• Topic Count:  41
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  686
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  0

12 minutes ago, Fidei Defensor said:

Jesus alone saves and faith in Him counts is justified

James chapter 2 verse 18

But someone will say, "You have faith; I have deeds." Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by my deeds.
Ephesians chapter 2 verse 10

For we are God's handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7,776
  • Content Per Day:  2.42
  • Days Won:  3

3 minutes ago, john1 said:

James chapter 2 verse 18

But someone will say, "You have faith; I have deeds." Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by my deeds.

For we are God's handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.

We have to keep in mind the Jewish coulture who was a kind coulture to the poor. 

They would not harvest everything and would leave something for the who follow the harvesters. 

Also they were giving alms to unfortunate, and stranger . 

And to the hungry offer help. 

Even help the blind and the diformed even thought they believed that they were punish by God because of the sins of their fathers or theirs. 

Some of them in their quest to leave a holy life they pay to much to themselfs , keeping to the selfs and for other reasons they did not get involved, and became hard to the needy. 

But they still had grate faith.

Thsts the problem James had to address. 

Maybe they fast and pray for forty days for their reasons and did not get involved. 

Well James said enouph is enouph. 

Get out of those kinds o f seeking holiness and get involved . the rest are easily understood. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Topic Count:  165
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  1.58
  • Days Won:  15

49 minutes ago, Yowm said:

Though a justified person will have good works, still he is not justified IN GOD'S SIGHT by those deeds.

Amen. Good works is the fruit of God living in us (1 John 4:15) and having transformed us (regenerating us) [Romans 12:2). However, we are justified and expiated of all our transgression by Cheist’s Work on the cross alone. In the Greek James is actually talking about the fruit of grace not a gospel of works; His call is to let grace and faith manifest to the world as witness of the Gospel. 

Thansk for contributing YOWM. 

• Loved it! 1

1 minute ago, Yowm said:

Yes and James is also talking about being justified before men ("show me"), not God.

Indeed. He even gets into if you say you’ll pray for a bother and not actually help them with their need, “what kind of faith is that?” So you are correct, it is a witness to men on behalf of the faith. I am most grieved and dismayed when the Book of James is erroneously used to defend salvation by works: 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 1

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.92
  • Days Won:  5

The first verse of James reveals to whom he was speaking— the scattered 12 tribes of Israel.....saved Jews who were sitting on their hands, quite content to let the time pass,believing THE END was coming any day .James was only doing the same thing that Paul would have done had he been in the same situation— exhorting them to do the good works they had been saved to do. “ Saved UNTO GOOD WORKS” was His he put it. Not to get saved, but because they were saved they were to get off their duffs and perform the only commandment we are under today .......LOVE ONE ANOTHER—- obey that and you have fulfilled ALL the commandments in the O.T. Doing that will not save you but God is VERY interested to see you do what He died for you to do.There is more to salvation than just making it to Heaven .

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  194
  • Content Per Day:  0.09

5 hours ago, john1 said:

James chapter 2 verse 18

Yes, that helps to demonstrate faith, but not for salvation, because if anything other than Jesus' sacrifice can cleanse our sins and be justified with God, then Jesus died in vain.  But faith without works is dead (James 2:26) because people can't go about claiming they have faith without backing it up by actions, which can be as simple as sincerely praying to Him, asking for His help, or entrusting our troubles to Him, especially in difficult situations.

• Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, John_Leung said:

Yes, that helps to demonstrate faith, but not for salvation, because if anything other than Jesus' sacrifice can cleanse our sins and be justified with God, then Jesus died in vain.  But faith without works is dead (James 2:26) because people can't go about claiming they have faith without backing it up by actions, which can be as simple as sincerely praying to Him, asking for His help, or entrusting our troubles to Him, especially in difficult situations.

Well said, “I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ died in vain” (Galatians 2:21), “For if you are trying to make yourselves right with God by keeping the law, you have been cut off from Christ! You have fallen away from God's grace,” (Galtians 5:4), and, “Listen! I, Paul, tell you this: If you are counting on circumcision to make you right with God, then Christ will be of no benefit to you.” (Galatians 5:2). 

The Apostle also adds that those who would nullify the grace of God are enemies of the cross of Christ, “For as I have often told you before, and now declare even with tears: Many live as enemies of the cross of Christ.” (Phillipians 3:18), and, “As for me, may I never boast about anything except the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ. Because of that cross, my interest in this world has been crucified, and the world's interest in me has also died.” (Galatians 6:14). 

Edited by Fidei Defensor
  • Thumbs Up 3

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  33
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

There is a fountain filled with blood

Drawn from Emmanuel's veins;

And sinners, plunged beneath that flood,

Lose all their guilty stains:

Lose all their guilty stains,

Lose all their guilty stains;

And sinners, plunged beneath that flood,

Lose all their guilty stains.

---

E'er since, by faith, I saw the stream

Thy flowing wounds supply,

Redeeming love has been my theme,

And shall be till I die:

And shall be till I die,

And shall be till I die;

Redeeming love has been my theme,

And shall be till I die.

---

from Hymn

"There is a Fountain Filled with Blood."

- one of my favorite hymns.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Loved it! 1

• Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

I really can't tell what you folks are believing and doing. Here's the problem. A person says he accepts Jesus so he's told it's done, he's going to heaven and he has nothing to worry about. This is what was being taught 40 yrs ago when I was saved. Most people believed they didn't even have to try and stop sins because they're already forgiven. Many years later I heard of one married man who continued to cheat on his wife because he didn't believe those sins would effect him in any way. I always knew this idea was wrong because I read the Bible early on. Now I study it and I still see this same principle all over the Bible. I know I would have sinned less if other Christians agreed with me but I usually stood alone and I often doubted myself. I don't doubt this conclusion anymore. We don't get saved based on giving up sins, if that were the case no one would be saved. But if a person really is saved he should want to give up his sins. It's hard, it's a fight, you have to fight the influence of the world, the devil, and your own desires. It's sad when we have to fight other people who are supposed to be saved. All the apostles told the people to stop sinning. Paul warned in 1 Cor ch 3 of dastardly consequences if you don't stop. Jesus made it sound like you can even lose your salvation by continuing to live a life of sin. It's unfortunate that the Bible doesn't make it blatantly clear as to what will happen to a saved person who continues to live a life of sins. The Bible takes the position this won't happen and that a warning is sufficient for a saved person.