• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,017
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,293
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  92

23 minutes ago, GandalfTheWise said:

That's me too.  I like quiet places outdoors.   I simply cannot handle crowds or hustle and bustle.

Our new house has a small covered front entryway on a quiet street with most of the view being trees, we have hummingbirds, woodpeckers, many other birds and plenty of squirrels and rabbits.  The first thing we bought was a couple of comfy chairs for out there.  I finally have a room for an office with windows on two sides that is mostly a view of greenery (the houses are not too distracting).  :)  It's going to be a great place to do writing and thinking.

I ran across a book a number of years ago that gave some interesting insights about difference preferences Christians have called Sacred Pathways by Gary Thomas.  (As an aside, I've noted a few people who didn't read the book or know anything about the author *inaccurately* alleged he was teaching other ways to God than through Jesus and *incorrectly* alleged it was about adopting new ages practices.)   He had some interesting insights about 9 characteristics that describe differences among Christians in what they prefer in worship or serving God.  One of those characteristics was that some people more easily find themselves in God's presence when they are away from the manmade world and out in nature.  However, some Christians do not find nature peaceful but annoying with insects and distracting with everything that is rustling and moving around them.  Another is that some people are more comfortable with traditional things such as old hymns and prefer the familiar.  Some Christians find meaning in communication through arts such as music, paintings, and poetry.  Some Christians find it easier to serve God with a very simple life.  Some Christians find deep meaning in sacraments such as baptism and communion (wherein communion Sunday is a very special time of remembrance and prayer for them) and holidays such as Good Friday and Easter whereas for others it is just a variation from the routine.   I ran across this book a long time ago and it did open my eyes about being much less judgmental about Christians that had different preferences for things than I did.

Your home sounds like a wonderful retreat!   I am in a 74 unit apartment building on a little street just one half block South of the main boulevard, Wilshire Blvd.  We are known as a business district... commonly called Koreatown.   My street is handy in that once I regain walking better, I can walk to a few eating places like Subway Sandwich, the bank and the subway station.

But all my life here in L.A., I have always looked and appreciated all of the flowers and trees, etc, as I pass by them here in the city.   Haven't been to our zoo for many years...when mom was well, we always went.  It's like a retreat....I always came home refreshed... it's a botanical garden as well as a zoo.

And, yes, isn't it true about the differences in Christians?  Of course, we all should believe in the essential doctrines, but we have different personalities so prefer different types of worship services, etc.   I prefer quieter, more reverent services.    One time I went to a church where the music was so loud I felt like someone hit me in the head with a hammer for two days! 

Edited by Debp
  • Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  15

3 hours ago, ayin jade said:

Just a question to those who get riled up at the idea of anyone making money on a retreat center. Do you get upset at the publishers of bibles too? After all they are just trying to make money when they publish the books. 

The ‘riling’ as you call it isn’t over paying for a retreat (that is expected), but that the pay funds the Roman Catholic Church. It’s not being charged for a retreat, it is what is being funded. 

• Topic Count:  165
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  15

3 hours ago, ayin jade said:

If you noticed in my post, I said for me personally. I never laid it on anyone else as a guilt trip or mandate that they cant do it. 

In a later post you said

Each must decide which is right in their own conviction (Roman 14:23)

That applies here too. So please dont try to convince me to do something that I know for me is not right.

My aim is not to convince you against your convictions. I was merely doing as good rabbinical teaching does, ask a question to open discourse and new thoughts; of course you have the right to disagree and hold to your view, I respect that right. However, in turn you should respect my right to make a case for my view which is opposite of yours. 

You have said please, so I shall not directly implicate you again in my discourse on this matter. 

Blessings, 

Fidei 

• Followers:  15
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,371
  • Content Per Day:  1.36
  • Days Won:  5

On 8/12/2018 at 8:58 PM, Debp said:

Although we can "retreat" in everyday life, just wondering if you know of any special places (retreats) for people to go for quietness with the Lord?

Although I am not Catholic, I think they have many retreat places for people to just get away and have solitude with God.   I believe anyone can go there, not just Catholics.   Seems like a good idea to me.

