• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  2,237
  • Topics Per Day:  0.50
  • Content Count:  4,362
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  04/11/1947

First of all I was looking at The word Sin and what do it mean for me in todays life in the bible.

He that covereth his sins shall not prosper: but whoso confesseth and forsaketh them shall have mercy. Proverbs 28:13 

He that covereth his sins shall not prosper

He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil. 1 John 3:8 He that committeth sin is of the devil

If it be for anything that has separated us from our Saviour, So! why not take heed to yourselves as the scriptures have said

But your iniquities have separated between you and your God, and your sins have hid his face from you, that he will not hear. Isaiah 59:2 Isaiah 59 , Trangressions against God Laws is Sin 1 John 3:4 

Sin

Edited by Walter and Deborah
More Info.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  649
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Days Won:  0

20 hours ago, Walter and Deborah said:

First of all I was looking at The word Sin and what do it mean for me in todays life in the bible.

He that covereth his sins shall not prosper: but whoso confesseth and forsaketh them shall have mercy. Proverbs 28:13 

He that covereth his sins shall not prosper

He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil. 1 John 3:8 He that committeth sin is of the devil

If it be for anything that has separated us from our Saviour, So! why not take heed to yourselves as the scriptures have said

But your iniquities have separated between you and your God, and your sins have hid his face from you, that he will not hear. Isaiah 59:2 Isaiah 59 , Trangressions against God Laws is Sin 1 John 3:4 

Sin

And it is by the correction we receive for our  sins that we can be reassured continually that we are His children .

If you are child of His He will not let you get away with your sin .

This is why David could speak of finding  " COMFORT "   in the  " ROD & STAFF "  of God's correction being applied to his back for his terrible sin of adultery and murder .

It let David know that even in His sin God was not done with him and not far from him .

Therefore when we sin we can give thanks when God takes us to the woodshed and applies the lash to our back .

If you are not paying a awful price for your sin you can be sure that you are no child His .

" ...Thy rod and Thy staff they comfort me ."       ( Psalm 23 : 4 )

4 hours ago, Unfailing Presence said:

And it is by the correction we receive for our  sins that we can be reassured continually that we are His children .

If you are child of His He will not let you get away with your sin .

This is why David could speak of finding  " COMFORT "   in the  " ROD & STAFF "  of God's correction being applied to his back for his terrible sin of adultery and murder .

It let David know that even in His sin God was not done with him and not far from him .

Therefore when we sin we can give thanks when God takes us to the woodshed and applies the lash to our back .

If you are not paying a awful price for your sin you can be sure that you are no child His .

" ...Thy rod and Thy staff they comfort me ."       ( Psalm 23 : 4 )

I agree with the above: Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:11,

Romans 6:23

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  905
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,646
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

Guilt sometimes makes "being dead to sin" difficult. 

I am fairly certain we are agreed everybody sins. And everybody sins daily. 

That Christianity is faith in Christ for the forgiveness of all sins past present and future.... 

So being dead to sin is not so much not sinning (which is obviously ideal) but realizing that our sins are covered. 

Our peace with God is absolute. Now we may make a jolly mess of things in THIS life from sins... but our eternity 

is secure. And while there are degrees of punishment in hell, there are degrees of rewards in heaven for above and beyond 

the call to salvation. It's not like the old Bugs Bunny cartoon where a "refined" version of Yosemite Sam gets docked a certain 

amount of his inheritance for every bad word he says... 

And I truly doubt we will be envious in heaven of those who are given greater rewards than us... 

I believe our joy for the rewards of others will only be surpassed by our joy for being in the presence of Almighty God. 

The longer I live the more I realize we (and especially I) do not understand what heaven will be like. And I realize more just how evil people

are down here. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/29/2018 at 9:41 PM, JohnD said:

Guilt sometimes makes "being dead to sin" difficult. 

I am fairly certain we are agreed everybody sins. And everybody sins daily. 

That Christianity is faith in Christ for the forgiveness of all sins past present and future.... 

So being dead to sin is not so much not sinning (which is obviously ideal) but realizing that our sins are covered. 

Our peace with God is absolute. Now we may make a jolly mess of things in THIS life from sins... but our eternity 

is secure. And while there are degrees of punishment in hell, there are degrees of rewards in heaven for above and beyond 

the call to salvation. It's not like the old Bugs Bunny cartoon where a "refined" version of Yosemite Sam gets docked a certain 

amount of his inheritance for every bad word he says... 

And I truly doubt we will be envious in heaven of those who are given greater rewards than us... 

I believe our joy for the rewards of others will only be surpassed by our joy for being in the presence of Almighty God. 

The longer I live the more I realize we (and especially I) do not understand what heaven will be like. And I realize more just how evil people

are down here. 

