• Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.35
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

2 hours ago, Neighbor said:

I so wish I had gained a much higher level of formal education! I so wish I had been called to be a teacher or to have that capacity anyway, but hey someone has to see to it that the buildings are still squared and to make sure that the plumbing works. All cannot be the head the body needs arms and legs and even little toes. And I do see that God has led me to education formal education in specialty skills and in trades too.  I also learned formally much about business law that is needed today in  the church as well as on the street of commerce.

My point- always learn, learn disciplined and never stop the learning  never be envious of another's acomplishment in receiving formal education for that is a sin too. Thank you all that have worked so hard as to complete your educational opportunities and still go on learning more and sharing of the skills gained  to the glory of God in all that you do. 

I AM SO HAPPY my higher education was burned out of me BY the SPIRIT   .  I AM so happy and content just following the SPIRIT .

WELL at least ONE OF US IS CONTENT .     Godliness with contentment ,  OH such great gain .    ALWAYS be hungry for truth , always feed of that bible , always heed the Spirit .    OH what wonderful great peace IN HIM .     And how I thank THE LORD that by the washing of HIS WORD , my mind was cleansed

day by day IN that bible , as I learned real truth and that truth exposed my higher education for the lies it was .   OH praise be to GOD .  HIS MERCY IS DAILY .

Edited by frienduff thaylorde

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,164
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/10/1961

20 hours ago, Fidei Defensor said:

The tradition during the time of Jesus was that Hebrew boys after attending Hebrew school having showed promise could go to Advanced Hebrew School to learn to become a Rabbi. If a student did not advance to Rabbinical school they went home to learn their father’s trade: fishing, carpentry, merchandising, and etc. 

Jesus did not end up going to Rabbinical school, “Is not this the carpenter, the son of Mary, and brother of James and Joses and Judas and Simon? Are not His sisters here with us?" And they took offense at Him.” (Mark 6:3).  God Incarnate (John 1:1-17, Colossians 2:9, Titus 2:13, 2 Peter 1:1) was not able to go to Seminary and instead was sent home to learn carpentry (Greek Tacton, carpentery and stone masonry) from Joseph. 

What do you think of this? The God of the Universe from who all wisdom and knowledge flows (Colossians 2:2-3) didn’t cut it for seminary and Rabbinical school. 

Thoughts? 

I don't think all that much of it. Jesus whole life was lived according to the Father's will, and that apparently didn't include Jesus being trained as a Rabbi. His questioning and talking with the religious leaders as a boy in the temple would have been something to watch, I'll bet!

This is just an opinion, but it seems from what we see in Scripture that God can use anyone to further His purposes since not all the apostles, prophets, or even Jesus Himself were trained Rabbis. I think that sets a good picture for anyone who's called of the Lord to a place of service or leadership in a (local) church body or anywhere else. Education can certainly help, but it not an absolute requirement for the Lord's service.

Edited by walla299
Clarification.
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,243
  • Content Per Day:  0.97
  • Days Won:  1

2 hours ago, Neighbor said:

It is pretty much an example of Festinger's Theory of Cognitive Dissonance at work. Find what agrees with what one already  already has made a decision about, and then reject all that does not agree with that decision. That way one feels most comfortbale in decisions already made, and  can just stay  comfortable.

Ex:  I didn't finish school I need justification for that decision. Ah Jesus, I think I know He know He did not go to school, well least I can make that assumption out of thin air not knowing otherwise- and he was called the carpenter. Surely carpenters don't have schooling of any kind. I am comfortable now

I didn't finish school, Neighbor. I also was/am a carpenter.  "Surely carpenters don't have schooling of any kind" .....default_cool2.gif.8cf7708b77857a5f7bde6158027c5a4a.gif.....
I'm not sure, but I think you will agree  the apostle Paul was one of the most educated men in the bible. But with all that education,  he had been trained in and was fanatically devoted to the erroneous traditions of Judaism, the Lord had to knock some sense into him and point him in another direction, (deprogram his polluted mind) and Ananias laid hands on him and the scales fell off his eyes, then his ministry.
I believe much of the evil present in America today was spewed from what is taught in our gov schools, and colleges and universities.       Our intelligentsia elite.  Teaching your children, their beliefs,  in a school near you.....

• Thumbs Up 2

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,532
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

31 minutes ago, Gary Lee said:

I didn't finish school, Neighbor. I also was/am a carpenter.  "Surely carpenters don't have schooling of any kind" .....default_cool2.gif.8cf7708b77857a5f7bde6158027c5a4a.gif.....
I'm not sure, but I think you will agree  the apostle Paul was one of the most educated men in the bible. But with all that education,  he had been trained in and was fanatically devoted to the erroneous traditions of Judaism, the Lord had to knock some sense into him and point him in another direction, (deprogram his polluted mind) and Ananias laid hands on him and the scales fell off his eyes, then his ministry.
I believe much of the evil present in America today was spewed from what is taught in our gov schools, and colleges and universities.       Our intelligentsia elite.  Teaching your children, their beliefs,  in a school near you.....

