How do you keep from feeling better than other human beings if you say you are saved and others are not? Even if you say you are better off than them, how do you not walk in spiritual arrogance?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Vera Bradley said:

How do you keep from feeling better than other human beings if you say you are saved and others are not? Even if you say you are better off than them, how do you not walk in spiritual arrogance?

Romans 12:3
For by the grace (unmerited favor of God) given to me I warn everyone among you not to estimate and think of himself more highly than he ought [not to have an exaggerated opinion of his own importance], but to rate his ability with sober judgment, each according to the degree of faith apportioned by God to him.

First of all, there is no such thing as spiritual arrogance regarding the Holy Spirit.  That is a complete oxymoron.  Second, Our Grace is a gift, not anything we earned, or are even capable of earning. The ONLY thing that makes us better off than "them" is God's Grace, otherwise we are ALL sinners who must bear the wages of sin without Christs's salvation. If you are feeling "better" than other human beings who have not believed then you are not walking in the Spirit, but in pride. Such feelings serve as a red flag and wake up warning, so be grateful God is checking your spirit to stop you from sin! :o

Galatians 5:16 [Full Chapter]
But I say, walk and live [habitually] in the [Holy] Spirit [responsive to andcontrolled and guided by the Spirit]; then you will certainly not gratify thecravings and desires of the flesh (of human nature without God).

Galatians 5:22-24 Amplified Bible, Classic Edition (AMPC)

22 But the fruit of the [Holy] Spirit [the work which His presence within accomplishes] is love, joy (gladness), peace, patience (an even temper, forbearance), kindness, goodness (benevolence), faithfulness,

23 Gentleness (meekness, humility), self-control (self-restraint, continence). Against such things there is no law [[a]that can bring a charge].

24 And those who belong to Christ Jesus (the Messiah) have crucified the flesh (the godless human nature) with its passions and appetites anddesires.

Proverbs 11:2 Amplified Bible, Classic Edition (AMPC)

When swelling and pride come, then emptiness and shame come also, but with the humble (those who are lowly, who have been pruned or chiseled by trial, and renounce self) are skillful and godly Wisdom andsoundness.

Ephesians 4:3 Amplified Bible, Classic Edition (AMPC)

Be eager and strive earnestly to guard and keep the harmony andoneness of [and produced by] the Spirit in the binding power of peace.

Hope these answer your question!

Cheers!!! :)

Edited by RockyMidnight
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1

Posted (edited)

Being saved does not make you better. It just makes you saved. It's really that simple.

I know plenty of people that are better than me but are not saved (yet).

Edited by Still Alive

Because salvation is not works based... it is nothing man could have done to gain. Jesus' life of perfection was imputed to me as mine...

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Praise God! 1

God's blessings and salvation is free to all who will earnestly seek Him and receive the remedy for sin that He provided in Jesus the Messiah.  Instead of feeling better than others, we have godly compassion and wish to see all share in His undeserved favor and salvation.  We have compassion because of how miserable we were before we accepted Jesus a our Lord and King.  It is so freeing to serve God and completely horrible to be a slave to sin and satan.  I was miserable when I was filled with hatred and self-righteousness as one who had not surrendered to Christ.  The self righteousness came when I was trying to be a good person and did not realize how ugly my sin  and imperfection was.  Salvation is a free gift to whomever will humbly come and receive from God.  We would like to see all receive the blessings of God.

• Praise God! 2

7 hours ago, Vera Bradley said:

This is a very good question and another close to it is how do you even know that you are bound by spiritual pride....I have been praying Psalm 51:10 over my life for 20 years and just this past year God began to reveal what was in my heart that He wanted to purge.....and to my shock one was spiritual pride....wow....and He took me through some instances in my past where I would sit in a pew and listen to a pastor teach and know in my heart that he really had no clue as to what that scripture actually referred to......Other instances is where I had friends, co-workers and acquaintances call or come to visit me and share something that was burdening them and I would think to myself I am really gifted because they always come to me for prayer and advice.....SMH. Well, spiritual pride is something that has probably operated through most at one time or another....I never thought I was better off than a person who wasn't saved because I could relate and put myself in their shoes and remember from whence I came.....I think for me spiritual pride had a lot to do with my calling....so ugh....guilty at one time....repented...now I stay humble. These Christian forums really tested me though.....I would argue with someone about my beliefs over theirs... 

9 hours ago, Willa said:

God's blessings and salvation is free to all who will earnestly seek Him and receive the remedy for sin that He provided in Jesus the Messiah.  Instead of feeling better than others, we have godly compassion and wish to see all share in His undeserved favor and salvation.  We have compassion because of how miserable we were before we accepted Jesus a our Lord and King.  It is so freeing to serve God and completely horrible to be a slave to sin and satan.  I was miserable when I was filled with hatred and self-righteousness as one who had not surrendered to Christ.  The self righteousness came when I was trying to be a good person and did not realize how ugly my sin  and imperfection was.  Salvation is a free gift to whomever will humbly come and receive from God.  We would like to see all receive the blessings of God.

It is very difficult to imagine you “ filled with hatred”. Glad I never met the old you! Lol.......God is amazing , isn’t he........I have enough sin to fill a warehouse, but I always tell others who criticize me , often with justification, that as terrible as I am  , think what I’d be like without the Holy Spirit in me.....not a pretty picture....

Those who are forgiven much, love much. Sometimes we just have to be shown by God how ugly our sin was in His eyes.  God's grace is truly wonderful and amazing.  He could turn Saul around and make him a Paul.  There was a little Saul in all of us.  John was one of the "Sons of Thunder".  God transformed him into the most loving apostle.  Simon was a wimp, and God made him Peter, a mighty evangelist.  Praise His Holy Name!  

The Holy Spirit calls you. Others preach/teach it to you. God grants it. Jesus died for it. In short, true salvation has nothing to do with the person being saved. It is not something that someone has achieved. It is a gift. And it is only given to the truly broken individual who realizes and admits their own unworthiness and helplessness. There are a lot of people who claim to be Christians who are not humble, and who don't even really know what it means to truly be saved and follow God, and their haughtiness tarnishes the reputation of true salvation and Christianity.

• This is Worthy 1

2 hours ago, BK1110 said:

The Holy Spirit calls you. Others preach/teach it to you. God grants it. Jesus died for it. In short, true salvation has nothing to do with the person being saved. It is not something that someone has achieved. It is a gift. And it is only given to the truly broken individual who realizes and admits their own unworthiness and helplessness. There are a lot of people who claim to be Christians who are not humble, and who don't even really know what it means to truly be saved and follow God, and their haughtiness tarnishes the reputation of true salvation and Christianity.

Great post! The contrite heart you describe is what God has been searching for.THAT is the repentance unto Salvation.Not the madness of using what called Paul referred to as “ will worship” to give up sinning.What a sad joke.Demanding something from a man bereft of The Holy Spirit to do something that even somebody as spiritual as Paul could not even do .Its tough to put your finger on the lacking ingredient in some people’s “Christianity”. Great men of God show a humility that follows them throughout their ministries .They have seen what they are , they know what they are and are forever thankful for God’s Grace.I believe it was Spurgeon that remarked with true humility that when he ascended the pulpit, he could not believe that the crowd did not stone him to death .One that does not understand that type of thinking that is carried through the entirety of the Christian walk has never experienced true repentance.They would not recognize true repentance that leads to salvation if itvcame up and bit them on their posteriors.That is the missing element....that is why they seem different....that is why they are lost. Pray that God grant these Religionists the Holy Spirit’s gift of self- insight, seeing themselves as God sees them .Wretches.

• Thumbs Up 1