Debp

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,015
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,277
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  92

Although we can "retreat" in everyday life, just wondering if you know of any special places (retreats) for people to go for quietness with the Lord?

Although I am not Catholic, I think they have many retreat places for people to just get away and have solitude with God.   I believe anyone can go there, not just Catholics.   Seems like a good idea to me.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Yowm said:

The restroom is a pretty good place as it provides an excuse for privacy...temporarily.

☺️?☺️? Actually I was serious...I don't think non-Catholics have retreats where individuals can go to for a weekend or whatnot, just some real solitude with the Lord.

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,532
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

8 hours ago, Debp said:

☺️?☺️? Actually I was serious...I don't think non-Catholics have retreats where individuals can go to for a weekend or whatnot, just some real solitude with the Lord.

Our local body of Christ encourages retreat, strongly urging it as being vital to good personal care! It organizes retreats for women, and retreats for men, of the church body. It arranges and has it's elders go on retreat too. As to an example of a place of retreat there is locally  the retreat at Hudson Florida. See https://florida.wol.org

The Cove at Ashville N.C is a retreat! I will be going there this Christmas season. The rooms have no tv, no distractions, there are libraries available and all kinds of sessions that aid in concentration on God and His will for our lives. I hope God willing to  also attend the Fernando Ortega concert there.

Without recommendation, since I do not know the person,  I share of this site regarding 81 retreats near Los Angeles https://ronmilam.com/2012/02/28/36-places-to-retreat-in-socal/

May God guide and make available  a good one to you if you find you desire to go to a place of retreat.

Edited by Neighbor

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.35
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

16 hours ago, Debp said:

Although we can "retreat" in everyday life, just wondering if you know of any special places (retreats) for people to go for quietness with the Lord?

Although I am not Catholic, I think they have many retreat places for people to just get away and have solitude with God.   I believe anyone can go there, not just Catholics.   Seems like a good idea to me.

Very bad idea .    very bad .    We don't need to go anywhere near a catholic retreat center .   don't get mixed up with their contemplative or mystic retreats .

Anyone who wants a retreat , heres one ,  retreat from any thing Rome offers , retreat and flee many such things .

We can have our own personal time with the LORD , just fine without any of that catholic mess .     Everyone don't go anywhere near catholic retreats .  very bad idea .

• Thanks 1

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,246
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

16 hours ago, Debp said:

Check with a local Baptist church, Debp. Like our church, they could have a shared retreat available. Our church has a place in the hill country near rivers that has facilities for camping, walking paths, or for ladies/men's retreat. All taken care of by several sister churches. Other church denominations may also have them.

14 hours ago, Yowm said:

The restroom is a pretty good place as it provides an excuse for privacy...temporarily.

Actually, I brought this up in our men's bible study. Though the fellas at first had a good laugh, later they realized they also could relate. As I work at home out side in my shop, I frequently go to the facilities in my home, a one minute walk. While walking, and then while 'sitting', I'm most often reviewing what I may have accomplished (or not) in cabinet making business, and many other decisions made through the day, phone calls, grand kids needing a flat tire fixed, wife honey do's, robophone calls, etc. I start thinking/remembering (reflect) my recent actions, conversations, attitudes, patience or lack, willingness or not to be a blessing to others, yet still accomplish some cabinet production. I have never had a problem as a believer, to be totally honest with God, knowing it will go better for me. That room, is where I "pause" in my busy thinking, and I find my self discussing/confessing my thoughts with God, through out the day. I also at first considered the room was not the best place to show reverence to my creator, then remembered the word;

1 Thessalonians 5:16   Rejoice evermore Pray without ceasing. In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.

Pray without ceasing. Whenever. Wherever!

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.21
  • Days Won:  58

There are a few places here in arizona that have year round retreats. One in the phoenix area is run by lutheran women of a group based in germany. Another is greek orthodox and rather nice to tour (they sustain themselves by hiring out as landscape architects so the grounds are quite spectacular). 

• Brilliant! 1

6 hours ago, Yowm said:

I was serious too as I couldn't afford a retreat.

