IGNORED

How To Bring Back Christian Sexual Morality In Society?

AspiringChristian

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,028
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  1

James tell us Elijah was a man just like us. He could make it rain. Unless the Lord sends rain convicting hearts of the unsaved and also a people to disciple and love those who would be found, with man it is impossible.

The church must repent, return to the Word of God and ask for a pouring out of His Spirit to prepare our hearts and minds and to convict the world of sin.  

The gospel is the power of God unto salvation, not signs and wonders, not feeding the poor or unity above all things, the gospel is the power of God unto salvation. But unless the Father draws someone there isn't much we can do. 

Judgement is coming for sure, but maybe by the grace of God we will have a rainy season. Without repentance and fervent prayer it would seem the morality of the society will simply go the way of the world because it is the world. It isn't the state of the world that is the problem but the state of the church. Prosperity gospel, signs and wonders gospel, social gospel, unity gospel, new perspective on Paul gospel (which only seeks to unify all the bad gospels), have got to go. 

We don't fight against flesh and blood. It's always been a spiritual battle but we have lost a sense of that understanding. 

But it may be that the window for repentance is closing, judgement on a Laodicea people is imminent. Either way it would be wise to fill your lamps with oil.

Guest PinkBelt
1 hour ago, AspiringChristian said:

Sure, solving the general social problem requires that we also, in the process, solve the problem for Christians. So what is your answer to your own question?

The bible clearly says to remove the plank from your own eye before taking the speck from your brothers. Not after, not at the same time. If one can't even get their own house in order they have no business trying to sort someone else's.

It's called hypocrisy and people can smell it a mile away.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  18
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

3 minutes ago, PinkBelt said:

The bible clearly says to remove the plank from your own eye before taking the speck from your brothers. Not after, not at the same time. If one can't even get their own house in order they have no business trying to sort someone else's.

It's called hypocrisy and people can smell it a mile away.

Okay, but I was asking you what should we, as Christians, do to get our own house in order? We have to start somewhere with solving this problem, let's start with ourselves. How shall we solve it?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,412
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

How do you justify this assertion?

Lists of don'ts are endless, teaching of only death, as the list of rabbinical law exemplifies.  My Lord summaries all the law, and then  in a few words that are positive, gives a new commandment,  love one another. "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.  By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Edited by Neighbor

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  18
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

11 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

Lists of don'ts are endless, teaching of only death, as the list of rabbinical law exemplifies.  My Lord summaries all the law, and then  in a few words that are positive, gives a new commandment,  love one another. "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.  By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

What does "love one another" mean? Because on this hinges the whole commandment. It is useless to repeat it, if we do not properly understand what loving one another consists in.

Is it loving to rebuke another sinner for their sin and try to set them on the right path? Or is it loving to avoid rebuking them so as not to cause emotional discomfort to them? 

What if to "love another" means to help them love God? And loving God necessitates following His commandments. So how is the commandment to "love one another" excluding the law (the don'ts)? It seems to me that the positive is inherently tied to the negative, love is tied to law, and love is tied to duty. 

• Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,412
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

12 minutes ago, AspiringChristian said:

What does "love one another" mean? Because on this hinges the whole commandment. It is useless to repeat it, if we do not properly understand what loving one another consists in.

Is it loving to rebuke another sinner for their sin and try to set them on the right path? Or is it loving to avoid rebuking them so as not to cause emotional discomfort to them? 

What if to "love another" means to help them love God? And loving God necessitates following His commandments. So how is the commandment to "love one another" excluding the law (the don'ts)? It seems to me that the positive is inherently tied to the negative, love is tied to law, and love is tied to duty. 

I suggest that it is easy enough to understand. I suggest it is not well treated by a wrath  a hatred of individuals trapped in a particular sin. That going about stating one's wrath is not going to get anyone's approving attention except that of another that already walks in wrath themselves. This conversation opened with  a statement a conclusion below:

"Personally, a lot of these issues outrage me, and the injustice that I see is hard for me to bear - even just thinking about it hurts. I don't personally find it difficult to stay away from sexual immorality, but then peer pressure has very little effect on me, while on most others I notice the exact opposite. "

I am saying that approach that attitude is not going to generate interest by those in need of Christ Jesus nor show any love of the very individuals saints are to share of the good news.

