WordSword

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  163
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,152
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Days Won:  0

Only the Spirit God can inwardly “bear witness with our spirit that we are children of God” (Rom 8:16), thus He continually confirms and assures in our understanding we are His, which none other can do. Then there is the outward indication (which is not necessarily affirmed conformation) of being a child of God, which is “you shall know them by their fruits” (Mat 7:16).

I believe Romans Eight is one of the clearest descriptions concerning this discernment because it alternates between that which is of the sin nature, and that which is of the Spirit. The reason for its clarity is due to the use of contrasting between that which is true only of a believer, and that which is true only of an unbeliever.

It begins with the clear separation between the two by identifying those “who walk not after the flesh” and those who walk after the Spirit; and neither of the two can do both. Nobody can will after the “things” of the sinful nature and after the things of the Spirit of God (Rom 8:5). “A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.” “Either make the tree good, and his fruit good, or else make the tree corrupt and his fruit corrupt” (Mat 7:18; 12:33).

“No man can serve two masters (i.e. sin nature and the Spirit), for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other” (Mat 6:24). James states parallel instruction with, “Does a fountain send forth at the same place sweet water and bitter? . . . so can no fountain both yield salt water and fresh” (3:11, 12).

To “walk after” designs the intention of that which one wills over all things. Though believers are yet effected by the desires of the “old man,” their overriding and ultimate desire and will is always to please God; and it is this all prevalent “desire” (Phil 2:13) of which believers are continually aware. These are not only comforting and assuring but—ever present!

- NC

• Brilliant! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,412
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Hi,

Of commentaries on Romans 8:16  I find agreement by way  of my own experience with what Albert Barnes shares below. I do not believe the Holy Spirit only  shares with my soul using an internal affirmation only for my mind to perceive about my soul as the Holy Spirit has used so much external influence to bring me, my mind spirit and soul, into submission to Christ Jesus in the first place. Plus the Holy Spirit knowing my own unique  personal weakness gave me a reminder to carry daily, By that gift  I will never forget how I was turned about to my own repentence. So  in addition to the writing at Romans 8 there is practical external real experience and personal application at work.

Albert Barnes' Notes on the Whole Bible

The Spirit - The Holy Spirit. That the Holy Spirit here is intended, is evident,

(1)Because this is the natural meaning of the expression;

(2)Because it is of the Holy Spirit that the apostle is mainly treating here;

(3)Because it would be an unnatural and forced construction to say of the temper of adoption that it bore witness.

Beareth witness - Testifies, gives evidence.

With our spirit - To our minds. This pertains to the adoption; and it means that the Holy Spirit furnishes evidence to our minds that we are adopted into the family of God. This effect is not infrequently attributed to the Holy Spirit,  2 Corinthians 1:22;  1 John 5:10-11;  1 Corinthians 2:12. If it be asked how this is done, I answer, it is not by any revelation of new truth; it is not by inspiration; it is not always by assurance; it is not by a mere persuasion that we are elected to eternal life; but it is by producing in us the appropriate effects of his influence. It is his to renew the heart; to sanctify the soul; to produce “love, joy, peace, long-suffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance,”  Galatians 5:22-23. If a man has these, he has evidence of the witnessing of the Spirit with his spirit. If not, he has no such evidence. And the way, therefore, to ascertain whether we have this witnessing of the Spirit, is by an honest and prayerful inquiry whether these fruits of the Spirit actually exist in our minds. If they do, the evidence is clear. If not, all vain confidence of good estate; all visions, and raptures, and fancied revelations, will be mere delusions. It may be added, that the effect of these fruits of the Spirit an the mind is to produce a calm and heavenly frame; and in that frame, when attended with the appropriate fruits of the Spirit in a holy life, we may rejoice as an evidence of piety.

That we are the children of God - That we are adopted into his family.

• Brilliant! 1

4 hours ago, Neighbor said:

Hi,

Of commentaries on Romans 8:16  I find agreement by way  of my own experience with what Albert Barnes shares below. I do not believe the Holy Spirit only  shares with my soul using an internal affirmation only for my mind to perceive about my soul as the Holy Spirit has used so much external influence to bring me, my mind spirit and soul, into submission to Christ Jesus in the first place. Plus the Holy Spirit knowing my own unique  personal weakness gave me a reminder to carry daily, By that gift  I will never forget how I was turned about to my own repentence. So  in addition to the writing at Romans 8 there is practical external real experience and personal application at work.

