Jayne

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  106
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,810
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

If you've read the Bible, then you know about Joab - King David's commander of his armies.

Joab was a brilliant strategist - a great military leader, but as you know, if you've studied him, he was a rogue killer. He killed men for personal reasons - having nothing to do with being a soldier.

After many, many years - David relieved Joab of duty. He replaced him with Amasa. When a new enemy came, stronger than the last, David sent Amasa to gather the troops. Joab was there with them, still fighting, but not leading anymore.

Joab greets Amasa. And walking to him, Joab's dagger falls out of his sheath. He retrieves it. He reach for Amasa's face to kiss him on the face as men in that day did. He even called Amasa "brother" and asked how he was doing. It was a typical peaceful greeting.

Yet as he greeted Amasa, Joab stuck his dagger in Amasa's belly with such force that his intestines came out and he died.

What I have left out of that story is that the Bible says that during the greeting, Amasa did not guard against the dagger in Joab's hand. Another version said he did not observe the dagger.

How could he not? Does he not KNOW Joab's reputation of killing for personal reasons? Has he not seen Joab's actions in battle? Here's a man who dropped his dagger, picked it up, but did not put it back in it's sheath. Surely a military man would know that if the dagger is pulled it is going to be used. Unused - it goes in the sheath.

Amasa died because he was not "on guard" against the evil that Joab was about to commit that was literally right under his very nose.

I say all that to say this. You and I are going to HAVE to be more on guard or observant of the evil around us.

We are FAR passed the point of saying:

• "Not my child."
  • "Not my household"
  • "Not my church."
  • "Not me."
  • "Not my spouse."
  • "Not my town."
  • "Not my preacher/teacher/brother in Christ."

The evil that is everywhere never sleeps. The devil is ruthless. The devil is mean. Evil IS in our homes, families, churches, communities, and more.

We can't fight what we refuse to acknowledge.

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  951
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,559
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

The victory is already obtained. I need not fight, but instead celebrate, for even if a knife opens my belly to the death of this corruptible body I live on eternally with God. There is no victory for death and there is no defeat in my death. All die save a couple so far.

I need not be on guard against deceit. I need be on guard lest I be the deceit fooling myself and perhaps others.  I only need know truth not deceit, for truth makes falsehood stand out more than falsehood being examined exposes falsehood. 

So many have been martyred in the name of Jesus, they suffered a comparatively short though often very violent end, so that many may hear and heed the call  by the Holy Spirit too. A knife in the belly does no harm to the eternal soul. The flesh, it is corruptible and temporary anyway. To be free of it is to be with Jesus, praise God and enjoy  the moment for it's opportunities to celebrate our Lord.

Edited by Neighbor

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  106
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,810
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

2 hours ago, Neighbor said:

The victory is already obtained. I need not fight, but instead celebrate, for even if a knife opens my belly to the death of this corruptible body I live on eternally with God. There is no victory for death and there is no defeat in my death. All die save a couple so far.

I need not be on guard against deceit. I need be on guard lest I be the deceit fooling myself and perhaps others.  I only need know truth not deceit, for truth makes falsehood stand out more than falsehood being examined exposes falsehood. 

So many have been martyred in the name of Jesus, they suffered a comparatively short though often very violent end, so that many may hear and heed the call  by the Holy Spirit too. A knife in the belly does no harm to the eternal soul. The flesh, it is corruptible and temporary anyway. To be free of it is to be with Jesus, praise God and enjoy  the moment for it's opportunities to celebrate our Lord.

I think you missed my entire point.

1 minute ago, Jayne said:

I think you missed my entire point.

I almost always do. 

• Haha 1

I do not fear being "stabbed" by a friend, by family, nor by foe. I share of Jesus without fearing my family, my friends, strangers or even known foes. That is not a denial of any of them, nor the capacity of any to do me harm. But in truth what harm can anyone do to any saint in Christ Jesus? As, to die is to say "Hello Lord Jesus".

So I shall not seek out the evil in anyone, but the joy of my Lord and live in my awe that He loves me and has provided me with eternal life with Him, despite my total unworthiness, my complete lack of personal merit.

I will live out life in this corruptible flesh in joy no matter the circumstance of this or any day. I count it all as joy.

Edited by Neighbor

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  33
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

Good Topic..

We encounter spiritual battles / warfare during our journey.

To face / overcome battles, put on the full armor of God. - ( Ephesians 6:11-17 )

Also, you need "discernment and wisdom".

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  32
  • Topic Count:  475
  • Topics Per Day:  0.17
  • Content Count:  6,557
  • Content Per Day:  2.28
  • Days Won:  9

5 hours ago, Neighbor said:

I do not fear being "stabbed" by a friend, by family, nor by foe. I share of Jesus without fearing my family, my friends, strangers or even known foes. That is not a denial of any of them, nor the capacity of any to do me harm. But in truth what harm can anyone do to any saint in Christ Jesus? As, to die is to say "Hello Lord Jesus".

