huh?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  15

David Is no saintly King,  he goes from depth of relationship with Lord (Psalms) and slaying Goliath by hand of the Lord (1 Samuel 17) to trusting in Goliath’s sword, “David said to Ahimelech, “Now is there not a spear or a sword on hand? For I brought neither my sword nor my weapons [f]with me, because the king’s matter was urgent.” Then the priest said, “The sword of Goliath the Philistine, whom you killed in the valley of Elah, behold, it is wrapped in a cloth behind the ephod; if you would take it for yourself, take it. For there is no other except it here.” And David said, “There is none like it; give it to me.”

10 Then David arose and fled that day from Saul, and went to Achish king of Gath. 11 But the servants of Achish said to him, “Is this not David the king of the land? Did they not sing of this one as they danced, saying,

‘Saul has slain his thousands,
And David his ten thousands’?”

12 David took these words [h]to heart and greatly feared Achish king of Gath. 13 So he disguised his sanity before them, and acted insanely in their hands, and scribbled on the doors of the gate, and let his saliva run down into his beard. 14 Then Achish said to his servants, “Behold, you see the man behaving as a madman. Why do you bring him to me? 15 Do I lack madmen, that you have brought this one to act the madman in my presence? Shall this one come into my house?” (1 Samuel 21:8-15). 

David slayed Goliath with stones and faith in the Lord who reveals He is cornerstone when He comes in the flesh (Acts 4:10-12, 1 Peter 2:4-8) and the Rock (Matthew 7:24-27). 

David goes from slaying Goliath with faith and stones to trusting in Goliath’s sword and fearing Achish. David slayed a giant and was the one who said, “Some trust in chariots and some in horses, but we trust in the name of the LORD our God.” (Pslam 20:7). I believe this was the beginning of David’s downfall, not Bathsheba and Uriah.

The Lord loves David and calls him a man after His own heart (Acts 13:22). However David commits some mighty offenses: 

1.  David clings to the sword  of Goliath and fears Achish (1 Samuel 21:8-15)

2. David kills Uriah and takes Bathsheba (2 Samuel 11:1-27, 2 Samuel 12:1-31),

3. David tries to build a temple building God does not want (2 Samuel 7:1-53, 2 Chronicles 7:1:1-30, Acts 7:46-51

The greatest thing about David is the Seed that comes from Him (2 Samuel 7:1-53) who is Jesus Christ Son of David according to the flesh and by the Spirit Son of God and God Incarnate. (Romans 1:1-5,  Matthew 1, Luke 1, John 1:1-17, Colossians 2:9, Titus 1:13, 2 Peter 1:1, 1 John 4:15). 

Edited by Fidei Defensor

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  67
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

I do not understand the caricature you presented, is it suppose to be funny? Bible contains rich information about treachery, deceit, treason, disloyalty and betrayal, and when we referring to these negative qualities of our character and personality, we often mentioning Judas Iscariot in relation to betrayal. But it was another betrayal which is has its own outcome and bitter results.

And in this thread I would like to explore the treachery of David, and not because for that he had done with Bathsheba and Uriah the Hittite which we all very well know, but to explore the consequences of his actions and the domino effect on other people and their families who associated and played a part in that story.

So the purpose and the point I would like to make here in this thread that no matter how some of us can “fly” high, we still can fall to the bottom, and such hypocritical statements as, “True Christians do not sin” or “Whoever saved is saved” and other like them are completely false, meaningless, and worthless statements of individuals and the church can be disproved by pointing out to the most dedicated and faithful to GOD personalities of the Bible, who were so close to GOD like no one else, but still tumble deep into transgression despite their very high standing before GOD.

David when he had affair with Bathsheba and killed her husband, betrayed not only the Lord in these actions, but also his closer adviser and perhaps one of the closest friends and destroyed his family.

When prophet Nathan approached David and told him everything that he had done and what the Lord GOD will do to him for his evil deeds, David said to the prophet, "I have sinned against the Lord," and David certainly thought that he would die, and even before David said another word, prophet Nathan, almost like he actually read the thoughts and mind of David, told him immediately that he would not die, the Lord GOD forgave him his sins, right on the spot, before even David asked for forgiveness. (2Samuel 12.9-14.19)

Forgiveness of GOD came to David quickly, but GOD did not leave him unpunished, David paid dearly for his sins.

1Kings 15.4-5

4.But for David's sake, the Lord his GOD gave him a lamp in Jerusalem, to rise up his son after him and to establish Jerusalem,

5.because David did what was right in the sight of the Lord and had not turned aside from anything that He commanded him all the days of his life, except in the case of Uriah the Hittite.

When David’s son Absalom rebelled against his father and established himself as a king in Jerusalem and David with his men fled from Absalom, certain David’s men and officials turned on the side of David’s son against him, and among them was David’s best adviser Ahithophel ("brother of folly").

