Jump to content
Fidei Defensor

Christian Imperialism and State Churches

Recommended Posts

Christian Imperialism has taken many forms, from Byzantium to the Papacy to Kremlin to The Puritans to The Preterists to Network Christianity. In all its forms Christian Imperialism and Stage Churches have tried to balance theology with democracy, the Kingdom of Heaven with the temporal Kingdom. 

How has Christian Imperialism or State churches failed and how have they succeeded? Is the State Church a pollution of Christianity or Was is a necessary means during turbulent periods of history? 

Make you cases, debate in spirit of love (John 13:34-35), and share your own view on this very controversial blend of Faith and Politics; Piety and Power. 

You may discuss Christian Colonialism as well since it is connected to state churches and is a form of Imperialism. 

Edited by Fidei Defensor
  • Brilliant! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe the State Churches are embracing a rejection of the Pre Millennial view presented in Scripture where Christ sets up the Millennium AFTER His second coming. Instead they are attempting to set up the Millennial Kingdom now in order to usher in Christ. Their view of the Millennium just happens to coincide with the Articles in their Church. Geneva was a good ex.

  • Brilliant! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Yowm said:

I believe the State Churches are embracing a rejection of the Pre Millennial view presented in Scripture where Christ sets up the Millennium AFTER His second coming. Instead they are attempting to set up the Millennial Kingdom now in order to usher in Christ. Their view of the Millennium just happens to coincide with the Articles in their Church. Geneva was a good ex.

Yeah.    and wait till we see what the unified faiths and religions in the world church are gonna usher in ,   WONT BE CHRIST , it will anti Christ who will lead them in

what they THINK IS the KINGDOM NOW mentality .    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Yowm said:

I believe the State Churches are embracing a rejection of the Pre Millennial view presented in Scripture where Christ sets up the Millennium AFTER His second coming. Instead they are attempting to set up the Millennial Kingdom now in order to usher in Christ. Their view of the Millennium just happens to coincide with the Articles in their Church. Geneva was a good ex.

Do you think State Churches are Preterist or Amillenial?: “Amillennialism, in Christian eschatology, involves the rejection of the belief that Jesus will have a literal, thousand-year-long, physical reign on the earth. This rejection contrasts with premillennial and some postmillennial interpretations of chapter 20 of the Book of Revelation.” (I share this for others benefit, those who are reading this): 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fidei Defensor said:

Do you think State Churches are Preterist or Amillenial?: “Amillennialism, in Christian eschatology, involves the rejection of the belief that Jesus will have a literal, thousand-year-long, physical reign on the earth. This rejection contrasts with premillennial and some postmillennial interpretations of chapter 20 of the Book of Revelation.” (I share this for others benefit, those who are reading this): 

I believe historically as a body they started off as amill but of late some have latched on to preterism, esp. partial preterism. I just don't have hard stats so I may be speaking from the bleachers lol.

  • Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Yowm said:

I believe historically as a body they started off as amill but of late some have latched on to preterism, esp. partial preterism. I just don't have hard stats so I may be speaking from the bleachers lol.

How do state churches, Amillenials,  and partial-preterists come to believe Jesus already came back and ruled a thousand years? I know Amillenials tend to lean towards the thousand years are in heaven at the right hand of the Father, but Revelation 20:4-9, Revelation 19:11-6, and Matthew 24:30-51, Acts 1:1–11, 1 Thessalonians 4:16-17, all are clear Jesus must physically show up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Fidei Defensor said:

How do state churches, Amillenials,  and partial-preterists come to believe Jesus already came back and ruled a thousand years? I know Amillenials tend to lean towards the thousand years are in heaven at the right hand of the Father, but Revelation 20:4-9, Revelation 19:11-6, and Matthew 24:30-51, Acts 1:1–11, 1 Thessalonians 4:16-17, all are clear Jesus must physically show up. 

Not all Amills believe all prophecies have happened. For the most part, the cross began the Millennium (we are in it, satan is bound etc. etc.). When one spiritualizes the text anything goes. But there are different forms of Amills. Basically they reject a literal 1000 years as described in Rev. 20.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Yowm said:

Not all Amills believe all prophecies have happened. For the most part, the cross began the Millennium (we are in it, satan is bound etc. etc.). When one spiritualizes the text anything goes. But there are different forms of Amills. Basically they reject a literal 1000 years as described in Rev. 20.

I understood the Amillenial view was founded by St. Augustine of Hippo. Catholics do tend to either tend to make things all symbolic (spiritualize) or all litera as in Transubstantiation. 

  • Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good topic..

---

Concept of "state church" started in 380 AD. 

-  (Correct me if I am wrong.)

Emperor Theodosius I made Christianity the empire's sole 

authorized religion.

- Constantine should get recognition. He did contribute in some way ..early on.

---

It seems that important issue concerning state church is "attraction to political power."

 After Christianity get hold of political power, it loses

simple devotion / commitment to Christ. Spiritual dimension is not on priority.

- Christian history shows that .

- It becomes part of political power system.

History of Catholicism is classic example.

- Often accused of Christian imperialism.

Protestantism  did some of that, too.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Brilliant! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our founders were aware of the dangers of the state and church marriage. It goes without saying that when Jesus does it, it will be done to perfection. Whether the protestants or the catholics held power, the results were the same; namely persecution of the nonconformists. It is ironic that the Puritans, who themselves fled before persecution, set up the same system and became persecutors. The argument in favor of establishing a state church is to prevent cults. For some reason, it never does that. Enforcing church doctrine by the sword of government leads inevitably to tyranny. When you missed church in Massachusetts during the 1600's it wasn't the minister that visited your door, it was the sheriff. To conclude that the U.S. Constitution was somehow anti religion is to ignore our own history. Ben Franklin praised Christianity as the only means to morality and encouraged it. The hue and cry of the ungodly is, "Separation of church and state". Nope. Religion was to flourish without interference from the state.  Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.  

Edited by JoeChan82
Spelling
  • Thumbs Up 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×