Dear precious sister........many cults have retreats.......and anyone who attends a Catholic retreat can expect to be infected with their spirits, unfortunately.  The only retreats mentioned in the bible were when Jesus withdrew alone to pray.  And the Lord telling His people to Go enter their rooms, and shut the door until the indignation passes by.  What is the indignation/wrath/judgment that He is sending now......it is the strong delusion....which is tied into mystery Babylon and her seducing alluring spell.  The Lord is warning of an increase in demonic activity lately......beware.  We need to cleave to the Lord and the SIMPLICITY of Christ alone....we need no special embellishments, no special places, no special activities, no special churches.  SIMPLY let your yes be yes and your nay be nay......."Anything more than this" IS FROM THE EVIL ONE.  Just go be alone with the Lord and pray.  If any really need some solitude for a few days to pray, they can simply go rent a hotel room or cabin somewhere and of course bring their bibles to read as well.  Ask the Lord and He will provide for it, if it is really needful.

• Praise God! 1

On 8/13/2018 at 1:09 PM, frienduff thaylorde said:

Very bad idea .    very bad .    We don't need to go anywhere near a catholic retreat center .   don't get mixed up with their contemplative or mystic retreats .

Anyone who wants a retreat , heres one ,  retreat from any thing Rome offers , retreat and flee many such things .

We can have our own personal time with the LORD , just fine without any of that catholic mess .     Everyone don't go anywhere near catholic retreats .  very bad idea .

Bringing this back up again, because it absolutely is hitting the mark and very worth repeating  There are ways that seemeth so right to the natural mind of man....but leads to death.  Seems so reasonable, such a nice idea.......but leads to death.  If we are feeling embattled and lacking peace, either it's because something is coming between us and Jesus or it's due to an increase of spiritual warfare against His saints....just remember we are not here to feel good but as ambassadors and soldiers of Christ and HIS kingdom.

The Roman Catholic church has a clearly stated agenda.....to pull the protestant evangelicals back into her deathly embrace.......into her captivity.  BEWARE.  We are not wrestling with flesh and blood with these things but with powers and principalities in high places....demonic activity....and this is increasing to ensnare hearts and minds of the people of God.  We need to cleave to Christ alone in these days like never before.

• This is Worthy 1

On 8/13/2018 at 4:25 PM, Debp said:

I can't afford a retreat either and I am caring for my homebound mother so I can't get away anyhow.  Also, now I am having severe trouble walking so can barely get to a grocery store.

It sounds like what you really need is a break from caregiving now and then....and some practical help.  Present your requests to God, dear sister.  Maybe there is a grocery store that would deliver your groceries.  And/or could you find a used walker somewhere to help you get around...some of them have a little seat attached so you can have a sit-down when you get tired.  If I lived nearby I would be glad to help, I'm not working right now and have the time....but I live in Canada.  I will be praying for you.

On 8/14/2018 at 9:22 AM, frienduff thaylorde said:

Ponder this .   IF these places are true places with the soul intent of true worship to GOD .     THEN they should be places where all can go .

but no , these places shame the poor who have not .  this is all wrong .   And again check out who these places are connected too.

I just cant imagine JESUS setting a price tag and telling his own desicples lets worship here and the door is shut to the poor .  THIS IS ALL WRONG .   something is all wrong .

Jas 2:5

Hearken, my beloved brethren, Hath not God chosen the poor of this world rich in faith, and heirs of the kingdom which he hath promised to them that love him?

• Praise God! 1

On 8/14/2018 at 12:32 PM, Fidei Defensor said:

Our ancestors Adam and Eve had no problem until they partook of Fruit of the knowledge of Good and Evil and decided nakedness was evil (Genesis 3:7). 

Besides dos not David dance almost naked before the Lord as he brought the Ark into Jerusalem?, “And David danced before the LORD with all his might; and David was girded with a linen ephod, while he and all Israel were bringing up the ark of the LORD with shouts and the sound of trumpets. As the ark of the LORD was entering the City of David, Michal daughter of Saul watched from a window. And when she saw King David leaping and dancing before the LORD, she despised him in her heart.” (2 Samuel 6:14-16). 

If David could dance in his underwear in public before the Lord, how is being on the toilet disrespectful? Did not God makes man and woman in His image (Genesis 1:27) and say it was very good? (Genesis 1:21). He even asked them, “"Who told you that you were naked?" the LORD God asked. "Have you eaten from the tree whose fruit I commanded you not to eat?" (Genesis 3:11). 

How can it disrespect God to be in private on the toilet talking to Him? He made all that we are (John 1:3, Colossians 1:16-20). 

Granted we have norms for decency in public (clothes), but the bathroom is private and you have to be there anyway. Why not take time that we must spend 1/3 of our life doing and talk to the Lord? 

Ephod is not underwear...  https://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?Strongs=H646&t=KJV  .....David was dancing in a priestly garment.  

