My un-Godly job situation

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  8
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

I joined a team within my company about a year ago and am now regretting it.  I am the only straight (and female, and Christian) person in a group of five money-hungry, Christian-hating gay men whose mouths and minds are filled with the most vile things, and they speak of everyone around them -clients, other teams, anyone - with bitter contempt.  I was not the most devoted Christian when I joined, so it would be an unpleasant surprise to my team if I were to begin to demonstrate my faith, even in the smallest ways. In fact, whenever they take the opportunity to bash believers, I stay silent for fear of putting my job in jeopardy.  They managed to push out the previous girl, who was also a Christian. My desire is to leave the team and find a better fit - as well as something closer to home (my commute is over an hour one way).

I have been praying persistently to Jesus to invoke the Holy Spirit to either strengthen my walk and help me endure this job, or provide a better opportunity.  But neither has happened, and I live in constant discouragement.

Recently I was presented with a better offer from a Godly team in my hometown.  I turned it down before my resume was even accepted, simply because the ringleader of my team suspected I was looking for another job, and offered me a $200 gas card and a .50-cent an hour raise.  Now I feel like Judas, who was bought out by the Pharisees for a bag of coins. Furthermore, my boss has recently insisted on helping me financially with moving into my new apartment. So I feel ashamed, because in a way I am greatly indebted to him.

Would there be a reason for God to keep me in this job - possibly to use it as a mission field? I should hope not, no Christian should have to be surrounded by this daily filth!  But I’m afraid since I forfeited my chance at a better opportunity for a few cents more an hour, I have indeed messed up God’s plan, and now must remain here as a consequence. How am I ever to know which path God wants me to take?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,010
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,206
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  92

2 hours ago, Jen77 said:

I joined a team within my company about a year ago and am now regretting it.  I am the only straight (and female, and Christian) person in a group of five money-hungry, Christian-hating gay men whose mouths and minds are filled with the most vile things, and they speak of everyone around them -clients, other teams, anyone - with bitter contempt.  I was not the most devoted Christian when I joined, so it would be an unpleasant surprise to my team if I were to begin to demonstrate my faith, even in the smallest ways. In fact, whenever they take the opportunity to bash believers, I stay silent for fear of putting my job in jeopardy.  They managed to push out the previous girl, who was also a Christian. My desire is to leave the team and find a better fit - as well as something closer to home (my commute is over an hour one way).

I have been praying persistently to Jesus to invoke the Holy Spirit to either strengthen my walk and help me endure this job, or provide a better opportunity.  But neither has happened, and I live in constant discouragement.

Recently I was presented with a better offer from a Godly team in my hometown.  I turned it down before my resume was even accepted, simply because the ringleader of my team suspected I was looking for another job, and offered me a $200 gas card and a .50-cent an hour raise.  Now I feel like Judas, who was bought out by the Pharisees for a bag of coins. Furthermore, my boss has recently insisted on helping me financially with moving into my new apartment. So I feel ashamed, because in a way I am greatly indebted to him.

Would there be a reason for God to keep me in this job - possibly to use it as a mission field? I should hope not, no Christian should have to be surrounded by this daily filth!  But I’m afraid since I forfeited my chance at a better opportunity for a few cents more an hour, I have indeed messed up God’s plan, and now must remain here as a consequence. How am I ever to know which path God wants me to take?

Hi, while you are working there, how about starting to let your light shine for Christ?   You don't have to hit people on the head with the Bible....after all, it is your workplace and you are there to work.   But let your faith begin to show in other ways.   Perhaps there might be a change in them eventually?

Also, you can send out some other resumes to see if you get a response...then go with how you feel led at that time.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  536
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Days Won:  1

4 hours ago, Jen77 said:

Hello Jen77! Try this. Read your post as if it was someone else's dilemma.  What would your advise be to that person? You already know the answer. Now, read Colossians Chapter 3 and especially versus 23 and 24. No need for advice after all as this is your answer!

Cheers!!! :)

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  2

.  [deleted.  Too much personal information in case I go public with my real name some day.]  

Edited by GandalfTheWise
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Debp said:

Hi, while you are working there, how about starting to let your light shine for Christ?   You don't have to hit people on the head with the Bible....after all, it is your workplace and you are there to work.   But let your faith begin to show in other ways.   Perhaps there might be a change in them eventually?

Also, you can send out some other resumes to see if you get a response...then go with how you feel led at that time.

Thank you for that, I have considered both.

• Loved it! 1

2 hours ago, RockyMidnight said:

Hello Jen77! Try this. Read your post as if it was someone else's dilemma.  What would your advise be to that person? You already know the answer. Now, read Colossians Chapter 3 and especially versus 23 and 24. No need for advice after all as this is your answer!

Cheers!!! :)

Thank you, I'm not sure how I would answer this question.  The verses in Colossians do hit home, so thank you for the reference.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  168
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  394
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Birthday:  12/28/1983

Saying "be a light for Christ" is true BUT insensitive at this stage.

You are not a Judas, you are a real Christian as this is real persecution. Full stop.

Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and say all kinds of evil against you for great is your reward in heaven Sister. Mathew 5:11-12 I think that is.

Do not beat yourself up. Wisdom might say that you missed a chance to move job but you will also get another chance to move where you will be able to shine brighter for Christ as you are not surrounded by dogs not that we do not forgive them and pray for them.

Bless you.

P.S. God loves gays and so do I - just incase Stone wall stones me.

Edited by Sharky and George
Cover

Also for now in your job before you leave if that is what you decide to do, the first bit of 1 John 4:18 "perfect love casts out fear", will keep you out of trouble.

These people you talk of do not understand what they are doing and it can be really tough when they have a go at you. If you can remember that they are lost souls who need love and therefore love them when they have a go at you, then this will cast out fear - you will actually feel amazing as love is the greatest thing.

IF you can, keep the "lost souls who need love" words in your head and you will do well.

Proverbs 16:32 is amazing also and I suggest you get that programmed into your head and then into your heart.

Bless you.

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

On 8/22/2018 at 1:31 PM, Jen77 said:

Hi Jen, Almost every job I've had was similar to yours. You have to treat everyone with the love of God without saying anything about it. If anyone on the team is being pulled to God that person will come to you. This actually happened on my last job. It was the 1st time ever and now I'm retired. 

I don't think God wants you there so next time an opportunity comes along to leave take it, even if it means less money. You're in a bad situation and even if it can't un-save you it certainly can make you so miserable that life may pass you by without you realizing it. So I agree with what Deb said, send out resumes and keep your eyes open for something else. You're probably a better worker than the others and the manager knows it. That's another reason he gave you an increase + the gas card, he didn't want to lose you. But your emotional state of mind is more important. Stay strong and when you can change jobs do so.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

I wanted to give JTC's last post a thumb's up but the button doesn't work lol.

Here is a thumb's up done manually!!

Edited by Sharky and George
Re-wording