Jen77

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  22

I'm just wondering if you have been recently saved?  (as you say you have only started reading the Bible lately)

I think you have some good answers here...the ones I agreed with haha...but seriously, don't let people condemn you especially when they do not even know you

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  8
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Thank you so much for the encouraging posts.  I see there's much to be done on my end before God's plan comes together.  It is amazing to have such a response the first post I've put up here.

I'm prepared to meet with my minister as well for his input.  Hopefully some time I'll be on here to help someone in these forums, as you've helped me.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.34
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

9 hours ago, Jen77 said:

I am new in reading the Bible, and last night I read this passage that made me close the book and start crying.  In Matthew 5:32, Jesus denounces divorce, stating that any man who divorces his wife other than for adultery, has caused her to become and adulteress.  I got divorced after 12 years for reasons other than adultery.  I'm discouraged in reading this, because it basically means that I will never be honored with another relationship blessed by God, even if it is with a Godly man, because I have become an adulteress through my divorce.  I am only 32 and this is extremely depressing.  Any thoughts or words of encouragement on this? 

HERE is some real good encouragement .    I too years ago put away my wife .     A few years after that I came to Christ .   I read what you read and other parts in the bible .

I have all joy , happiness , and great peace and I am single .  KNOWING I cannot remarry .  YET he who does JESUS sayings ,  HAPPY ARE THEY .

Gaurantee you that .    GOD changes the heart and gives us the desires that honor HIM .     Yes mam.   I have been single and JESUS words are just as honey to the soul .

Not a one is heavy  , not a one is griveious ,  they all joyful in my heart ,  his yoke is light , his burden easy .     GOD gives us all we need

IN CHRIST , to honor HIM .     God will give us all we need .    The thing is when we focus on things we ought not to do ,  HIS sayings can become heavy to us .

MY advice .    DO not remarry .    JESUS said it ,   we honor HIM .   I promise if you become fully persuaded that you truly want to HONOR HE who saved you.

GAURANTEE you will have JOY , PEACE just obeying HIM .     Folks don't want to believe that ,   BUT ITS TRUE .    ALL we need IS CHRIST .

I say again ,  I warn it too.  Do not remarry .  YOU JUST go after the LORD with all your heart soul ,    AND I PROMISE your joy will be full .

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  15

11 hours ago, Jen77 said:

I am new in reading the Bible, and last night I read this passage that made me close the book and start crying.  In Matthew 5:32, Jesus denounces divorce, stating that any man who divorces his wife other than for adultery, has caused her to become and adulteress.  I got divorced after 12 years for reasons other than adultery.  I'm discouraged in reading this, because it basically means that I will never be honored with another relationship blessed by God, even if it is with a Godly man, because I have become an adulteress through my divorce.  I am only 32 and this is extremely depressing.  Any thoughts or words of encouragement on this? 

There is a passage on Leviticus that a wife may leave a husband (divorce) over abuse which counts the same as adulterey.

Does that pertain at all to your situation?

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  67
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

To Jen.

I think you do not properly understand Matthew 5.32. You do not automatically become adulterers if your husband divorced you, you will become adulterers if after your divorce you will remarry, but for now, as long as you remain single, you are not adulterers.

Words “makes her commit adultery” means that by divorcing his wife man give his ex-wife opportunity to marry another man or simply get lose, and by this he makes her commit adultery.

It is also very important who divorced whom, because the guilt of divorce will remain on the party who initiated divorce first. Divorce does not recognized by GOD as legitimate action, even more He hate divorce.

Malachi 2.16

16."I have hate divorce" (Deuteronomy 24.1-4), says the Lord, the GOD of Israel, 'And him who covers his garment with wrong,' says the Lord of hosts. So take heed to your spirit, that you do not deal treacherously.

Matthew 19.5-6

5.and said, "For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh?" (Genesis 2.24)

6.So they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore, what GOD has joined together, let no one separate.”

Some people referring to the Divorce Letter allowed by Moses in order to make their own divorce legitimate and justifiable.

Matthew 19.7-11

7.They said to Him, “Why then Moses command us to give a Certificate of Dismissal and to divorce her?” (Deuteronomy 24.1-4) (Matthew 5.31, 19.3-7-8-12) (Mark 10.2-4-5-12)

8.He said to them, “It was because you were so hard-hearted that Moses allowed you to divorce your wives, but from the beginning it was not so.

9.And I say to you, whoever divorces his wife, except for unchastely (unfaithfulness, adultery), and marries another, commits adultery.”

So this means, that if someone considered himself or herself “hard-hearted” as Jesus pointed out, and divorces his or her spouse, and remain unmarried and does not having any sexual relation with another person, but remain single, may not sinned, but using the only option given by Moses.

From the Christian point of view such person who divorces his or her spouse deal TREACHEROUSLY (Malachi 2.16) against him or her, and TREACHURY is not a part of Christian character and personality, and by this such person forfeits and defiled his /her own faith and salvation, because those who betrayal another person, much more husband or wife, most likely will not enter the Kingdom of GOD, because treachery and betrayal are serious offenses not only against any human being but against GOD Himself and against His Statute, as indicated in Matthew 19.5-6.

If your husband divorced you, he cannot remarry even on the widow, the only chance he had is to get back to you. You on the other hand also cannot remarry, because your husband is still alive. If divorce was initiated by you, same rule applies and for you.

10.His disciples said to Him, “If such is the case of a man with his wife, it is better not to marry.”

11.But He said to them, Not everyone can accept this teaching, but only those to whom it is given.”

