• Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  40,780
  • Content Per Day:  7.95
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

I was reminded that even in the least toward Him and His this

Matt 10:42

42 And whosoever shall give to drink unto one of these little ones a cup of cold water only in the name of a disciple, verily I say unto you, he shall in no wise lose his reward.
KJV
How carefully He looks to the things of His!

• Loved it! 1
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,204
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

38 minutes ago, Annette said:

Hi guys,

I am sure many of you have heard this poem. I heard it again yesterday and lines from it keep coming back to mind. 

Thought I would share it with you.

God bless.

Only one life, ’twill soon be past, 
Only what’s done for Christ will last.

The first time I heard that short verse was in a sermon from my pastor thirty five years ago. His young daughter had made a little plaque  with those words above and gave it to him for his birthday, and the heart of his message flowed out of the meaning. It has always caused me to stop and think, to reconsider my goals, my walk. Just what  really is important?
  What's done for Christ.

I hadn't known it was only part of the larger poem. Below a small excerpt of his bio. Thanks Annette....

"In 1884 after his brother George was taken seriously ill Charles was confronted by the question, "What is all the fame and flattery worth ... when a man comes to face eternity?" He had to admit that since his conversion six years earlier he had been in "an unhappy backslidden state". As a result of the experience he said, "I know that cricket would not last, and honour would not last, and nothing in this world would last, but it was worthwhile living for the world to come."   (cool thinking)

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  65
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,568
  • Content Per Day:  1.40
  • Days Won:  7

23 hours ago, enoob57 said:

I was reminded that even in the least toward Him and His this

Matt 10:42

42 And whosoever shall give to drink unto one of these little ones a cup of cold water only in the name of a disciple, verily I say unto you, he shall in no wise lose his reward.
KJV
How carefully He looks to the things of His!

Agreed! 

We have a Father whose love goes far beyond anything we can imagine. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

22 hours ago, Gary Lee said:

The first time I heard that short verse was in a sermon from my pastor thirty five years ago. His young daughter had made a little plaque  with those words above and gave it to him for his birthday, and the heart of his message flowed out of the meaning. It has always caused me to stop and think, to reconsider my goals, my walk. Just what  really is important?
  What's done for Christ.

I hadn't known it was only part of the larger poem. Below a small excerpt of his bio. Thanks Annette....

"In 1884 after his brother George was taken seriously ill Charles was confronted by the question, "What is all the fame and flattery worth ... when a man comes to face eternity?" He had to admit that since his conversion six years earlier he had been in "an unhappy backslidden state". As a result of the experience he said, "I know that cricket would not last, and honour would not last, and nothing in this world would last, but it was worthwhile living for the world to come."   (cool thinking)

Thanks for sharing that Gary. It is amazing that the words to that poem has stuck with you through all the years.  

I am glad that I shared it here then.

It gives a whole new perspective on life when we stop and think about what really matters. 

God bless :)

• Loved it! 1
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  40,780
  • Content Per Day:  7.95
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

1 hour ago, Annette said:

Agreed! 

We have a Father whose love goes far beyond anything we can imagine. 

Pressed down and overflowing from His unlimited resource of Self...

• Loved it! 2

• Topic Count:  1,192
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  7,264
  • Content Per Day:  1.19
  • Days Won:  194

On 8/6/2018 at 7:20 AM, Annette said:

Hi guys,

I am sure many of you have heard this poem. I heard it again yestetday and lines from it keep coming back to mind. 

Thought I would share it with you.

God bless.

d00a6b25d778fbd4cad06f22961db4bb.jpg.096a85a0bc0af3265f4df067b1da271a.jpg

:thumbsup:Thank you so much for posting this!

This poem holds special meaning for me, as I will explain in a reply below. You are a:) blessing to me and to Worthy, Annette.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Loved it! 1

On 8/6/2018 at 8:24 AM, Gary Lee said:

What's done for Christ.

:) Sweet story about your Pastor's young daughter and the plaque. 

So cool that those two lines stuck with you all these years! I have a similar story. I grew up in the church. As a little girl my Pastor would occasionally say this. I have not forgotten, though I am middle aged now. It was a favorite quote of his and has become one of mine. Packs a lot of meaning into a short verse. Like you, I had no idea it was part of a full poem. I love it! It's a keeper.

I appreciate you sharing from the bio of C.T. Studd. I love the simple but profound answer he gave to that question in 1884!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

@Annette  I wanted to ask you where it was that you found this poem. I am putting together a scrapbook of favorite poems and would like to print it off for this (including his photo.) It would be a nice addition...

:laugh:In case you haven't guessed, I am a poetry buff. I have 9 originals that I've written... posted over in our Poetry Club here at Worthy. You are personally invited, Annette:)I hope you will come check us out. (If you have any trouble finding it, just let me know and I will be glad to direct you/post a link.) God bless you. And thanks again.

12 minutes ago, turtletwo said:

@Annette  I wanted to ask you where it was that you found this poem. I am putting together a scrapbook of favorite poems and would like to print it off for this (including his photo.) It would be a nice addition...

:laugh:In case you haven't guessed, I am a poetry buff. I have 9 originals that I've written... posted over in our Poetry Club here at Worthy. You are personally invited, Annette:)I hope you will come check us out. (If you have any trouble finding it, just let me know and I will be glad to direct you/post a link.) God bless you. And thanks again.

Hi TurtleTwo,

I only had a couple lines of the poem myself. I googled CT Studd Poem and then searched the poem as an image.

Over the last couple weeks or so at church we have been given the chance to focus on what really matters.  A couple stanzas were read. I came home and looked for the rest :)

I see that you can just googke CT Studd poem and different links show up, where the poem is written out.

I will look for the poetry club.  Thank you 

• Thanks 1