• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  65
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,568
  • Content Per Day:  1.39
  • Days Won:  7

Hi guys,

Its been a while since my last question.  

I was wondering which verses or perhaps longer portions you have memorized and if you want to share,  what impact knowing those verses have had. 

I know we are encouraged to study. 2 Timothy 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,024
  • Content Per Day:  1.33
  • Days Won:  3

I've memorized very few verses and even fewer including chapter and verse. This is after becoming a Christian in 1981, btw. 

The two verses I have memorized are John 3:16 and Romans 6:23, both supporting my belief in annihilation vs Eternal Conscious Torment. 

There are quite a few others, but I couldn't tell you chapter and verse and, in some cases, not even the book. But a quick internet search does the trick. :)

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  6
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Psalm 46:10 has been a big one for me over the past several years

Very helpful whenever I feel overwhelmed, anxious or fearful 

Be still and know that I am God

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  332
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  0

Isaiah 10:15 - "Does the axe raise itself above he who swings it, or the saw boast against he who uses it? As if a rod were to lift up he who wields it, or a club brandish he who is not wood!" Originally, I remembered it as a bit of a reference to use against anti-gun supporters, but I think i've come to see depth to it. In a way, we are the objects being used. The clay in the hands of the potter.

Romans 13:14 - "Instead, clothe yourselves with the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the desires of the flesh." This one has helped me in trying to avoid said provisions.

Judges 14:14 - "Out of the eater, something to eat; out of the strong, something sweet." The riddle Samson posed to the Philistines. No real reason, really, I just like riddles.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,247
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

2 hours ago, Annette said:

Hi guys,

Its been a while since my last question.  

I was wondering which verses or perhaps longer portions you have memorized and if you want to share,  what impact knowing those verses have had. 

I know we are encouraged to study. 2 Timothy 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Psa 119:11  Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.

I realized as a baby believer,  I needed to know how it all worked, and began gathering  God's instruction. It was easy back then, so much younger. I found (really, God orchestrated) an older mentor who emphasized the importance of memorizing scripture. He gave me several small pocket sized scripture memorization booklets, by Dr. NA Woychuk, who started 'Bible Memory Association'. That started me putting the word inside my heart, true data, replacing false data.  It works. Just like an antivirus, scanning my hard drive, helping recognize bad doctrine, or my bad behavior. Psalms 119;11 is the most important scripture to me, for my Christian walk, the moment by moment decisions, getting thumbs up or thumbs down, directing my thoughts/thinking. For me at my age, if I don't use it, I lose it.
I met Dr.Woychuk at a Home school book/curriculum event in the early eighties. He was in the ministry for 73 yrs. He could not overemphasize the memorizing of scripture.  Another very important to me;  Pro 3:5-6 
Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.
It's amazing how quickly kids absorb bible verses, if challenged, and enjoy the rewards.

Scripture Memory source;   (copy paste)

https://deeperchristian.com/value-scripture-memorization-na-woychuk/

https://scripturememory.com/about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2oSGONKEHw

Neat thread, Annette.........

canstockphoto25873984.jpg.d18d36fd22185b4a698c4d1de9d43165.jpg