I do think modeling one's approach to Paul's at the Areopagus is likely to be more profitable

"Paul in Athens

Now while Paul was waiting for them at Athens, his spirit was provoked within him as he saw that the city was full of idols.  So he reasoned in the synagogue with the Jews and the devout persons, and in the marketplace every day with those who happened to be there.  Some of the Epicurean and Stoic philosophers also conversed with him. And some said, “What does this babbler wish to say?” Others said, “He seems to be a preacher of foreign divinities”—because he was preaching Jesus and the resurrection.  And they took him and brought him to the Areopagus, saying, “May we know what this new teaching is that you are presenting?  For you bring some strange things to our ears. We wish to know therefore what these things mean.”  Now all the Athenians and the foreigners who lived there would spend their time in nothing except telling or hearing something new.

Paul Addresses the Areopagus

So Paul, standing in the midst of the Areopagus, said: “Men of Athens, I perceive that in every way you are very religious.  For as I passed along and observed the objects of your worship, I found also an altar with this inscription: ‘To the unknown god.’ What therefore you worship as unknown, this I proclaim to you. The God who made the world and everything in it, being Lord of heaven and earth, does not live in temples made by man, nor is he served by human hands, as though he needed anything, since he himself gives to all mankind life and breath and everything.  And he made from one man every nation of mankind to live on all the face of the earth, having determined allotted periods and the boundaries of their dwelling place,  that they should seek God, and perhaps feel their way toward him and find him. Yet he is actually not far from each one of us, for

“‘In him we live and move and have our being’;

as even some of your own poets have said,

“‘For we are indeed his offspring.’

Being then God's offspring, we ought not to think that the divine being is like gold or silver or stone, an image formed by the art and imagination of man.  The times of ignorance God overlooked, but now he commands all people everywhere to repent, 31 because he has fixed a day on which he will judge the world in righteousness by a man whom he has appointed; and of this he has given assurance to all by raising him from the dead.”

Now when they heard of the resurrection of the dead, some mocked. But others said, “We will hear you again about this.”  So Paul went out from their midst. But some men joined him and believed, among whom also were Dionysius the Areopagite and a woman named Damaris and others with them.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

On 8/12/2018 at 9:25 AM, AspiringChristian said:

So my question is what can we do to bring back sexual morality in society? What can we do to convince others? How should we deal with seeing sexual immorality around ourselves? How can we go about building Christian communities in the midsts of immorality?

Hi AC, You're a very unique young man. I was also like you when I was young and I've wrestled with this question my whole life. If you manage to get married and have kids be sure you teach your children that morals are cool. Everything you said is true. Other than teaching your children morality all I figured I could do is to live a moral life and occasionally I get to someone well enough to tell them. Unfortunately this doesn't make me popular but I see that the immoral people aren't happy neither. As you get older you have to stay brave enough to let younger people know you believe morality is the answer to society's problems. Too many people have become callous to this and that includes believers. We need more people like you. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,010
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,205
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  92

3 hours ago, JTC said:

Hi AC, You're a very unique young man. I was also like you when I was young and I've wrestled with this question my whole life. If you manage to get married and have kids be sure you teach your children that morals are cool. Everything you said is true. Other than teaching your children morality all I figured I could do is to live a moral life and occasionally I get to someone well enough to tell them. Unfortunately this doesn't make me popular but I see that the immoral people aren't happy neither. As you get older you have to stay brave enough to let younger people know you believe morality is the answer to society's problems. Too many people have become callous to this and that includes believers. We need more people like you. 

I also commend you, AC, for caring about this!

Keep letting your light shine....people observe you and you never know how that will help someone.  Sometimes we use words and other times our lives can be a witness.

Guest PinkBelt
7 hours ago, AspiringChristian said:

Okay, but I was asking you what should we, as Christians, do to get our own house in order? We have to start somewhere with solving this problem, let's start with ourselves. How shall we solve it?

The answer to that is beyond my intelligence to solve.

