194
  • Content Per Day:  0.09

On 8/4/2018 at 2:06 PM, Kota said:

All you listed aren't sin.  For the food/desserts part, having them too much would affect your health.  I enjoy coffee/snacks/desserts with my group of brothers from church weekly! And we would go for breakfast after morning fellowships.  Coffee is never s sin (I love coffee and am a mild addict of it, ? ).

As for a married couple wanting to have physical intimacy... why not?  How would people "be fruitful and multiply" (Genesis 1:28-31?) if they aren't allowed to "do it?"  It'd be a sin if an unmarried person frequently desires or fantasizes about sex, or an unmarried couple doing it.  

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Content Per Day:  0.66

Sensuality is not only defined as sexual pleasure but as using "what we have" to stimulate others. I'm here to please my spouse, not flirting with people not my spouse. Does this make sense to you?