God forbid that we continue to willful sin

• Topic Count:  905
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,646
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

On 8/31/2018 at 11:19 PM, Walter and Deborah said:

God forbid that we continue to willful sin

Amen. 

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  59
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  06/24/1994

On 8/19/2018 at 10:27 PM, Walter and Deborah said:

It means exactly what it meant 5000 years ago , disobedience against God .

On 8/19/2018 at 10:27 PM, Walter and Deborah said:

That's why we need to be born again , one sin is enought to not enter heaven . 1 John 3:9

On 9/1/2018 at 6:19 AM, Walter and Deborah said:

No we won't , people will be either happy of what they got or sad and cry of what they lost .

On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 12:33 AM, Soul Reaper said:

It means exactly what it meant 5000 years ago , disobedience against God .

That's why we need to be born again , one sin is enought to not enter heaven . 1 John 3:9

No we won't , people will be either happy of what they got or sad and cry of what they lost .

We did not say that on 8-31-18

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  87
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,795
  • Content Per Day:  1.34

On 8/20/2018 at 11:54 AM, Unfailing Presence said:

"

I'm not paying an awful price for my sin.

And i wont be paying one after im dead.

Jesus already did, on the cross, for me.

Thats why He came.

This is : Salvation.

Its wonderful, and its FREE.

• Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,242
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

It is true that when we stray from God, He chastens those He loves.   Part of that is losing fellowship with God, and part is suffering the natural consequences of sin.   When we confess our sin He is faithful and just to forgive us our sin and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.  Unknowing or accidental sin is automatically covered by the Blood of Jesus and we remain in fellowship with God and other Christians.  

1Jn 3:2 ESV Beloved, we are God's children now, and what we will be has not yet appeared; but we know that when he appears we shall be like him, because we shall see him as he is.

1Jn 3:3  And everyone who thus hopes in him purifies himself as he is pure.

1Jn 3:4  Everyone who makes a practice of sinning also practices lawlessness; sin is lawlessness.

1Jn 3:5  You know that he appeared in order to take away sins, and in him there is no sin.

1Jn 3:6  No one who abides in him keeps on sinning; no one who keeps on sinning has either seen him or known him.

1Jn 3:7  Little children, let no one deceive you. Whoever practices righteousness is righteous, as he is righteous.

1Jn 3:8  Whoever makes a practice of sinning is of the devil, for the devil has been sinning from the beginning. The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the works of the devil.

1Jn 3:9  No one born of God makes a practice of sinning, for God's seed abides in him, and he cannot keep on sinning because he has been born of God.

1Jn 3:10  By this it is evident who are the children of God, and who are the children of the devil: whoever does _not practice righteousness is not of God, nor is the one who does not love his brother. _______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Jn 3:4 LITV Everyone practicing sin also practices lawlessness, and sin is lawlessness.

1Jn 3:5  And you know that that One was revealed that He might take away our sins, and sin is not in Him.

1Jn 3:6  Everyone remaining in Him does not sin. Everyone sinning has not seen Him, nor known Him.

1Jn 3:7  Little children, let no one lead you astray; the one practicing righteousness is righteous, even as that One is righteous.

1Jn 3:8  The one practicing sin is of the devil, because the devil sins from the beginning. For this the Son of God was revealed, that He might undo the works of the devil.

1Jn 3:9  Everyone who has been begotten of God does not sin, because His seed abides in him, and he is not able to sin, because he has been born of God.

1Jn 3:10  By this the children of God and the children of the devil are revealed: Everyone not practicing righteousness is not of God; also the one not loving his brother.

The English Standard Version and the Literal Version are two versions that do a much better job of correctly translating the verb tenses than KJV did.  Here in 1 John 3 it is one of an ongoing act.  Those who make sin a lifestyle or continue sinning have not repented and turned to Christ.  That doesn't mean that a Christian will never stumble or sin again; they will confess it to God and move on.   Those who follow Christ and walk in God's love, in the Spirit, will practice righteousness.  

1Jn 3:8  Whoever makes a practice of sinning is of the devil, for the devil has been sinning from the beginning.   This is a better translation.

On 8/19/2018 at 1:27 PM, Walter and Deborah said:

He that committeth sin is of the devil;

King James doesn't translate ongoing acts of verbs which can't be done with one word.  We have no direct translation of that tense.  So it creates an incorrect understanding of many such passages.  The context of the whole passage is that of continuing to practice sin or righteousness.   It does not refer to an occasional occurrence of sin.   People who believe they are without any sin in this life are blind to their own faults and are in danger of falling into self righteousness.  We are all a work in progress and are being transformed into the likeness of Christ as we keep our eyes on Him.