That there are things taught that are not good to embrace is no  good reason to tout ignorance; and certainly no reason the rail against those that do  spend years of time allotted  time trying to learn the word of God ever so well, better than most of "us" carpenters can have time to really do and still do our own calling to make all that we make in  a manner theat shares of the glory of God.

BTW; would you have any need of or interest in a lightly used three phase Laguna TSS table saw, or any power planes, or wood lathes, or band saws? (It's a hard thing to find ones self having developed allergy to wood shavings and sawdust.).

One can learn carpentry, one can learn furniture making,  and fine cabinetry too, but one gets a pretty great jump on the apprentice and the journeyman by  atending  and learning at a fine higher education college with  art architecture and wood design as courses for gaining  knowledge.

See http://www.scad.edu/academics/programs/furniture-design for just one such institution. Do I think I would have benefitted from such an opportunity as to attend? Yes! I sure do. But hey hand me a tube of chalk and I will make most pieces fit together, what with a wet thumb and some latex paint well applied - Ha.

Edited by Neighbor

1 hour ago, frienduff thaylorde said:

I AM SO HAPPY my higher education was burned out of me BY the SPIRIT   .  I AM so happy and content just following the SPIRIT .

WELL at least ONE OF US IS CONTENT .     Godliness with contentment ,  OH such great gain .    ALWAYS be hungry for truth , always feed of that bible , always heed the Spirit .    OH what wonderful great peace IN HIM .     And how I thank THE LORD that by the washing of HIS WORD , my mind was cleansed

day by day IN that bible , as I learned real truth and that truth exposed my higher education for the lies it was .   OH praise be to GOD .  HIS MERCY IS DAILY .

"my mind was cleansed"

“When the unclean spirit has gone out of a person, it passes through waterless places seeking rest, but finds none.  Then it says, ‘I will return to my house from which I came.’ And when it comes, it finds the house empty, swept, and put in order.  Then it goes and brings with it seven other spirits more evil than itself, and they enter and dwell there, and the last state of that person is worse than the first. So also will it be with this evil generation.”

"Cleansing " is insufficient and even a very very dangerous risk, otherwise Scientology might  be a pretty great thing to be participating in. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  15

47 minutes ago, walla299 said:

I don't think all that much of it. Jesus whole life was lived according to the Father's will, and that apparently didn't include Jesus being trained as a Rabbi. His questioning and talking with the religious leaders as a boy in the temple would have been something to watch, I'll bet!

This is just an opinion, but it seems from what we see in Scripture that God can use anyone to further His purposes since not all the apostles, prophets, or even Jesus Himself were trained Rabbis. I think that sets a good picture for anyone who's called of the Lord to a place of leadership in a church body. Education can certainly help, but it not an absolute requirement for the Lord's service.

Ah, you use the Count all things lost argument! Well matched (good one) :) 

Watch out for those dogs, those people who do evil, those mutilators who say you must be circumcised to be saved. For we who worship by the Spirit of God[b] are the ones who are truly circumcised. We rely on what Christ Jesus has done for us. We put no confidence in human effort, though I could have confidence in my own effort if anyone could. Indeed, if others have reason for confidence in their own efforts, I have even more!

I was circumcised when I was eight days old. I am a pure-blooded citizen of Israel and a member of the tribe of Benjamin—a real Hebrew if there ever was one! I was a member of the Pharisees, who demand the strictest obedience to the Jewish law. I was so zealous that I harshly persecuted the church. And as for righteousness, I obeyed the law without fault.

I once thought these things were valuable, but now I consider them worthless because of what Christ has done. Yes, everything else is worthless when compared with the infinite value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have discarded everything else, counting it all as garbage, so that I could gain Christ and become one with him. I no longer count on my own righteousness through obeying the law; rather, I become righteous through faith in Christ.[c] For God’s way of making us right with himself depends on faith. 10 I want to know Christ and experience the mighty power that raised him from the dead. I want to suffer with him, sharing in his death, 11 so that one way or another I will experience the resurrection from the dead! 

Let all who are spiritually mature agree on these things. If you disagree on some point, I believe God will make it plain to you.16 But we must hold on to the progress we have already made.” (Phillipians 3:2-11, 15). 

Paul had the highest seminary education, even tutored by Gamilel ans he counts it lost. 

1 hour ago, Fidei Defensor said:

“Thank you for your candor.”

I had the opposite reaction. Jesus not getting into Rabbinical school is a message to the religious establishment. If God cannot get into a Acadèmia of men, then is the Acadèmia even safe?, “For the wisdom of this world is folly with God. For it is written, “He catches the wise in their craftiness,” (1 Corinthians  3:19), and “and again, “The Lord knows the thoughts of the wise, that they are futile.” (1 Corinthians 3:20), and, “For the foolishness of God is wiser than man’s wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than man’s strength.” (1 Corinthians 1:25). 

