• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,113
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/17/1975

Matthew 5:31-32  (NKJV)

“Furthermore it has been said, ‘Whoever divorces his wife, let him give her a certificate of divorce.’  But I say to you that whoever divorces his wife for any reason except [a]sexual immorality causes her to commit adultery, and whoever marries a woman who is divorced commits adultery.

I've been praying and seeking God on the issue of Divorce and remarriage and realized a few things I would like some feedback on. I will try to keep this as short as possible but don't know if I can.

Context: Jesus is speaking to Jews about the Law of Moses. If he said anything that contradicted the Law or nullified it, then Jesus would have been stoned to death, Because Jesus was viewed as a man, not as God. Jesus was clarifying how divorce should have been viewed in light of all of scripture. It was impossible for him to nullify divorce completely and not get stoned.

Notes: The following things are a list of things NOT apart of a conversation about divorce in most conditions under the Law of Moses. Reasons will be given as to why. 

Adultery: was not a divorce conversation but a death penalty conversation. 
Pre-marital sex: Death Penalty conversation
Incest: Death penalty conversation
Prostitution: Death penalty conversation

When the things above happened in the days of the bible people didn't go looking for a divorce. They picked up stones to execute the Death penalty GOD required for committing these sins. These sins are so bad in the eyes of GOD that when they happened it not only ended the marriage but the life of the persons who committed the sin. When people of this day thought of divorce the things above were not reasons or even in there thinking when it comes to divorce because they already had a consequence that allowed them to remarry, the death penalty.

Divorce: Almost every possible meaning of fornication already had a consequence under the Law of Moses as you can see above, and it wasn't divorce but the Death penalty. God holds Marriage to be sacred but people were getting divorced for any all reasons the could. Jesus clarifies that if someone wants to get a divorce then the only way it should be allowed is if they committed a sexual sin worthy of death. Because under the law if any of these sins were committed they should be executed anyway. If mercy was shown and they were not executed then divorce was still permissible. 

Summary: the only allowable reason for divorce and remarriage is if one of the spouses commit a sin worthy of death under the law of Moses.

I would enjoy hearing some feedback on this. Thank you for your time.

Joseph

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  41
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  686
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  0

9 hours ago, firestormx said:

It was impossible for him to nullify divorce completely and not get stoned.

Matthew chapter 19 verse 8

Jesus replied, "Moses permitted you to divorce your wives because your hearts were hard. But it was not this way from the beginning.

I believe we shouldn't divorce, since as Christians we're not living for this life.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member

31 minutes ago, john1 said:

Jesus replied, "Moses permitted you to divorce your wives because your hearts were hard. But it was not this way from the beginning.

I believe we shouldn't divorce, since as Christians we're not living for this life.

All the Law was given by Moses. That's why it's called the Law of Moses. It doesn't change who the Author of the Law was which is God. The punishment under the Law for teaching falsely or lies in the name of God was Death. If Jesus was teaching that all the teaching about Divorce was null and void then he would have been called a false teacher and stoned to death. 

43 minutes ago, firestormx said:

Deuteronomy chapter 24 verse 1

If a man marries a woman who becomes displeasing to him because he finds something indecent about her, and he writes her a certificate of divorce, gives it to her and sends her from his house,

Look Jesus is teaching something other than what Moses is.

13 minutes ago, john1 said:

Deuteronomy chapter 24 verse 1

If a man marries a woman who becomes displeasing to him because he finds something indecent about her, and he writes her a certificate of divorce, gives it to her and sends her from his house,

Look Jesus is teaching something other than what Moses is.

No, he is not. The phrase above " displeasing to him " comes from a Hebrew word that means uncleanness. It's not saying that if he just randomly decides she displeased him, then he can divorce her but if she becomes unclean in the eyes of the Law.

7 minutes ago, firestormx said:

No, he is not. The phrase above " displeasing to him " comes from a Hebrew word that means uncleanness. It's not saying that if he just randomly decides she displeased him, then he can divorce her but if she becomes unclean in the eyes of the Law.

Then what's Jesus talking about?  Are you saying Moses never permitted divorce, and Jesus doesn't know what he's talking about.

20 minutes ago, john1 said:

Then what's Jesus talking about?  Are you saying Moses never permitted divorce, and Jesus doesn't know what he's talking about.

The Teachers of the Law used the same interpretation of that verse that you posted, so they could divorce for any reason they wanted to. But that is not what it says. It is talking about if one of the marriage partners become unclean in the eyes of God under the law, then they can divorce. Only if uncleanness is found, divorce is allowed. But it was being perverted to allow for any reason. Jesus was exposing their application of that verse for the lie it was and was bring it back to how it was intended all along. That Divorce was permitted only when Uncleanness had been found by God's standard in his Holy word. 

Going to bed, but if you respond tonight, I will happily respond tomorrow after I get up. God bless you.

Edited by firestormx

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.89
  • Days Won:  5

Didnt it get to the point that all that the husband had to do was say “ I divorce you” three times and he was divorced?

It all makes me glad we are no longer under Law

4 hours ago, Blood Bought 1953 said:

Didnt it get to the point that all that the husband had to do was say “ I divorce you” three times and he was divorced?

It all makes me glad we are no longer under Law

never heard that one. but I did read that they would divorce over the wife putting to much salt in the food over and over.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.89
  • Days Won:  5

I could understand too much arsenic, but too much salt? Lol