I can't afford a retreat either and I am caring for my homebound mother so I can't get away anyhow.  Also, now I am having severe trouble walking so can barely get to a grocery store.

3 hours ago, frienduff thaylorde said:

Very bad idea .    very bad .    We don't need to go anywhere near a catholic retreat center .   don't get mixed up with their contemplative or mystic retreats .

Anyone who wants a retreat , heres one ,  retreat from any thing Rome offers , retreat and flee many such things .

We can have our own personal time with the LORD , just fine without any of that catholic mess .     Everyone don't go anywhere near catholic retreats .  very bad idea .

I didn't mean I was going to a Catholic retreat.  I just thought it is a good idea.  Solitude with the Lord is beneficial....so many are always with people and busy, even in church retreats.

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.35
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

9 minutes ago, Debp said:

I can't afford a retreat either and I am caring for my homebound mother so I can't get away anyhow.  Also, now I am having severe trouble walking so can barely get to a grocery store.

I didn't mean I was going to a Catholic retreat.  I just thought it is a good idea.  Solitude with the Lord is beneficial....so many are always with people and busy, even in church retreats.

Not with any of those churches or anyone that affiliates with them or emergent .  I don't know if you notice this or not ,   but their is a lot of new age , which aint so new age ,

in many retreat centers .    Why on earth do we need labrinths , circles to walk along , mystic prayers and the likes .  

Simple prayer with GOD alone and with others is all we need .   Even paul was minded to go afoot at times when others went on a ship.  We can commune with GOD just fine

without all that messed up mysticism and odd prayer types they snuck into churches a while back .  

They snuck that centering praying contemplative in about everywhere .    And chants , and whatever as though GOD needs to hear us chant or we need to get a word

or object in our head in order for God to hear us .  JESUS warned out against such prayer and yet its all over modern meditation .    They done opened a door way for all sorts

of wicked spirits to enter in .  But cause it FEEELS GOOD we got an generation who are ran on feelings and NOT guided by biblical truth .

We don't need the desert fathers type prayer or any of it,  its nothing but STRANGE FIRE .    and I hope we remember what happened to the sons of arraon when they

burned , brought strange fire into the place .   Let us not even bring up the mention of the word catholics when we speak of retreat centers .  

Just speak of simple retreat and biblical mediation unto the LORD .    I loves ya , so don't take this as an attack .   Its just folks need to get back in them bibles

and fast .

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, frienduff thaylorde said:

Not with any of those churches or anyone that affiliates with them or emergent .  I don't know if you notice this or not ,   but their is a lot of new age , which aint so new age ,

in many retreat centers .    Why on earth do we need labrinths , circles to walk along , mystic prayers and the likes .  

Simple prayer with GOD alone and with others is all we need .   Even paul was minded to go afoot at times when others went on a ship.  We can commune with GOD just fine

without all that messed up mysticism and odd prayer types they snuck into churches a while back .  

They snuck that centering praying contemplative in about everywhere .    And chants , and whatever as though GOD needs to hear us chant or we need to get a word

or object in our head in order for God to hear us .  JESUS warned out against such prayer and yet its all over modern meditation .    They done opened a door way for all sorts

of wicked spirits to enter in .  But cause it FEEELS GOOD we got an generation who are ran on feelings and NOT guided by biblical truth .

We don't need the desert fathers type prayer or any of it,  its nothing but STRANGE FIRE .    and I hope we remember what happened to the sons of arraon when they

burned , brought strange fire into the place .   Let us not even bring up the mention of the word catholics when we speak of retreat centers .  

Just speak of simple retreat and biblical mediation unto the LORD .    I loves ya , so don't take this as an attack .   Its just folks need to get back in them bibles

and fast .

I'm not talking about new age practices.   I just mean Christians would benefit sometimes by just having simple solitude and Biblical meditation  with the Lord in a beautiful place.  So many Christian retreats are just too much busyness and activities....

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

19 hours ago, Debp said:

I agree Deb, I couldn't afford a retreat but I'd like to go to one also.

• Loved it! 1