There are also certain rules for those who are Christian and marry non-Christian, but I think this does not applies to you. Read carefully these verses below, it will make you better understand divorce and remarriage among Christians.

Marriage to Divorcee: (Deuteronomy 24.4) (Jeremiah 3.1) (Malachi 2.13-16) (Matthew 5.31-32, 19.3-9-12) (Luke 16.18) (1Corinthians 7.1-10-17.25-39-40) (Romans 7.3).

Hebrews 13.4

4.Let marriage be held in honor by all, and let the marriage be kept undefined, GOD will judge fornications and adulterers.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  414
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  1,273
  • Content Per Day:  0.36

5 hours ago, Cobalt1959 said:

You need more study in this area and your post has zero usefulness to someone requiring both good and biblical counseling, as well as encouragement.

Is divorce an unforgivable sin?  Is re-marriage an unforgivable sin?  In the context you use the word "absolute," yes God's word is absolute in this matter, to a legalist who doesn't understand these passages.

See what you are doing is you're  applying fancy verbatim  to bend scripture to your opinion.Jesus makes his point very straight forward and clear in the verse  that remarriagr except for fornication is leading to adultery.

You need to be careful because you and staying alive are using your opinion to encourage the lady to sin.  if you do that you could be setting yourself up for God to deal with you. 

and yes divorce  and remarriage aren't the unforgivable sin but that doesn't mean we should wilfully sin knowing God will forgive us. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Oy Vey! 1

8 hours ago, Still Alive said:

Heh. Yes you can, if you look at who he was talking to and what he was trying to communicate, and then remember that this is not an eyewitness account, but a written book based on verbal input, decades after the fact.

After all, Paul said that it is better to not marry, but if you burn, you need to marry, because it is better to marry than to burn with passion.

So, if you are divorced, and burn with passion, for crying out loud, get married!

re-read that and see if it's making  any sense.  Hint- it doesn't. That sounds more like an excuse people give give disregard any part of the bible  they don't like.

2 Timothy 3.16- all scripture is given by inspiration of God and is good for reproof correction instruction  in righteousness. That verse regardless  if how long it took to be recorded  was given by Jesus to answer a specific question  about a specific issue -divorce. it's  not to be disregarded or claim itvwas for the jews only. never have have ever heard that any  of jesus' sayings were no longer applicable to people. its not like the ot law that has passed.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Oy Vey! 1

14 hours ago, Jen77 said:

it is a difficult situation to be in and I sympathise. however, id advise you to pray  for God to reveal the meaning i the verse to you directly because the many differing opinions and questionable  imput may confuse you even more 

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.88
  • Days Won:  5

My heart breaks for you , Jen77. You come to a supposed Christian site looking for love and understanding and 99% of what you find is judgement and condemnation.Its as if you have been thrown to a modern- day den of legalistic, old- Testament mentality Pharisees.As a sin,divorce can’t hold a candle to murder. Never forget that our Bible was mostly written mainly by murderers( Moses David Paul) All forgiven,loved by God and considered heroes.We all sin every hour of every day.Big sins , little sins. All Covered by the Grace of God and the Shed Blood Of Christ.There’s a word I have not seen mentioned in all these judgmental postings—— GRACE! If you believe Jesus died for your sins , and if you believe He rose from the dead, you are a forever saved Member of the Body of Christ.You are untouchable.Do the same thing with your sin that your LOVING Father did. Put that sin of adultery on the Cross and leave it there!You are saved by your faith....your performance is a stench in Gods nostrils—— just like my performance and everybody else’s.Paul said we are to be meek,humble and forgiving when a fellow Believer stumbles.Why? It may be THEM in the hot seat next time! Please accept the forgiveness that is already yours.As you have no doubt learned the hard way, we pay for our sins in our Earthly lives.NOBODY enjoys a divorce.You have no doubt been chastised enough.Thank Jesus for His Grace and forgiveness and move on in you Christian walk.Ask God for His peace in this matter....He is eager to grant it to you! It’s called “ MERCY”—— another non-existent word in this thread of guilt and hypocrisy.Never consider yourself a third rate Christian.We all have the potential to be the best or the worst.Some need to learn this. God bless you, fine Sister!

• Thumbs Up 1

Guest shiloh357
19 hours ago, Jen77 said:

It's important to understand the historical background as to what Jesus was actually addressing.   You can see this in other places where Jesus addresses divorce.   

The religious leaders of Israel, namely the Pharisees, were prone to frivolous divorces.  They managed to create a loophole for themselves to divorce their current wife for hardly any reason at all if they saw a younger girl they wanted. Ususally, they divorced their current wives to marry  girls who would bring a handsome dowry into the marriage.  They essentially married her for her money.

They would make  up a frivolous, invalid reason for the divorce and they were able to use their authority to make the divorce final.   That is what Jesus is addressing, essentially.    He is NOT saying that the ONLY valid reason for divorce is infidelity.   That is not the point he is making.   He is not saying that a woman has to remain in a marriage with an physically, sexually abusive man, for example.   

When these men engaged in these kinds of frivolous divorces, the divorces were invalid and violated the marriage covenant before God, as God does not recognize these kinds of divorces.   In God's eyes, they were still married.    So for that reason, for them to remarry someone else, was an act of adultery since God does not honor those kinds of frivolous divorces.  That is what Jesus was addressing.

The Bible does not teach that divorce and remarriage makes someone an adulterer across the board.  There are valid reasons for divorce outside of infidelity.