Debp

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,010
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,206
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  92

Was flicking channels yesterday and saw a program called Appalachian Outlaws.   Apparently the Appalachian region has a wonderful climate and soil for growing the herb Ginseng.  This was news to me.   I only knew of the Appalachian region being extremely poor.

They say Ginseng is now selling for $1000 a pound!  There is a high demand and the demand can't be kept up with.

Apparently the diggers in Appalachia are very protective of their Ginseng as there are Ginseng poachers, some from other States.  And it can be dangerous for the poachers.

Anyone else familiar with this?   I always thought Ginseng only came from Asia.   Also, the program was interesting to me...a little quirky!

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,413
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Hi, American ginseng comes from Appalachia mountain ranges is not all that  "easily" plentiful and yes finds are kept protected.

Appalachia areas are not necessarily populated by poor individuals. I think half of Florida's population is buying up land and cabins all through the mountains of North Carolina, and Georgia Smokeys. Plus residents of many  high tax States in the north east corridor are fleeing the taxes and are buying up West Virginia, Tennessee, and North Carolina, about as fast as we subtroic dwellers are trying to do the same. I look for values every day.

Prices are getting to be out of sight compared to  recent years values. There are some very poor areas way up into New York State, but again there the  income and property taxes kill most anyone's plans of developing there, even with their ads stating they will give a ten year break for new businesses.

Tennessee is being populated by  New York City People plus the newly rich Country Western  music people.

It is recorded that Daniel Boone collected American Ginseng along the Ohio region for trade to China, where it is highly valued. It has been used by native americans as long as there has been record of native Americans. It is poached from national parks and from native American lands.

I am finding the history of the Appalachia regions to be quite interesting, especially the TVA dam system, the production of aluminum for the then coming war ( WW II), and all the preparation  for WWII that took place there for so long a period of time in the 1930's. Not to mention the letting out of waste oil from electrical transformers  all through mountain dirt roads. The oil containing PCBs! -something to watch out for when looking with sparkly eyes at  some popular mountain retreat regions.

The dams built for electricity generation are let down come fall to provide runoff space  for winter storm waters rushing down the mountains. There can be eight foot or more of water let out of the dams, leaving vast areas of  prime waterfront  nothing but mudflats and dry rocky places for ATV's to be racing along, a real surprise to the out of region buyer of that pristine summer water front "cabin".

New housing in the areas will cost the price of the land  and about  a minimum of $160 a square foot for construction of a very basic home. And there is a long wait period as  the builders are busy!

The Hiwassee Dam N.C. is an area I enjoy now! The dam has a 300 foot over the top outflow from Lake Hiwassee down to Lake Appalachia below. It is a massive structure producing electricity and having  three huge turbines, one of which can be reversed, and is at night, to refill the upper lake so that the water can run down the dam again making more electricity. It's pretty fascinating to me, very beautiful terrain and quite varied too in ruggedness, with many types of trees, and with the oh so many creeks, brooks, and small rivers with rapids at so many  places.

The rivers get absolutely packed with rafters and kayakers, with many old school busses transporting the rafts back up the rivers it can get  pretty crowded, but is is colorful and a fun atmosphere!

My present favorite is lake Nantahala N.C. and over at Tennessee Lake Ocoee. If I manage to make a purchase however it will likely be at the Lake Hiwassee perimeter just past Murphy NC. It is a dream anyway! Keeps me going. I haven't been led to a church there yet, so  I don't know maybe it will remain just a dream, a bit of fun to visit anyway.

Edited by Neighbor
  • Brilliant! 1

President Trump's tariff raising trade war is affecting American cultivated ginseng production. See https://asia.nikkei.com/Economy/Trade-War/American-ginseng-squeezed-by-US-China-tariff-war It is quite fascinating to read. Next we will have yet another "tulip  war". No not Calvinists versus Arminianists, but real tulips or opium. Or even ginseng?

And perhaps the tactics of the English  from days of old in the opium war which eventually did lead up to the beginning  of WWII at the Pacific will be repeated. Same ol' same ol' goes round yet again till our Lord is told by his  Father it is time go and get your bride. Best to have oil in the lamp at bedside at all times and guard and cherish  it well. It is far more valuable than opium, tulips or ginseng.

