turtletwo

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  1,192
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  7,264
  • Content Per Day:  1.19
  • Days Won:  194

Scripture Memorization is a vital part of the Christian life.

"Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee. Psalm 119:11

I thought maybe we could share ideas of methods we use that are helpful in this... For me, my mind is not as sharp as it once was due to medical reasons. ( Yep, getting older too. :laugh: )

I think scripture songs can be an effective tool. Sometimes having scriptures set to music is a good tool because the tunes are catchy and repetitive. Has anyone tried this as a way to memorize? If so, any in particular you might suggest?

:) All other idea welcome too.

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Seventh Day Adventist
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  369
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Days Won:  0

53 minutes ago, turtletwo said:

"Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee. Psalm 119:11

I thought maybe we could share ideas of methods we use that are helpful in this... For me, my mind is not as sharp as it once was due to medical reasons. ( Yep, getting older too. :laugh: )

I think scripture songs can be an effective tool. Sometimes having scriptures set to music is a good tool because the tunes are catchy and repetitive. Has anyone tried this as a way to memorize? If so, any in particular you might suggest?

I also like understanding the simple cadences (3's, 4's, 7's), and simple single syllable language, for instance:

On 8/12/2018 at 10:10 AM, ShinyGospelShoes said:

John 16:29  His disciples said unto him, Lo, now speakest thou plainly, and speakest no proverb.

The beautiful simplicity of His word and the light of His Character:

[A.] 3 sets of 4, single syllables:

His … di … sci … ples

said … un … to … him

Lo … now … speak … est

[B.] 3 sets of 3, single syllables:

thou … plain … ly

and … speak … est

no … pro ...verb.

Again:

Genesis 1:1  In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

In the be-gin-ning God cre-at-ed the heav-en and the earth.

Sets of 3's in single syllables:

[1]      [2]      [3]

In        the      be

gin       ning    God

cre       at       ed

the      heav    en

and     the      earth.

Edited by ShinyGospelShoes
grammar
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  43
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  650
  • Content Per Day:  0.28

2 hours ago, turtletwo said:

Totally agree. Memorizing Scriptures is one of the best activities we can do as Christians.

"But the seed on good soil stands for those with a noble and good heart, who hear the word, retain it, and by persevering produce a crop."

My first suggestion is starting through memorizing what is the center of our salvation, what all the prophets were looking for: the Gospel, the direct Words of Jesus Himself.

I've noticing that memorizing Matthew is pretty easy.

The language and the structure is very logical.

A good tip is to "imagine" the scenes that the Gospel describe. By imagining what's happening, it's easier for our brain and heart to retain.

Another suggestion is to start from the most meaningful parts.

So for instance, the "genealogy of Jesus" or some very descriptive part can come later, while the verses in which Jesus speak should come first.

Another tip is asking yourself questions about the teachings, even have the courage to leave the questions open when you can't answer right away. That way you make room in your heart to learn more.

Last but not least, pray the Spirit to help you.

"But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you."

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Yowm said:

For me, doing topical studies helped. Maybe that is because the verses I'd look up were many on the same topic.

:) Thanks. that makes sense. Do you have a certain Topical Bible that you would recommend? Is it available online? 

Edited by turtletwo
added to it

Also, don't 'chew' too much scripture at one time to try and memorize.  Take bite size texts to begin with, and even break up the texts themselves into smaller bits, say 3-4 words at a time.

Repetition.  Concentration (turn off, put away other factors, tv, radio, computer, cell phone, even music (can sometimes be distracting, unless it is a scripture song), etc.).  One thing at a time.

Setting aside a consistent time, say 15 minutes to 1 hour, depending, daily.

Location.  Set aside the scripture to be memorized with you on a 3 by 5 card, and put in pocket and pull it out throughout the day, and do not merely try to memorize it, but dwell upon what it says, thinking on how it connects with what you already know.  When you have a free moment in the day, quickly pull it out and check the memory.  On the other side of the card, you can write out the first letter of each word with punctuation.