Albert Barnes' Notes on the Whole Bible

The Spirit - The Holy Spirit. That the Holy Spirit here is intended, is evident,

(1)Because this is the natural meaning of the expression;

(2)Because it is of the Holy Spirit that the apostle is mainly treating here;

(3)Because it would be an unnatural and forced construction to say of the temper of adoption that it bore witness.

Beareth witness - Testifies, gives evidence.

With our spirit - To our minds. This pertains to the adoption; and it means that the Holy Spirit furnishes evidence to our minds that we are adopted into the family of God. This effect is not infrequently attributed to the Holy Spirit,  2 Corinthians 1:22;  1 John 5:10-11;  1 Corinthians 2:12. If it be asked how this is done, I answer, it is not by any revelation of new truth; it is not by inspiration; it is not always by assurance; it is not by a mere persuasion that we are elected to eternal life; but it is by producing in us the appropriate effects of his influence. It is his to renew the heart; to sanctify the soul; to produce “love, joy, peace, long-suffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance,”  Galatians 5:22-23. If a man has these, he has evidence of the witnessing of the Spirit with his spirit. If not, he has no such evidence. And the way, therefore, to ascertain whether we have this witnessing of the Spirit, is by an honest and prayerful inquiry whether these fruits of the Spirit actually exist in our minds. If they do, the evidence is clear. If not, all vain confidence of good estate; all visions, and raptures, and fancied revelations, will be mere delusions. It may be added, that the effect of these fruits of the Spirit an the mind is to produce a calm and heavenly frame; and in that frame, when attended with the appropriate fruits of the Spirit in a holy life, we may rejoice as an evidence of piety.

That we are the children of God - That we are adopted into his family.

Thanks for your reply and comments! Albert Barnes is a good commentator and is one of the two primary Bible commentators I use. I always find the classic commentators (circa 1600'-1800's) most accurate and involved. With Barnes' on this passage it must be assumed that the outward works are true evidences, which can be merely mimicked. One can imitate the Spirit's fruit, but without Him one cannot continue indefinitely.

While Barnes centers on outward evidence, i.e. works truly deriving from  the "fruit of the Spirit" (which is right in its proper sense), John Gill centers on the inward testimony of the Spirit to our mind. It's seems to me to mean more of a knowing than a showing, though one reborn will also show the Spirit's fruit, like one who is merely a mimic. Again, the outward difference will be manifested in the perseverance or non-perseverance, because false professors will inevitably cease from there hypocrisy via apostatizing (never been saved). I believe a backslider is one who is reborn but has yet to mature but inevitably matures. Apostatizers can only depart from a false showing, never having been saved.

"Our own spirits are no witnesses to ourselves: the Father and Son are co-witnesses of the Spirit, but not our own spirits; the spirits of the saints are they which receive the witness of the Spirit of God, to which it is made; not to their ears, for it is not an audible testimony; but to their hearts, it is internal; to their renewed souls, where faith is wrought to receive it; to their understandings, that they may know and be assured of it; to their spirits, which are apt to faint and doubt about it. Now it is "the Spirit itself" that bears this witness, and not others, or by others, but he himself in person; who is a divine witness, whose testimony therefore must be greater than others, and a faithful one, who will never deceive; for he witnesses what he knows, and what is sure and certain: his very being and habitation in the saints are witnesses and proofs of their adoption; his powerful operations and divine landings persuade to a belief of the truth of it; and by shedding abroad the Father's love in the heart, and by the application of Gospel promises, he causes and encourages them to "cry Abba," Father; which is a wonderful instance of his condescension and grace."

https://www.christianity.com/bible/commentary.php?com=gill&b=45&c=8

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,412
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Thanks, good thread fine discussion which leads me to thinking prayer thinking reading and prayer. Thanks for the discussion.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Neighbor said:

Thanks, good thread fine discussion which leads me to thinking prayer thinking reading and prayer. Thanks for the discussion.

Thank you too!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1