Jesus himself said that we would have the Trinity as our teachers, “Neither be called instructors (teachers), for you have one instructor, the Christ,” (Matthew 23:10), “But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you,” (John 14:6), and, “Christ, in whom is all the storehouses of wisdom and knowledge.” (Colossians 2:2-3). 

I do believe there is advantages to education. However, most universities and colleges have become propaganda policies rather than houses of higher learning. Instead of “teaching you how to think, they teach you what to think.” Instead of helping you develop deductive reasoning  and how to come up with your own arguments, you are given the argument and it must be recited like mantra or else your grades will fail. 

Higher learning has become almost as corrupt as the Pharissees, where you have to buy your position. It had been discovered that the college gambit is connected to Wall Street and Banks that’s are making a killing on student loans (Reader’s Digest). 

Hi again. I  know there is corruption, think there always has been, but at this late point in life looking back I have no regret at receiving what education I managed to garner. Plus I find I have gained tremendous respect for the very hard times others put in to further their own education in order to better share of our Lord  and to do all that they do to His Glory.

My own offspring   have gained far superior education than I. They have benefitted in ways I never had opportunity to even test out. I am pleased that the decision was made to sacrifice so that they might gain.  I also am sure pleased that my pastors and elders and even deacons go to formal education and seminary training and seminars sacrificing of their  time and their money to do so. All so that i might benefit from their teaching to me. They all are a major asset in my life, assets that I could not buy except for the combined Holy Spirit led will at the local body of Christ Jesus encouraging them.

Guest shiloh357
20 hours ago, Fidei Defensor said:

The tradition during the time of Jesus was that Hebrew boys after attending Hebrew school having showed promise could go to Advanced Hebrew School to learn to become a Rabbi. If a student did not advance to Rabbinical school they went home to learn their father’s trade: fishing, carpentry, merchandising, and etc. 

Jesus did not end up going to Rabbinical school, “Is not this the carpenter, the son of Mary, and brother of James and Joses and Judas and Simon? Are not His sisters here with us?" And they took offense at Him.” (Mark 6:3).  God Incarnate (John 1:1-17, Colossians 2:9, Titus 2:13, 2 Peter 1:1) was not able to go to Seminary and instead was sent home to learn carpentry (Greek Tacton, carpentery and stone masonry) from Joseph. 

What do you think of this? The God of the Universe from who all wisdom and knowledge flows (Colossians 2:2-3) didn’t cut it for seminary and Rabbinical school. 

Thoughts? 

That isn't exactly true.  Rabbis didn't get paid for being Rabbis.   They often had to work a trade to provide for themselves.  So the fact that Jesus was a carpenter doesn't mean that He would not have made it in as a rabbinical student.   Jesus was "called" Rabbi and that wasn't for no reason.   Jesus was a Galilean Rabbi and they were not considered as educated as the Rabbis that attended the academies in the South. 

The greatest rabbinical sage, Hillel, was a woodcutter and his rival, Shammai, was metalworker.  

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  15

4 minutes ago, shiloh357 said:

That isn't exactly true.  Rabbis didn't get paid for being Rabbis.   They often had to work a trade to provide for themselves.  So the fact that Jesus was a carpenter doesn't mean that He would not have made it in as a rabbinical student.   Jesus was "called" Rabbi and that wasn't for no reason.   Jesus was a Galilean Rabbi and they were not considered as educated as the Rabbis that attended the academies in the South. 

The greatest rabbinical sage, Hillel, was a woodcutter and his rival, Shammai, was metalworker.  

Fascinating insight Shiloh. Thanks for adding this into the discussion. :) 

Jesus did get ordained by John the Baptist who came from both Cohen and Aaronic priesthood. Hence why Jesus said, “Jesus replied, “Let it be so now; it is proper for us to do this to fulfill all righteousness.” Then John consented.” (Matthew 3:15). Even though Jesus was and is God who created the Jews (John 1:1-3, Colossians 1:16) He did decide to let John the Baptist baptize him. 

Guest shiloh357
1 minute ago, Fidei Defensor said:

Fascinating insight Shiloh. Thanks for adding this into the discussion. :) 

Jesus did get ordained by John the Baptist who came from both Cohen and Aaronic priesthood. Hence why Jesus said, “Jesus replied, “Let it be so now; it is proper for us to do this to fulfill all righteousness.” Then John consented.” (Matthew 3:15). Even though Jesus was and is God who created the Jews (John 1:1-3, Colossians 1:16) He did decide to let John the Baptist baptize him. 

I don't think we can call that an ordination...   Jesus was baptized in order to identify with us as our representative before God.