• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,413
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Hi, Has anyone used Ancestry.com?

My premise or situation is family is interested in their ancestry. I am not particularly interested, however it seems I am the sole male and the "the missing link" whose DNA can confirm what is supposed by unvarifiable from the DNA of my female cousins who are doing the research.

I am willing to fork out the $99 dollars for their sake and their interest, but before giving information I do wonder has anyone here used it ( Ancestry.com)? Any problems with it? Did you enjoy seeing the results? Has there been any  benefit to you from it?

Thanks.

Edited by Neighbor
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  422
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0

Have you looked at the similar service called 23andme?  No comments on ancestry.com, but I have friends that used 23andme and like how they did things.

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,676
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

I tried their free trial once, found it rather interesting, to say the least. Cant say as ive ever gotten motivated enough to fork out the money, but from what ive seen if for some reason i did decide to id have no reason not to, they seem a very reputable source and do provide the services they offer. So I would say its up to you, its not a scam by any means.

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,413
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Decided to go with 23andme with the additional medical traits indicators.  Saw that I could spend all sorts of time deciding and really a lot of money  for options and monthly fees after free trials etc. The 23and me seemed simpler, should satisfy the family's request of me, plus  after rrcieving some  "interesting medical laboratory repots today I figure  oh well let's go for broke and get the health trend markers too.

Who knows maybe the six toes and six fingers plus the  extra vertebra will lead back through  a unique ancestry trail. LOL! 

• Thumbs Up 2