Perhaps ginseng is what keeps our president up and running all the time ?  Just a little laugh, for this morning, President Trump a ginseng freak. 

p.s.

link to the uses and "benefits" of American Ginseng https://www.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/ingredientmono-967/american-ginseng  - ah ha   Wonder if it puts hair on your chest too?

p.p.s. seems the plant is found at Canada too, and maybe over much of the world. See https://www.perfectfuel.com/2012/03/23/americanginseng/ It is a "stimulant". Wonder what wild creatures uproot and eat it too. Seems it is as slow growing as  a tree at a christmas tree farm taking 5 years or more to  be ready  for cultivation that's a long term investment from establishment of a plant till harvest.

Edited by Neighbor

I do enjoy marketing techniques and examples here is one I find fascinating sold out sold out. Oh oh better buy what I can now.

See https://www.americanginseng.com/online-store/   sold out - sold out - sold out,  just these over here remaining. Ha funny stuff! A bucket of root  presented in a gift box. Needs a little Jimmy Dorsey playing in the background with the voice over of "so rare" .

Much like the old old tale of the guy that had white elephants for sale. So he offered one as a rare white elephant and when he couldn't move it he offered a two for one of rare elephants, and the customer then jumped on the "bargain" remaining and ended up with two white elephants.- when he knew he didn't want nor need even one.

Edited by Neighbor
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Cletus said:

its been going on for a while now.  people are getting killed over it.  it takes a long time for it to grow so its a lot of time investment.  I first heard about it at least five years ago maybe as much as 7... not to sure exactly.    its not very well known because it has potential to be big bucks.  I dont remember all the details but China (or wherever) cant keep up with demand. 

On the program Appalachian Outlaws (some shows are on YouTube), it's all about Ginseng.  They follow "diggers" (interesting folks, backwood types) going to their special spots in the woods, collecting it and then going to a couple of "big" guys that buy it from them.  One digger had a big sack of Ginseng and got $5000 for it!  Another digger, a poacher who came up from Georgia, got his tire slit and flattened when two hometown guys found him in their woods.   They said he was lucky they didn't do worse to him!

The poacher from GA had to hike out of the woods, found a junkyard where he wanted to buy an old replacement tire.   He then told the guy he didn't have any money (the guy wasn't too happy)....but then he offered the guy a big handful of Ginseng (worth $150) so the junkyard guy was happy and gave him the tire.

Another digger went and shot up the tires of someone's truck that he knew had poached on his land.  Then a few days later, his own truck was totally set on fire... demolished, apparently in reprisal.  Another digger actually was setting boobytraps in his woods.  Quite a program...like the Hatfields and McCoys!

One guy said the police are so far away it would take forever for them to get to you, so you handle stuff yourself!  Even the two "big" guys that buy it are in competition, trying to get the other one's diggers.

Neighbor, maybe the poorer areas of Appalachia are in Kentucky?   I remember a charity called Christian Appalachian Project and they showed poverty stricken people and areas deep in the woods of Appalachia.  That was a long time ago maybe it changed?

Also, I saw a program about fracking in WV.   The town's people in those areas were all getting quite ill, some with cancer, and they attributed it to the fracking...and the toxic stuff that was released into the water and air.

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,784
  • Content Per Day:  6.23
  • Days Won:  58

21 minutes ago, Debp said:

Also, I saw a program about fracking in WV.   The town's people in those areas were all getting quite ill, some with cancer, and they attributed it to the fracking...and the toxic stuff that was released into the water and air.

Folks in that area have gotten ill for decades from toxic junk in their water/rivers etc from mining long before fracking. All over the us, illnesses related to long term exposure to mining debris (tailings etc) happen. Not wanting to diminish their problems, but its scarcely a new thing. 

I can show you in arizona where there are piles of uranium ore stashed from a mine and almost forgotten, merely 200 yards from a highway. I can show you in phoenix where there were mercury mines. I can show you in arizona where there are asbestos tailings right in the middle of a town.

• Brilliant! 1

17 hours ago, Debp said:

On the program Appalachian Outlaws (some shows are on YouTube), it's all about Ginseng.  They follow "diggers" (interesting folks, backwood types) going to their special spots in the woods, collecting it and then going to a couple of "big" guys that buy it from them.  One digger had a big sack of Ginseng and got $5000 for it!  Another digger, a poacher who came up from Georgia, got his tire slit and flattened when two hometown guys found him in their woods.   They said he was lucky they didn't do worse to him!

