Debp

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,018
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,302
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  92

A 20 pound Nutria was caught in a trap recently.   They are beaver-like rodents (or called big rats) and are creating havoc in the gigantic wetlands of California.   They were originally brought in for the fur trade.

Only 200 have been exterminated so far....100 of those were found in one pond!!  There is a six person team working to find the Nutria.  I think they have a huge job ahead of them!!   They probably breed like crazy....how can you keep up with that?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,018
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,302
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  92

9 hours ago, Cletus said:

plenty of conibear 220's or maybe 330's would do the trick.  A  bb gun thats 22 caliber with a night vision scope would be appealing to me. 

when a female swamp rat gives birth she is able to breed again in 24 hours.  Females can reach sexual maturity in only 12 weeks.  and I have read up to 13 in a litter though i suspect thats an average for being raised in captivity.  I think that because on the internet they say they get up to 12 pounds and you claim a 20 pounder was caught.  And i have seen some swamp rats that at first i thought was a possum.  they wont grow as big or produce as many babies in a lab or cage is what I think.  Lions in zoos dont get as big as the ones in the wild. 

That is alot of fast breeding.   The article I read is the first I've heard of the Nutria.  Of course, I'm in Southern California....away from the Delta area.