So I shall not seek out the evil in anyone, but the joy of my Lord and live in my awe that He loves me and has provided me with eternal life with Him, despite my total unworthiness, my complete lack of personal merit.

I will live out life in this corruptible flesh in joy no matter the circumstance of this or any day. I count it all as joy.

Neighbor you have to watch your back and front. Jesus said be wise as wolves but meek as lambs. I agree we don't need to fear them who kill the body but after that can do nothing. But Jesus also told the disciples to now take a sword with them. We shold protect ourself physically and spiritual too.

• Followers:  32
  • Topic Count:  475
  • Topics Per Day:  0.17
  • Content Count:  6,557
  • Content Per Day:  2.28
  • Days Won:  9

20 hours ago, Jayne said:

If you've read the Bible, then you know about Joab - King David's commander of his armies.

Joab was a brilliant strategist - a great military leader, but as you know, if you've studied him, he was a rogue killer. He killed men for personal reasons - having nothing to do with being a soldier.

After many, many years - David relieved Joab of duty. He replaced him with Amasa. When a new enemy came, stronger than the last, David sent Amasa to gather the troops. Joab was there with them, still fighting, but not leading anymore.

Joab greets Amasa. And walking to him, Joab's dagger falls out of his sheath. He retrieves it. He reach for Amasa's face to kiss him on the face as men in that day did. He even called Amasa "brother" and asked how he was doing. It was a typical peaceful greeting.

Yet as he greeted Amasa, Joab stuck his dagger in Amasa's belly with such force that his intestines came out and he died.

What I have left out of that story is that the Bible says that during the greeting, Amasa did not guard against the dagger in Joab's hand. Another version said he did not observe the dagger.

How could he not? Does he not KNOW Joab's reputation of killing for personal reasons? Has he not seen Joab's actions in battle? Here's a man who dropped his dagger, picked it up, but did not put it back in it's sheath. Surely a military man would know that if the dagger is pulled it is going to be used. Unused - it goes in the sheath.

Amasa died because he was not "on guard" against the evil that Joab was about to commit that was literally right under his very nose.

I say all that to say this. You and I are going to HAVE to be more on guard or observant of the evil around us.

We are FAR passed the point of saying:

• "Not my child."
  • "Not my household"
  • "Not my church."
  • "Not me."
  • "Not my spouse."
  • "Not my town."
  • "Not my preacher/teacher/brother in Christ."

The evil that is everywhere never sleeps. The devil is ruthless. The devil is mean. Evil IS in our homes, families, churches, communities, and more.

We can't fight what we refuse to acknowledge.

The devil is so real. He is smart and wise. He watches us to see if he can attack us in anyway. The only way is the Armour of God. The devil will even try to physically kill us too. By setting us up somehow. Maybe he will influence someone to break into ones house. So it's good to be prepared. Good post.

13 hours ago, Davida said:

Well, thanks for sharing your thoughts Neighbor but really all of That is not anything what Jayne is speaking about. It isn't what the spiritual battle is about imo either.   No one is  "seeking out evil" in anyone & spiritual awareness & discernment grows when a person spiritually matures.  If there was no reason to be aware of battles we face in the physical and spiritual battles, then why does the Bible include so many scriptures & teachings about struggles,internal & external struggles, personal  betrayals, spiritual battles, wolves, false teachers, spiritual evil in high places, physical battles, etc.?   the OP reiterated about Joab and Amasa and explained it beautifully & profoundly, but unfortunately the truth & weight of her illustration like spiritual discernment will get missed by many. 

I am addressing the application  for me as I see it. And yes most often the author of the OP and I are on very different wave lengths!!! And that is fine. I am sharing of my own thoughts for those that may have similar differences with the OP, or those that may wonder if there are differing thoughts, and not to convince the author of it of anything, anything at all. But thanks for injecting your own opinion of what  the author and I have stated. 

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  22

53 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

I am addressing the application  for me as I see it. And yes most often the author of the OP and I are on very different wave lengths!!! And that is fine. I am sharing of my own thoughts for those that may have similar differences with the OP, or those that may wonder if there are differing thoughts, and not to convince the author of it of anything, anything at all. But thanks for injecting your own opinion of what  the author and I have stated. 

not trying to insert myself into the middle of your other conversation here, but there are biblical principals that actually do apply in agreement with the op

I mean, why do we have the spiritual armor?  or why should we be aware of the devil's schemes?

I find that the OT battles can often be a very appropriate example of spiritual battles so many of us may have

having a difference of personal application or opinion is common all the way round, but the Bible says that all of it is good for instruction etc

the 'battle' is real and often enough is not personal but may be for the benefit of another who needs prayer...who needs someone to 'battle' on their behalf

these things are real and that is what the OP was addressing IMO...an actual biblical principal

I understand what you wrote...but as has been said, that is not the point

sorry if I belabored it to you