• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  951
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,565
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

14 hours ago, Fidei Defensor said:

True.. although Pop Tarys and etc keep those yellow number 5 dyes and red number two dye in us. :D 

I remember when they first came out with those things 0oo-awful dry no flavor and a ribbon of sticky in the middle. Then the radio djs came out with an ad that said try them again, they are not so dry anymore.

Yes, yuck they were still dry, awful! They just put more of that dreadful sticky in the middle stuff. I tried dunking one in my coffee flavored Carnation   Instant Breakast and the Pop Tart absorbed all of it. Left me with a sludge in a glass. Hard life being a LA basin commuter facing the unknown  freeway dance everyday, thinking will I make LA in an hour and a half or maybe two and a half to get to work? Up at five AM, rush to hit the road, get into a slot and see the same poor smucks doing the same thing in their same cars day after day, all living over the county line. All inching along  playing with the sticky 8 track, or the newer cassette trying to get some music, being tired on the morning AM radio jocks, talking about  mayor Sam.

Oh Lord thank you for getting me past those many years! Actually it was a good time I suppose, a good time of home ownership in the well kinda suburbs. Those "Little Pink Houses" of Orange County CA. Back when the cows could still be smelled when a rare California rain had misted on the land, telling  the home owners, ha your house lot used to be a cattle pen! Aren't you glad you didn't buy way out at Corina, you could smell like pig pen. It was what we thought was the American dream. Plus, families grew up least part way, there in those little houses on all those look alike streets. Soon gone were the orange groves and the cattle, next to go were all the strawberries. 

My house a little green one among  the pink was the one closest to the then "closed" military  airbase Los Alamitos. Yeah right. Closed till it became a military reservist heliocopter  base  featuring Huey's and then the war went very badly  at Vietnam and the base opened up full bore, eventually with C-130's landing over my house bringing in refugees day and night too.  I could wave at their approach and pilots would wave back!

My house also backed up to the last of the great strawberry fields  in the area, some 535 acres of crop land that would be threatened by freezes so helicopters would fly along trying to warm the crops and drop warming water sprays on them.  It was a free extra added attraction all night beofore those 5 am two hour commutes into work. Ah the dream the California dream.

Did  I mention the train? My house also backed up to the train track to nowhere, just by the quarter house race track, and oh the sugar beet processor, maybe a train every other week or so. Yeah right, on that one too. It was really no more than four train runs a day, the train moving on very slowly. The friendly crew tooting their horn to  kids in their back yards, giving an extra long toot at some of the moms sunning in their back yards.

And then there was the rrrrr rrrr rrrr of dirt bikes running behind the houses along those tracks, and the police car chasing them away. a quiet little neighborhood of friendly people just over the line out of dreaded LA County.

It was a grand time, really it was, raising kids, all the neighbors broke too raising theirs. Hard times of the good life growing strong if ya don't break. Getting ready for the real challenges that are to come. Good stuff of life daily life nose to the grindstone, thinking about the beach  the mountains even the night lit pitch and putt golf course, but really just pounding away for a dollar to feed the needs.

That's what I remember  about the Pop Tart era

Edited by Neighbor
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  15

On 8/24/2018 at 5:47 AM, Neighbor said:

I remember when they first came out with those things 0oo-awful dry no flavor and a ribbon of sticky in the middle. Then the radio djs came out with an ad that said try them again, they are not so dry anymore.

Yes, yuck they were still dry, awful! They just put more of that dreadful sticky in the middle stuff. I tried dunking one in my coffee flavored Carnation   Instant Breakast and the Pop Tart absorbed all of it. Left me with a sludge in a glass. Hard life being a LA basin commuter facing the unknown  freeway dance everyday, thinking will I make LA in an hour and a half or maybe two and a half to get to work? Up at five AM, rush to hit the road, get into a slot and see the same poor smucks doing the same thing in their same cars day after day, all living over the county line. All inching along  playing with the sticky 8 track, or the newer cassette trying to get some music, being tired on the morning AM radio jocks, talking about  mayor Sam.