When David heard that Ahithophel was among the conspirators against him, he immediately prayed to the Lord to turn Ahithophel’s advise into foolishness (2Samuel 15.31), because advise of Ahithophel always was so good that it was even compared to advise of the GOD Himself. (2Samuel 16.23)

But why such smart and intelligent man like Ahithophel would take the side of conspirators against David? What David has done to him so bad, and why Ahithophel was unhappy with David? In order to answer these questions we have to look at the genealogy of major players in this story.

We know that Bathsheba was the wife of Uriah Hittite, but who was the Bathsheba herself? She was the daughter of Eliam (or Amiel in some Bibles) 2Samuel 11.3. But who was the Eliam-Amiel? He was the son of Ahithophel (2Samuel 23.34).

Special thanks to Zodhiates, one of the best scholar I know so far, the editor of KSB Bible. He is very good with genealogies, which is my weakest point, and when I looked at the reference he provided, everything about relation between David and Ahithophel came to me clear.

Now we know why Ahithophel betrayed David and turned on the side of his enemies, because David betrayed him by defile his granddaughter Bathsheba and by killing her husband Uriah. Another word, David destroyed the family of Ahithophel. David betrayed his closest adviser and perhaps one of the best friends besides Jonathan the son of Saul who perished with his father in the battle with Philistines some time before this accident.

And so, about whom David wrote this Psalm? Who was such friend of David? Not necessary Ahithophel, but it is a reasonable possibility.

Psalm of David 55.12-14.20-21

12.It is not enemies who taunt me, I could bear that, it is not adversaries who deal insolently with me, I could hide from them.

13.But it is you, my equal, my companion, my familiar friend,

14.with whom I kept pleasant company, we walked in the House of GOD with the throng (crowd, multitude).

20.My companion laid hands on a friend and violated a covenant with me,

21.with speech smoother than butter, but with a heart set on war, with words that were softer than oil, but in fact were drawn swords.

Did David know who actually Bathsheba was when he saw her and sent to find out who she was? Most likely he knew, it was reported to him that she is the daughter of Eliam-Amiel (2Samuel 11.3). Did David know who was the Eliam-Amiel the father of Bathsheba? This question is impossible to answer, because no clues or any kind of reference is given about it. But we may assume that he knew who was Eliam-Amiel, because who would not know the family, or at least a son or a daughter of the closest adviser, right-hand man, or his own best friend?

If David knew who Eliam-Amiel was and still moved forward to have Bathsheba, this is very wicked deed on his part and pure betrayal of trust and friendship of his closest man Ahithophel. But if did not know who was Eliam-Amiel, it looks a little strange, but in this case his betrayal of Ahithophel does not look so severe, because if he knew, he would probably stop his advances toward Bathsheba.

And this is why Ahithophel betrayed David and decided to take revenge on him for destroying his family. So now we have score: David : 2, Ahithophel : 0. In order to make even with David, first priority of Ahithophel was to defile all concubines of David in front of all Israel and Judah. And on advice of Ahithophel Absalom went to David’s concubines in the sight of all people of Israel and Judah. So just like David defiled Bathsheba in secret, so the David’s concubines were defiled in public. Such outcome for those who do iniquities in secret, also was predicted by Christ Who declared it in one of His speeches that things done in secret will be known to all (Matthew 10.26) (Mark 4.22) (Luke 8.17, 12.2-3).

So now we have score: David : 2, Ahitophel : 1. Now Ahithophel planning another revenge on David to make the score even, to take his life, just like he took the life of Uriah the Hittite, the husband of Bathsheba. But it was not in the plans of GOD to kill David, and GOD did not turn advise of Ahithophel into foolishness as David asked Him about (2Samuel 15.31), but the Lord turned into foolishness the decision of Absalom and his advisers, and they chose the wrong advise. Ordinary speaking, if they would took the Ahitophel’s advice, David certainly will be dead in the matter of hours.

When Ahithophel saw what was happen and his advised was not taken and ignored, he knew that now he has no chance of survival, to make even with David, no less receive a pardon from him. So he went home, put his house in order, and hanged himself. It is a very tragic end for him and for his entire family who already suffered enough. Truly, I feel sorry for this man.

Some other questions in this story still remain unanswered, such as, “Does the sexual relation of David and Bathsheba was consensual or not?” Could she resist David’s advances or she willingly consented and gave up herself to him? I think she had a chance to walk away, or if have been forced, to yell and scream and run out of the palace if she could wanted it. And I am positive and sure about that David would not pursue her or try to physically force her and rape her, because this locomotion would be heard and known to all David’s servants in his palace.

So the point here is to draw a certain lesson and conclusion from this affair, and not to think about self too much in terms of faithfulness and loyalty to GOD, because temptation of any sort can come suddenly and silently and very forcefully, and take away us without even been noticed by us, but the consequences and results of such temptation will be very bitter and painful for life. And remember, GOD forgave David his transgression, but He did not leave him unpunished, this means that often punishment comes before forgiveness, and absolutely no hope to escape the justice of GOD.