Christiangal

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  26
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Hi guys. So I went to a Church of Christ event. This is a very big church in every city in the world. They call themselves a non-denominational Church . I really enjoyed it. They had such fun stuff all the time. Then I find out that they believe that you get the Holy Spirit when you are water baptized. They take that verse in Acts literally, forgot which one. Anywho, I was thrown for a loop when they actually told me that I don’t have the Holy Spirit because I need to get water baptized first. So this stinks because I was enjoying all the fun events they have but does this mean I shouldn’t go to their church anymore?  Or is it ok for me to still go even though I know that their belief about water baptism is nonsense.....????

Edited by Christiangal
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  26
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

3 minutes ago, Yowm said:

There are so many bodies that go by the name "Church of Christ". Do you have a doctrinal statement from this Church. I wonder what they do with Acts 10

While Peter was still saying these things, the Holy Spirit fell on all who heard the word. And the believers from among the circumcised who had come with Peter were amazed, because the gift of the Holy Spirit was poured out even on the Gentiles. For they were hearing them speaking in tongues and extolling God. Then Peter declared, “Can anyone withhold water for baptizing these people, who have received the Holy Spirit just as we have?” And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ. Then they asked him to remain for some days.
(Act 10:44-48)

These received the Holy Spirit before they were baptized.

Miss out on the 'fun and games'? Don't compromise.

Yeah. Stinks. They are such a BIG church everywhere and always have awesome stuff to do all the time. You’re right though. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  15

36 minutes ago, Christiangal said:

Hi guys. So I went to a Church of Christ event. This is a very big church in every city in the world. They call themselves a non-denominational Church . I really enjoyed it. They had such fun stuff all the time. Then I find out that they believe that you get the Holy Spirit when you are water baptized. They take that verse in Acts literally, forgot which one. Anywho, I was thrown for a loop when they actually told me that I don’t have the Holy Spirit because I need to get water baptized first. So this stinks because I was enjoying all the fun events they have but does this mean I shouldn’t go to their church anymore?  Or is it ok for me to still go even though I know that their belief about water baptism is nonsense.....????

The Baptism is the Holy Spirit is a separate event, “When the apostles in Jerusalem heard that the people of Samaria had accepted God’s message, they sent Peter and John there. 15 As soon as they arrived, they prayed for these new believers to receive the Holy Spirit. 16 The Holy Spirit had not yet come upon any of them, for they had only been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 17 Then Peter and John laid their hands upon these believers, and they received the Holy Spirit,” (Acts 8:14-17), and, “While Apollos was at Corinth, Paul took the road through the interior and arrived at Ephesus. There he found some disciples and asked them, “Did you receive the Holy Spirit when[a] you believed?”

They answered,

“No, we have not even heard that there is a Holy Spirit.”

So Paul asked, “Then what baptism did you receive?”

“John’s baptism,” they replied.

Paul said, “John’s baptism was a baptism of repentance. He told the people to believe in the one coming after him, that is, in Jesus.” On hearing this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.When Paul placed his hands on them, the Holy Spirit came on them, and they spoke in tongues[b] and prophesied. There were about twelve men in all.” (Acts 19:1-6). 

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.93
  • Days Won:  3

3 hours ago, Christiangal said:

I attended one Sunday service at a Church Of Christ and that was enough for me to know that it was not for me. They lost me when they told me the do not belive in playing interments in church.  I do not want to bash on another church. But I have heard somethings that I question.  For one they belive that their church "The Church Of Christ", is the only true church; and that all other churches are wrong.  Anyway, there are many Youtube videos made by people who have left the church and their reasons for leaving.  Also I don't think that one should be a part of a church just for the fun events. Fun events are okay and good to have, but if you don't think they are right in what they are teaching it is best to move on.  

So that is my take on the matter. God Bless. 

• Thumbs Up 3

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,043
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

while they don't play instruments in church, they do usually have very good music.  The Church I attended for my first 17 years had many of the congregation take voice lessons and choir practice once a week....    most people could read shape music.  I was taught as a child that they did not have musical instruments because there isn't any mention of them being used in the Churches in the New Testament...

