nothing but the blood of Jesus. 
Naught of good that I have done: 
nothing but the blood of Jesus. [Refrain]

4 This is all my hope and peace: 
nothing but the blood of Jesus. 
This is all my righteousness: 
nothing but the blood of Jesus. [Refrain]”

-United Methodist Hymnal, 1989

Having been raised in a Methodist Church I can attest to the fact that they sing it but they don’t believe it.Like most churches.I heard a preacher read from a survey that had been done.It revealed 50% of Methodists did not believe in the Resurrection .Not trying to pick on Methodists.....other churches fared worse.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  32
  • Topic Count:  476
  • Topics Per Day:  0.17
  • Content Count:  6,559
  • Content Per Day:  2.28
  • Days Won:  9

Just now, Fidei Defensor said:

Indeed, but it is walking out holiness through Him and in Hon and it is His holiness not ours: “For God's will was for us to be made holy by the sacrifice of the body of Jesus Christ, once for all time.” (Hebrews 10:10), and “We who have been made holy by Jesus, now have the same Father he has. That is why Jesus is not ashamed to call us his brothers.” (Hebrews 2: TLB), and “God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.” (2 Corinthians 5:21). We live Holy Through Him who is Holy because He is in us and we are in Him, “anyone who confesses Jesus as Son of God, God lives in them and they live in God.” So the holiness is not ours, it manifests through us because Christ is in us (Colossians 1:27) and is Holy for us; Christ showing himself to others through us: “I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.” (Galatians 2:20). :) 

Our holiness is from him. Without christ we can do nothing. Christ said this. But we also have a part. We must obey his words to bear fruit. Only a born again saved person will obey him.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  15

6 minutes ago, Blood Bought 1953 said:

Having been raised in a Methodist Church I can attest to the fact that they sing it but they don’t believe it.Like most churches.I heard a preacher read from a survey that had been done.It revealed 50% of Methodists did not believe in the Resurrection .Not trying to pick on Methodists.....other churches fared worse.

It’s still a great Hymn. John Wesley did not intend to make Methodist Church, it was a college club that had hours of prayer like none, sext, vespers. Wesley then after meeting the Moravians got Born Again and Spirit Filled, and lead the First Great Awakening. 

Edited by Fidei Defensor

4 minutes ago, Wayne222 said:

Our holiness is from him. Without christ we can do nothing. Christ said this. But we also have a part. We must obey his words to bear fruit. Only a born again saved person will obey him.

Obedience is satisfied: “ If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved.” (Romans 10:9-10)

Obedience is satisfied: “ If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved.” (Romans 10:9-10)

If you love me you will keep my commandments. We are justified by his blood only for sin. To bear fruit we must keep his commandments.  If we trust in him we will trust his words. Works will never justified us. The works we do come from faith in Him and not us.

16 minutes ago, Wayne222 said:

If you love me you will keep my commandments. We are justified by his blood only for sin. To bear fruit we must keep his commandments.  If we trust in him we will trust his words. Works will never justified us. The works we do come from faith in Him and not us.

But you keep the commands by loving God and others, “Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’[a] 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’[b]40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.” (Matthew 22:36-41)

And we can only love because He first loves us, “We love because he first loved us,” (1 John 4:19), and when we were enemies of God he loved us, “You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly. Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous person, though for a good person someone might possibly dare to die. But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.  Since we have now been justified by his blood, how much more shall we be saved from God’s wrath through him! 10 For if, while we were God’s enemies, we were reconciled to him through the death of his Son, how much more, having been reconciled, shall we be saved through his life! 11 Not only is this so, but we also boast in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received reconciliation.” (Romans 5:6-11). 

We can only obey God’s commands because He lives in us (Colossians 1:27, 1 Corinthians 3:16) and we live in God, “anyone who confesses Jesus is Son of God, God loves in them and they live in God.” (1 John 4:15). We can only obey once God is in us which is achieved:

“You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly. Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous person, though for a good person someone might possibly dare to die. But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.Since we have now been justified by his blood, how much more shall we be saved from God’s wrath through him! 10 For if, while we were God’s enemies, we were reconciled to him through the death of his Son, how much more, having been reconciled, shall we be saved through his life! 11 Not only is this so, but we also boast in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received reconciliation.” (Romans 10:9-10). It is God being Holy in us because only He is Holy and only He can help us obey His own commands by doing them in us and teaching us from within in a relationship with Him. You cannot do this from the outside, “For if you are trying to make yourselves right with God by keeping the law, you have been cut off from Christ! You have fallen away from God's grace,” (Galatians 5:4), and “I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing!” (Galatians 2:21). 

