How to quit alcoholism?

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  62
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

I’ll admit it: I have an alcoholism problem. I get up at around 7:00 am, then I begin drinking at around 9:30 am. Unfortunately, I don’t drink in moderation. I start with a 24 oz can of beer, then continue drinking another one every two to three hours until the day ends and I’m ready to go to sleep.

Honestly, I don’t see anything wrong with drinking in moderation. If you have a small can of beer at social events such as a family reunion, what’s the harm? For me, though, I can’t drink in moderation. I drink and drink, then I drink some more. There is no stopping.

Part of my problem is that I’m self-employed. Because I’m my own boss, I can get drunk while on the job and can’t get fired.

I feel guilty because every night I tell God that I’m going to quit drinking. Then I wake up, and two and a half hours later I’m craving a tall boy and subsequently relapse.

Did you have an alcoholism problem in the past? How were you able to successfully quit? I’ve tried Alcoholics Anonymous meetings, but they don’t seem to work. In fact, there was one time when I even hit the liquor store right after a meeting. I’ve also been thinking about in-patient rehab—I’ve even checked into it—but they are asking for $7,300 per month, which is a lot of money for me.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,028
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  1

The physical addiction is the first thing to beat and there isn't any other way than just quitting. You're not thinking or preforming your best no matter what you're telling yourself. The first few days will be frustrating and angering but get some pea protein and start your day with a shake made with almond milk a scoop of protein powder a little cocoa powder and honey in a blender.

The acidity in your body will be out of balance because it won't have the beer to regulate what it's grown used to. get over it, be a man. Carrot and celery juice works great but if you don't have a juicer just cut up carrots and celery in sticks and munch on them when you normally have a beer.

The mental habit will be the toughest. The regular habit of cracking open a tall boy needs to be broken with a good habit replacing it. Be creative and healthy. 

No matter what you think we are all fools, jerks, idiots or worse when we drink. We may think we can solve the problems of the world or see things clearer but we do not and can't. 

Most important is asking the Lord for help. He knows what it will take for you to not only quit but draw closer to Him. He so desires for us to be in our right minds because He loves us and when we drink we are not in our right mind. 

Some people lay down drinking at salvation and others struggle. There isn't some one size fits all quick fix, just keep in mind the Lord wants you well. And please stay away from the trap of AA. One visit may be enough to see where you do not want to end up but no need to go there. If you have Jesus you have everything to move forward and be whole.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  2

My observation over the years is that some (not all, but some) addictions and compulsive behaviors are rooted in spiritual or emotional trauma that injured us and crippled us in some way.  In those cases, they are symptoms of something that needs to be healed.   Over time, the physiological component kicks in and drags us deeper and can start impacting huge parts of our life.  Sometimes it requires God to heal and deal with something deep within us that we might not even be aware of as a problem.

I've heard some testimonies from various people of such things that were just instantaneously healed and gone with prayer and others where someone walked with a prayer partner or counselor for a length of time.   I've had a few things in my life that were healed in such a way.  Fortunately, no substance abuse or similar addictions, but definitely some ingrained behavioral and emotional things (that I had come to think of as normal) that just disappeared when someone prayed for me.  I was at a church service with a guest speaker.  Afterwards, I knew that God wanted me to go up to be prayed for, but no particular reason.  The speaker prayed a rather generic prayer over me (without mentioning anything in particular) and I instantly felt changed and some things just dropped out of my life.

I've know a handful of people personally (whom I trust) and some people on the internet that were ministered to in these types of areas of their life through the transformation prayer ministry.   http://www.transformationprayer.org   As I learned more about this years ago, I realized that I'd had similar things happen in my life during prayer though I'd not known someone had put a name to it and taught about it.  The sermon by Ed Smith (http://www.transformationprayer.org/introduction-to-transformation-prayer-ministry/) is about 50 minutes long and summarizes what he learned from seeing God emotionally healing abused women (who had various addictions and compulsive behaviors that they were dealing with).

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  332
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  0

Avoiding AA and rehab is probably a good idea, in my mind. Lots of the addicts are there simply to avoid jail time rather than any desire to change, and much of the staff are comprised of folks who think in terms of money rather than people. In other words, they like return customers.

I avoid alcohol like the plague, but I do have points of advice. The first one i'm going to lay down is one i've laid down many times before. 

It is unreasonable to expect instant results. Old habits die hard.

One should keep in mind, however, to not use this as an excuse to simply give in to the urge. Your greatest enemy here will be yourself, and that side of you is going to cook up any and all excuses to try and trip you up. I'll just chug one last drink, and then i'll be done... But it's never your last. This is a social setting and it would awkward for me to NOT drink, right?... Except every situation becomes a social situation. You're going to trip up, all the same, but try not to trip on yourself, you know?

It may seem like an obvious statement, but fighting any kind of habit/addiction SUCKS. It's like claustrophobia or drowning. Your mind goes whirling, twisting and curling, screeching with desire. It's like you're going 5 mph whereas your mind is going 75 mph; you seemingly can't relax, you can't think, and if even only for a brief period, you think you should just give in only, if only for that momentary peace. That peace will be fleeting, and the urge will only come back stronger. Trying to break the habit, I think you'll experience behavior from yourself you wouldn't have expected.

Don't let the difficulty get you down too much. Hope is what will heal you and hold you up. Hate and despair, panic and fright, those are what will make you falter. Unfortunately, those negatives come with the territory, and they come in abundance; just chase after and hold onto hope, because it never rains forever.

Oh, and yes, do not forsake the power of prayer. We, as mortal men, are weak and foolish. If you lean too far and too much onto yourself and your own power, this will become quite clear to you. Rely on the Lord, for he shall be your strength and your salvation.