There are many other reasons that I decided it was not the place for me, but most of the people there are serious Christians   I think what bothered me the most was finding out that they do believe that no one can be saved until they are baptized by a member of their group of churches....    It is the act of baptism that saves a person.  But I would say that they do have a group of people that can baptize anyone 24/7/365 when that person decides to be saved.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,803
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

Not every Church of Christ believes the same thing or is the same "Church of Christ". 

In my area, the various Church of Christ groups differ from Baptist in that they do not believe in musical instruments in the worship service and they believe in baptismal regeneration [must be dunked under the water to be saved.]

1 hour ago, LadyKay said:

I attended one Sunday service at a Church Of Christ and that was enough for me to know that it was not for me. They lost me when they told me the do not belive in playing interments in church.  I do not want to bash on another church. But I have heard somethings that I question.  For one they belive that their church "The Church Of Christ", is the only true church; and that all other churches are wrong.  Anyway, there are many Youtube videos made by people who have left the church and their reasons for leaving.  Also I don't think that one should be a part of a church just for the fun events. Fun events are okay and good to have, but if you don't think they are right in what they are teaching it is best to move on.  

So that is my take on the matter. God Bless. 

I agree with you that we should not pick a church because of fun events....    I guess I just get my enjoyment from something different.   My problem personally is that the more I study the more I find things in all churches that I don't think is right.....                  So we picked a church where the people obviously love and take care of each other and the pastor is pretty good about teaching the Bible.....    and I kind of overlook a few things that strikes me as off.....

It is my personal experience that the true church is a core group of people at most places that are just true believers and live their lives as they see Jesus wants them/us to.

• Thumbs Up 2

7 minutes ago, Jayne said:

Not every Church of Christ believes the same thing or is the same "Church of Christ". 

In my area, the various Church of Christ groups differ from Baptist in that they do not believe in musical instruments in the worship service and they believe in baptismal regeneration [must be dunked under the water to be saved.]

the denomination calls itself Churches of Christ, though they will tell you that they are not a denomination but the true Churches.

I have attended several Churches of Christ over the years and each of them have the same core beliefs though they do not have them documented in some book.....   I have experienced more than one preacher loose his job from straying from those beliefs.....   one if which is the baptismal regeneration you speak of.....        All miracles of the Holy Spirit ended with the death of the last of the Apostles if I remember correctly and that God speaks to us through the Bible and not any kind of influence directly from the Holy Spirit.  Unless they have changed in the past 10 years or so they also don't believe actual miracles happen today.....    And you would have to show them an arm or something that instantly grew back if someone had lost one to convince them of the miracle...        

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Brilliant! 1

• Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,164
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Birthday:  11/10/1961

24 minutes ago, other one said:

I agree with you that we should not pick a church because of fun events....    I guess I just get my enjoyment from something different.   My problem personally is that the more I study the more I find things in all churches that I don't think is right.....                  So we picked a church where the people obviously love and take care of each other and the pastor is pretty good about teaching the Bible.....    and I kind of overlook a few things that strikes me as off.....

It is my personal experience that the true church is a core group of people at most places that are just true believers and live their lives as they see Jesus wants them/us to.

That's been my experience as well. I don't agree 100% with what my current church teaches, but I know its God's will for believers to meet together so I'm willing to over a few things as well. Non-salvation issues and the like. Its easy to spot the folks who love Jesus and one another.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,399
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  1

The doctrine that one must be physically baptized in water to be saved is a 100% works salvation doctrine..

Paul hardly ever water baptized anyone.. But many where baptized in the Holy Spirit when Paul preached to them..

Paul said::

1 Corinthians 1 KJV

:14"I thank God that I baptized none of you, but Crispus and Gaius; {15} Lest any should say that I had baptized in mine own name. {16} And I baptized also the household of Stephanas: besides, I know not whether I baptized any other. {17} For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect."

• Thumbs Up 2