Edited by Fidei Defensor

But you keep the commands by loving God and others, “Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’[a] 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’[b]40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.” (Matthew 22:36-41)

And we can only love because He first loves us, “We love because he first loved us,” (1 John 4:19), and when we were enemies of God he loved us, “You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly. Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous person, though for a good person someone might possibly dare to die. But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.  Since we have now been justified by his blood, how much more shall we be saved from God’s wrath through him! 10 For if, while we were God’s enemies, we were reconciled to him through the death of his Son, how much more, having been reconciled, shall we be saved through his life! 11 Not only is this so, but we also boast in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received reconciliation.” (Romans 5:6-11). 

We can only obey God’s commands because He lives in us (Colossians 1:27, 1 Corinthians 3:16) and we live in God, “anyone who confesses Jesus is Son of God, God loves in them and they live in God.” (1 John 4:15). We can only obey once God is in us which is achieved, “

You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly. Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous person, though for a good person someone might possibly dare to die. But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

Since we have now been justified by his blood, how much more shall we be saved from God’s wrath through him! 10 For if, while we were God’s enemies, we were reconciled to him through the death of his Son, how much more, having been reconciled, shall we be saved through his life! 11 Not only is this so, but we also boast in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received reconciliation.” (Romans 10:9-10). It is Hod being Holy in us because only He is Holy and only He can help us obey His own commands by doing them in us and teaching us from within in a relationship with Him. You cannot do this from the outside, “For if you are trying to make yourselves right with God by keeping the law, you have been cut off from Christ! You have fallen away from God's grace,” (Galatians 5:4), and “I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing!” (Galatians 2:21). 

We please God by our good works. Not to be justified. 

2 hours ago, Wayne222 said:

We please God by our good works. Not to be justified. 

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” Matthew 11:25-30). 

In contrast the Pharisees had demands that destroyed people, “They crush people with unbearable religious demands and never lift a finger to ease the burden.” (Matthew 23:4). 

God is already pleased with us, “But now he has reconciled you by Christ's physical body through death to present you holy in his sight, without blemish and free from accusation--,” (Colossians 1:22). 

My fearwith works is people begin to view God as task master and overlord who asks for homage, rather than a loving God who is love (1 John 4:8). I have seen the path of good works shipwreck people, “I am afraid, however, that just as Eve was deceived by the serpent’s cunning, your minds may be led astray from your simple and pure devotion to Christ.” (2 Corinthians 11:3), and “These have indeed an appearance of wisdom in promoting self-made religion and asceticism and severity to the body, but they are of no value in stopping the indulgence of the flesh.” (Colossians 2:23). 

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” Matthew 11:25-30). 

In contrast the Pharisees had demands that destroyed people, “They crush people with unbearable religious demands and never lift a finger to ease the burden.” (Matthew 23:4). 

God is already pleased with us, “But now he has reconciled you by Christ's physical body through death to present you holy in his sight, without blemish and free from accusation--,” (Colossians 1:22). 

My fearwith works is people begin to view God as task master and overlord who asks for homage, rather than a loving God who is love (1 John 4:8). I have seen the path of good works shipwreck people, “I am afraid, however, that just as Eve was deceived by the serpent’s cunning, your minds may be led astray from your simple and pure devotion to Christ.” (2 Corinthians 11:3), and “These have indeed an appearance of wisdom in promoting self-made religion and asceticism and severity to the body, but they are of no value in stopping the indulgence of the flesh.” (Colossians 2:23). 

The Bible says to please God by doing good things. It's not to justify yourself. You cannot justify oneself by works. But Paul said we should be careful to maintain good works. 

1 minute ago, Wayne222 said:

The Bible says to please God by doing good things. It's not to justify yourself. You cannot justify oneself by works. But Paul said we should be careful to maintain good works. 

The good works come out of God in you (Galatians 2:20-1 John 4:15). It’s a relationship (ginosko, epignosko) and from that relationship with Jesus Christ Fruit is borne; but Jesus make it clear you cannot bear fruit except through Him, I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful. You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you. Remain in me, as I also remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.” (John 15:1-5). 

• This is Worthy 1