Write out the text on the 3 by 5 card, or paper, or several times through the day.

spelling, formatting
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, listener24 said:

Totally agree. Memorizing Scriptures is one of the best activities we can do as Christians.

"But the seed on good soil stands for those with a noble and good heart, who hear the word, retain it, and by persevering produce a crop."

My first suggestion is starting through memorizing what is the center of our salvation, what all the prophets were looking for: the Gospel, the direct Words of Jesus Himself.

I've noticing that memorizing Matthew is pretty easy.

The language and the structure is very logical.

A good tip is to "imagine" the scenes that the Gospel describe. By imagining what's happening, it's easier for our brain and heart to retain.

Another suggestion is to start from the most meaningful parts.

So for instance, the "genealogy of Jesus" or some very descriptive part can come later, while the verses in which Jesus speak should come first.

Another tip is asking yourself questions about the teachings, even have the courage to leave the questions open when you can't answer right away. That way you make room in your heart to learn more.

Last but not least, pray the Spirit to help you.

"But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you."

I appreciate all the helpful, practical ideas.

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  26
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

I find that one of the best ways to memorize Scripture is to study the context and the overall story. It’s much easier to remember the written Word of God, even if not necessarily word-for-word, when we remember the actual story behind it. 

Edited by MeaCulpa3
fixed a typo
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ShinyGospelShoes said:

Also, don't 'chew' too much scripture at one time to try and memorize.  Take bite size texts to begin with, and even break up the texts themselves into smaller bits, say 3-4 words at a time.

Repetition.  Concentration (turn off, put away other factors, tv, radio, computer, cell phone, even music (can sometimes be distracting, unless it is a scripture song), etc.).  One thing at a time.

Setting aside a consistent time, say 15 minutes to 1 hour, depending, daily.

Location.  Set aside the scripture to be memorized with you on a 3 by 5 card, and put in pocket and pull it out throughout the day, and do not merely try to memorize it, but dwell upon what it says, thinking on how it connects with what you already know.  When you have a free moment in the day, quickly pull it out and check the memory.  On the other side of the card, you can write out the first letter of each word with punctuation.

Write out the text on the 3 by 5 card, or paper, or several times through the day.

:thumbsup:All good suggestions. But can you give me a 'for example' on the instruction that says,"  When you have a free moment in the day, quickly pull it out and check the memory.  On the other side of the card, you can write out the first letter of each word with punctuation.?" Pick a verse and maybe show me how to do it? 

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  194
  • Content Per Day:  0.09

The more you read, the bible verses you will remember and memorize.  When I read, I'd also look up and talk to the Lord about them, or tell Him how these verses touch, affect, or impact me.  I'm not a reciting machine where I can split out the relevant bible verses when being asked, but occasionally the right verses appear to me when a person is describing a situation, or when replying to certain topics in here.

So, instead of simply memorizing bible verses, I'd also meditate on them and enjoy them.

Edited by John_Leung
Added last sentence
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, turtletwo said:

:thumbsup:All good suggestions. But can you give me a 'for example' on the instruction that says,"  When you have a free moment in the day, quickly pull it out and check the memory.  On the other side of the card, you can write out the first letter of each word with punctuation.?" Pick a verse and maybe show me how to do it? 

Sure:

On the front of the 3x5 card write out in full:

Est 8:9  Then were the king's scribes called at that time in the third month, that is, the month Sivan, on the three and twentieth day thereof; and it was written according to all that Mordecai commanded unto the Jews, and to the lieutenants, and the deputies and rulers of the provinces which are from India unto Ethiopia, an hundred twenty and seven provinces, unto every province according to the writing thereof, and unto every people after their language, and to the Jews according to their writing, and according to their language.

On the other side of the 3x5 card write:

Est 8:9 T w t k s c a t t i t t m, t i, t m

S, o t t a t d t; a i w w a t a t M

c u t J, a t t l, a t d a r o t p

w a f I u E, a h t a s p, u e p

a t t w t, a u e p a t l, a t t J

a t t w, a a t t l.

spelling, formatting
  • Thanks 1