Edited by PinkBelt

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  223
  • Content Per Day:  0.11

On 8/12/2018 at 6:25 AM, AspiringChristian said:

Hi everyone,

I have recently joined this forum, and this is a question that has been with me through my entire life. I am a young Christian surrounded by mostly secular people. A lot of the social ills today are caused by lack of sexual morality, and the fact that this lack of morality is justified as cool, chic, and fashionable. We see 50%+ divorce rates, failing marriages, harmed children, broken families... Seeing other men looking after scantily dressed women, lusting after them, people who date multiple people at once, people who cheat on their wives, I find all these issues disgusting. Personally, a lot of these issues outrage me, and the injustice that I see is hard for me to bear - even just thinking about it hurts. I don't personally find it difficult to stay away from sexual immorality, but then peer pressure has very little effect on me, while on most others I notice the exact opposite. 

I am trying to build a community of Christians locally, but it is very difficult in the midsts of a largely secular society. I came to understand the wrongness of sexual immorality a few years before becoming a Christian. I cannot see why anyone would give up the beauty and stability of a monogamous marriage for sexual promiscuity. Even in terms of sexual pleasure alone, nothing can rival the passion, emotional and spiritual intimacy that can exist in a monogamous marriage. To give up a monogamous marriage for promiscuity seems to me to be the height of folly - it is much like giving up $1,000,000 to get $1,000. And I'm saying this as a man, and yet most people around seem to think that men are naturally promiscuous (something with which I very much disagree).

I have found that the "unpopular" views of Christianity on sexual morality - and I include here abortion, homosexuality, promiscuity, adultery, fornication - are very frequently THE stumbling block when it comes to secular people seriously considering Christianity. So to re-Christianise the West, we have to change views on sexual morality. My question is, what is the best way to approach this? How can we go about convincing others who disagree with us? How are we to act in the face of injustice - say if we hear that a friend is cheating on their wife?

I think one big weapon that secular society uses to enforce sexual promiscuity is peer pressure. By using peer pressure, and having society approve of things such as homosexuality and promiscuity, they make them popular. I notice that many young guys are promiscuous NOT because they enjoy it, but because it is popular, because it can make them look good in the eyes of other people. Other guys would admire them, and want to imitate them. So more than a sexual sin, it is a sin similar to idolatry - putting what other men think of you above what God thinks of you. To counteract this, we need to make sexual morality cool again - not something for prudes, but something for real men and women.

Another big weapon of the enemy is the intolerance that exists when we try to condemn sexual immorality. If we try to condemn homosexuality, we get a massive reaction from the rest of society. However, if they try to condemn Christian sexual morality, then this is very easy to do. If we try to condemn adultery, suddenly we are judgemental, obsessed about the private behaviour of others and bad. But of course, sexual crimes like adultery do not impact just the adulterer. It also harms other people. I see no reason why we should accept an unrepentant adulterer in our midsts. On the contrary, as a society, we should isolate such a person. But when the adulterer excuses their behaviour in the eyes of society, that is acceptable. 

Also, the other big thing to notice is that the biggest sins that come through sexual immorality aren't sexual sins at all. For example, as I mentioned before, many promiscuous people do it not because they enjoy it, but rather because they enjoy the status that others give them for it. So it's really their pride driving them to do it, not their desire for pleasure.

So my question is what can we do to bring back sexual morality in society? What can we do to convince others? How should we deal with seeing sexual immorality around ourselves? How can we go about building Christian communities in the midsts of immorality?

You would have to start at the ground up somehow in home and church  .. My first recommendation is to show the truth of abortion, babies being torn to pieces alive limb by limb and thrown in the trash among other bad consequences . It's still gonna happen but Jesus is always the answer .. You'd have to teach the kids that sex in not the ultimate goal, and the boys that holding girls hands can be as exciting when you can see them as the beautiful creatures they are instead of thinking sex 24/7 as the only goal , it's OK not to live for sex, stay busy living life .. The filthy music culture needs to be seen as an enemy to our national morality and shunned instead of anything goes .. Dating in groups can be a blast with little pressure, just going and having fun, no pressure .. Sex before marriage is sin and leads to a more destructive unprepared life .. A few minutes of sexual pleasure is not worth a lifetime of regret and each stage of your life is a new adventure on it's own , enjoy it and don't get stuck in any phase but keep growing , there will be a time and place for everything if you put God first and stay prepared ..

Edited by brujaq