Oh Lord thank you for getting me past those many years! Actually it was a good time I suppose, a good time of home ownership in the well kinda suburbs. Those "Little Pink Houses" of Orange County CA. Back when the cows could still be smelled when a rare California rain had misted on the land, telling  the home owners, ha your house lot used to be a cattle pen! Aren't you glad you didn't buy way out at Corina, you could smell like pig pen. It was what we thought was the American dream. Plus, families grew up least part way, there in those little houses on all those look alike streets. Soon gone were the orange groves and the cattle, next to go were all the strawberries. 

My house a little green one among  the pink was the one closest to the then "closed" military  airbase Los Alamitos. Yeah right. Closed till it became a military reservist heliocopter  base  featuring Huey's and then the war went very badly  at Vietnam and the base opened up full bore, eventually with C-130's landing over my house bringing in refugees day and night too.  I could wave at their approach and pilots would wave back!

My house also backed up to the last of the great strawberry fields  in the area, some 535 acres of crop land that would be threatened by freezes so helicopters would fly along trying to warm the crops and drop warming water sprays on them.  It was a free extra added attraction all night beofore those 5 am two hour commutes into work. Ah the dream the California dream.

Did  I mention the train? My house also backed up to the train track to nowhere, just by the quarter house race track, and oh the sugar beet processor, maybe a train every other week or so. Yeah right, on that one too. It was really no more than four train runs a day, the train moving on very slowly. The friendly crew tooting their horn to  kids in their back yards, giving an extra long toot at some of the moms sunning in their back yards.

And then there was the rrrrr rrrr rrrr of dirt bikes running behind the houses along those tracks, and the police car chasing them away. a quiet little neighborhood of friendly people just over the line out of dreaded LA County.

It was a grand time, really it was, raising kids, all the neighbors broke too raising theirs. Hard times of the good life growing strong if ya don't break. Getting ready for the real challenges that are to come. Good stuff of life daily life nose to the grindstone, thinking about the beach  the mountains even the night lit pitch and putt golf course, but really just pounding away for a dollar to feed the needs.

That's what I remember  about the Pop Tart era

Haha, that and when you eat a Pop Tart you feel all at once you might have cardiovascular event from sugar and sweetness. 

The brown sugar ones are pretty good, mike shake flavor, and etc. now they have cheesecake flavor, what will it be next? Kool Ais and Statbuck’s Mocha Latte? Lol :D 

Ah cassettes, I remember those. I also remember VHS and Blockbuster and late fees. Iremember B.G.(Before Google), B.T.I. (Before the Internet), B.A. (Before Amazon.com), B.S. (Before Smartphones), B.C. (Before Cellphones), B.24NC (Before 24hr News-Cycle), and B.C.C. (Before Cyborg Children: kids glued to phones and TVs 24).  

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Topic Count:  951
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,565
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Ah yes all the technology born of  a simple 1 or 0 lending a slight hint of the awesome capacity of God to know all  all that was is and will be, and to predestine and well as foreknow. While man's decision making is limited by the appeals of the dancing ad man. Otherwise we all would have bought the superior Betamax and Sony would be the Apple of today.

What await the ancient one's of today that get to see tomorrow? Will man make the "fraggle" work ,allowing  the 1 and 0 to be parceled, a gate that opens slightly, or more, maybe eight times as many possibilities as today? If so how close does man then  come  to being able to comprehend God's infinite capacity?

Sony has gone the way of the dodo, next Apple and so on and so on as the circus and marigoround goes around and around. As someone once said “the mob is fickle,” and loyalty to products only is as good as novelty and noteriety in the moment. Thankfully loyalty to Christ endures and His loyalty to us never ceases (John 10:28-30).   

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  154
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,245
  • Content Per Day:  0.78
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/11/1984

You could write history books and make some dosh.  I'd read it, for sure :P

• Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, *Zion* said:

You could write history books and make some dosh.  I'd read it, for sure :P

We can call this thread Neighbor’s first draft of His Annuls or Historia. :)