The poacher from GA had to hike out of the woods, found a junkyard where he wanted to buy an old replacement tire.   He then told the guy he didn't have any money (the guy wasn't too happy)....but then he offered the guy a big handful of Ginseng (worth $150) so the junkyard guy was happy and gave him the tire.

Another digger went and shot up the tires of someone's truck that he knew had poached on his land.  Then a few days later, his own truck was totally set on fire... demolished, apparently in reprisal.  Another digger actually was setting boobytraps in his woods.  Quite a program...like the Hatfields and McCoys!

One guy said the police are so far away it would take forever for them to get to you, so you handle stuff yourself!  Even the two "big" guys that buy it are in competition, trying to get the other one's diggers.

Neighbor, maybe the poorer areas of Appalachia are in Kentucky?   I remember a charity called Christian Appalachian Project and they showed poverty stricken people and areas deep in the woods of Appalachia.  That was a long time ago maybe it changed?

Wouldn't be much  of a show if everyone was just getting a nice  little royalty from the fracking on their land and buying a new car with it. Got to add some drama.

1 hour ago, Neighbor said:

Wouldn't be much  of a show if everyone was just getting a nice  little royalty from the fracking on their land and buying a new car with it. Got to add some drama.

The program about the fracking in WV was a documentary on PBS.   The people affected with serious illnesses weren't getting royalties as the fracking wasn't on their land.   They were just regular town or somewhat rural people who were affected as the toxic stuff washes down into the rivers, etc.

• Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  344
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,393
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

A buddy of mine back in the 1980's was a ginseng buyer for many years and make a lot of money off buying it. If I remember correctly, depending on the quality, size and shape, you could get as much as $250.00 a pound back then. I know ginseng grows in Illinois in the area I lived, and even in NW Tennessee where I now live. But not as plentiful or the quality of the  Appalachian Mountains I suspect.

I considered looking around for it when I was scouting for deer sign prior to deer season, but never  did. I don't even have any luck crashing through the woods in the spring hunting for morel mushrooms, but the mosquito's and ticks welcome me.

Watching those programs you watched, it take a minimum of "20" years growth before the root is adequate size to dig up, most thirty years to grow and mature enough. I don't know much about ginseng other than the Chinese buy most of it and you can make tea from it. So, if I want a cheap organic cup of tea which I don't drink, I'll step out my door one step and dig a dandelion; fast, easy, no shortage, cheap and at my door step  ? 

I think I've seen every episode of "Appalachian Outlaws" when it was on Discovery, National Geographic or History from a couple / few years ago. Are you watching new episodes or reruns? If it's a new season, please let me know where to find it.

• Brilliant! 1

5 minutes ago, Dennis1209 said:

A buddy of mine back in the 1980's was a ginseng buyer for many years and make a lot of money off buying it. If I remember correctly, depending on the quality, size and shape, you could get as much as $250.00 a pound back then. I know ginseng grows in Illinois in the area I lived, and even in NW Tennessee where I now live. But not as plentiful or the quality of the  Appalachian Mountains I suspect.

I considered looking around for it when I was scouting for deer sign prior to deer season, but never  did. I don't even have any luck crashing through the woods in the spring hunting for morel mushrooms, but the mosquito's and ticks welcome me.

Watching those programs you watched, it take a minimum of "20" years growth before the root is adequate size to dig up, most thirty years to grow and mature enough. I don't know much about ginseng other than the Chinese buy most of it and you can make tea from it. So, if I want a cheap organic cup of tea which I don't drink, I'll step out my door one step and dig a dandelion; fast, easy, no shortage, cheap and at my door step  ? 

I think I've seen every episode of "Appalachian Outlaws" when it was on Discovery, National Geographic or History from a couple / few years ago. Are you watching new episodes or reruns? If it's a new season, please let me know where to find it.

I don't have cable so it must be reruns.  Just saw a couple of shows...might try to find it again next week.   I just enjoyed it because it was informative and the people are very interesting!

On the show someone mentioned it takes 8 years for it to grow to digging up size.  But they look like smaller plants.   They say it's selling for $1000 a pound...for someone needing extra income, a good way to supplement it!