Well, that said, I think it's natural for our thoughts as believers to turn to God whenever or wherever we have a moment of quiet and solitude....just that if using the toilet is the ONLY place a person has a place and time to commune with the Lord, then something must be wrong.  I'm sure those who are talking about this, don't mean to imply that it's the ONLY time they pray or think upon the Lord.

• Topic Count:  951
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,561
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

On 8/14/2018 at 3:51 PM, Debp said:

I am in a 74 unit apartment building on a little street just one half block South of the main boulevard, Wilshire Blvd.  We are known as a business district... commonly called Koreatown. 

Hi, Well for a hour or two of very close by "retreat" may I suggest going to 6060 Wilshire Blvd.? Go with an appetite. Go  for a late midweek lunch. It is quiet, elegant, not outrageously expensive, and right on the busy street near where you live, and part of the Petersen Museum where if you have the time you can spend many quiet hours on a weekday. Pick a tour that includes half the basement too,  where cars are being worked on and much political world history is revealed in cars .

http://dragoristorante.com/location/

Last time I was at LA I drove to the museum  from Yorba Linda via side streets instead of Freeway and went through Korea Town. I would have been fearful of of danger  and nearly was until I realized hey people selling the humblest of used clothing on the curb and food goods in home packaged Ball Canning Jars aren't likely out there to harm me.  I found myself praying for their prosperity and wellbeing. Next thing I knew I was intrigued by the street scenes.

PS If you can stand the time the museum  is really a wondrous quite place of retreat and fine memories of times gone by.

I have forgotten  the address of a once favorite Korean BBQ there. My family usually drives me there, as they are Korean and know all the good food serving places.

Edited by Neighbor
  • Loved it! 1

• Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,017
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,293
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  92

5 hours ago, Heleadethme said:

It sounds like what you really need is a break from caregiving now and then....and some practical help.  Present your requests to God, dear sister.  Maybe there is a grocery store that would deliver your groceries.  And/or could you find a used walker somewhere to help you get around...some of them have a little seat attached so you can have a sit-down when you get tired.  If I lived nearby I would be glad to help, I'm not working right now and have the time....but I live in Canada.  I will be praying for you.

I have a Praise report in that section.  Thank the Lord, my legs have gotten stronger the past three days.   And last evening I was able to walk again slowly to the deli down the street.  Next I am hoping to walk to the nearby Target for a few groceries.   I am now using a cane for walking outside for stability.

Just for your info, ever since my mother and I were trapped in our apartment in a major fire Nov 25 last year (on YouTube, MacArthur Park Fire Dozens Homeless), we have had a constant stream of things happening including one thing that involved six days of physical labor!   (We do not have roaches but the apartment building management was fumigating the entire building so we had to drag everything out of the closets, etc.   Mom is 88, I am 67.).   Another major thing was mom's hospitalization June 1 and 2.... thank God she is ok!.    My legs started being badly affected when the hospital bills  started to come in maybe five weeks ago.  Other things happened as well....I am not complaining, I am just giving you an idea of what caused my weak legs.

6 hours ago, Heleadethme said:

Dear precious sister........many cults have retreats.......and anyone who attends a Catholic retreat can expect to be infected with their spirits, unfortunately.  The only retreats mentioned in the bible were when Jesus withdrew alone to pray.  And the Lord telling His people to Go enter their rooms, and shut the door until the indignation passes by.  What is the indignation/wrath/judgment that He is sending now......it is the strong delusion....which is tied into mystery Babylon and her seducing alluring spell.  The Lord is warning of an increase in demonic activity lately......beware.  We need to cleave to the Lord and the SIMPLICITY of Christ alone....we need no special embellishments, no special places, no special activities, no special churches.  SIMPLY let your yes be yes and your nay be nay......."Anything more than this" IS FROM THE EVIL ONE.  Just go be alone with the Lord and pray.  If any really need some solitude for a few days to pray, they can simply go rent a hotel room or cabin somewhere and of course bring their bibles to read as well.  Ask the Lord and He will provide for it, if it is really needful.

I know about cults and their retreats.   I minored in Missions and one of my courses was on cults.

I simply started this topic because I think it would be nice for Christians to have a quiet retreat in nature....just simplicity.   No busyness or too many activities...just quietness to be in God's presence more.  I might be mistaken but I think many Christian retreats are just about seminars and activities.

I did say in my OP that we can retreat with the Lord in everyday life.    Just thought this would be an interesting topic....

• Thumbs Up 2