turtletwo

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  1,192
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  7,264
  • Content Per Day:  1.19
  • Days Won:  194

:) Hi. I wondered how many out there enjoy scripture songs and who they listen to. I'm always happy to learn of more. Any suggestions?

I think this is an excellent type of Christian music as it is another way to meditate on the scriptures. A catchy tune can sometimes be helpful in words sticking as well. And you can't top the lyrics :teeth_smile:... being God Himself wrote them.

Edited by turtletwo
added tags
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Loved it! 2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  951
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,565
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Hi, You are going to have to help me if I am to understand. Scripture Songs?  Reading through the Bible word by word to music? Hymns with some scripture quotes? Hymns with  Bible precepts? The Bible Psalms with modern music? The Hymns of Isaac Watts, John Wesley? or even the wonderful praise  in the southern Gospel of the Gaithers with lyrics by  Gloria Gaither?

I just don't know what  Scripture Song is. Obviously I do become moved by the writing of Fernando Ortega and find his work to speak of scripture all around. His work brings scripture to my mind.

I do not have much  of a musical talent in me. It takes an extra shove to get me to comprehend when it comes to music. All I do know is I am glad I discovered the old recordings of one I find so enjoyable for the very simple sharing of Holy Spirit driven  thought and praise of Jesus  that was from before my time and at a part of the country far from me too. That is the music of Brother Claude Ely which  can be heard as recorded at tent meetings of praise and worship of Jesus. I can play his original song his version of "Ain't No Grave going To Hold My Body Down", which can be found on You Tube

In his voice and style I can hear some of the very early Elvis, Little Richard, and even Johnny Cash  songs, Johnny who very late in his life evidently recalled  and  covered Claude's work "Ain't No Grave" with his own plaintive style that was all that was left in him just before he passed on.

Anyway, Scripture Songs?

Edited by Neighbor
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  30
  • Topic Count:  266
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  13,200
  • Content Per Day:  3.49
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  10/06/1947

12 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

Hi, You are going to have to help me if I am to understand. Scripture Songs?  Reading through the Bible word by word to music? Hymns with some scripture quotes? Hymns with  Bible precepts? The Bible Psalms with modern music? The Hymns of Isaac Watts, John Wesley? or even the wonderful praise  in the southern Gospel of the Gaithers with lyrics by  Gloria Gaither?

I just don't know what  Scripture Song is. Obviously I do become moved by the writing of Fernando Ortega and find his work to speak of scripture all around. His work brings scripture to my mind.

I do not have much  of a musical talent in me. It takes an extra shove to get me to comprehend when it comes to music. All I do know is I am glad I discovered the old recordings of one I find so enjoyable for the very simple sharing of Holy Spirit driven  thought and praise of Jesus  that was from before my time and at a part of the country far from me too. That is the music of Brother Claude Ely which  can be heard as recorded at tent meetings of praise and worship of Jesus. I can play his original song his version of "Ain't No Grave going To Hold My Body Down", which can be found on You Tube

In his voice and style I can hear some of the very early Elvis, Little Richard, and even Johnny Cash  songs, Johnny who very late in his life evidently recalled  and  covered Claude's work "Ain't No Grave" with his own plaintive style that was all that was left in him just before he passed on.

Anyway, Scripture Songs?

Hi Neighbor,

Being this side of the equator, down under we are more conversant with Scripture (in) song. I first learnt of them when I went to Bible College in New Zealand in the `80`s. Two books were published and they are called `Scripture in Song part 1 and the other part 2. 

We are on holidays at the moment so don`t have them at my finger tips. Will try and recall some.

`Create in me a clean heart, O God,

And renew a right spirit within me,

Cast me not away from your presence O Lord,

And take not your Holy Spirit from me,

Restore unto me the joy of your salvation,

And renew a right spirit within me.`    (Ps. 51: 10)

regards, Marilyn.

• Thumbs Up 4

Hi,  "on holidays" love it.  Where does one holiday when down under and in  such a foreign to my body clock time zone?

So are you saying it is adding back some music to replace the lost scores to the Book of Psalms?

Somehow I see in my mind's eye those being sung in a march beat or as a work gang song. I see small villages streaming into a ever larger marching migration  of thousands journeying to one place to meet the requirement of religious command and civil decree, going to Jerusalem for census, for feast rites. the people, men with their wives and children "singing/reciting/canting" the Psalms as a way of keeping a pace to their destination and a common spirit of praise  to God in serious trembling and fear of the sovereignty  of awesome God.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,058
  • Content Per Day:  0.41
  • Days Won:  5

https://youtu.be/H5ZRHQ1OQbk
https://youtu.be/ruAll_8tXi8

Hello @turtletwo,

These little songs introduce the Word of God to children.

Singing the Word itself is better than singing a hymn that is not reflective of the truth, though there are many that are wonderful.

* I heard that many hymns were written for the spinners and weavers, many working from home, who would sing along to the rhythm of the wheel and shuttle, to keep their minds on things above.

* There was a song I heard in my early adult life, where daily tasks were done to the glory of God, such as,

'Washing the dishes Lord,
washing the dishes
Living for your glory
washing the dishes

* Thereby every action was done in the name of the Lord and for His glory.

‘Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; 
teaching and admonishing one another 
in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, 
singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord. 
And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, 
do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, 
giving thanks to God and the Father by Him.’

(Col 3:16-17)  

* However, when singing the Word itself, it must be Truth that is relative, which, with respect Psalm 51:10, quoted earlier, is not.  David could sing, '... take not Thy Holy Spirit from me', for the Holy Spirit had been given to him for a specific purpose and could be taken away, as it had from Saul before him.  That is not so for you and I who believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, for the Holy Spirit will never be taken from us, in Christ Jesus: so to sing it would be a denial of that wonderful truth.

Praise God!

In Christ Jesus

Chris

Edited by Christine
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Loved it! 1

I suspect few in America holiday, sounds Canadian or continental European, most here vacation, if they take  break at all.  Some Christians "retreat", but it isn't either vacation nor I suspect holidaying.

Holidays? Okay!

Obviously I am just having early morning here fun. Love the idea, having "on holidays".

Does one have to also work in order to have  on holidays? I'm now i guess retired can I go be on holidays?

Are we, up over as compared to your down under? Just a rhetorical pondering-

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, Christine said:

* However, when singing the Word itself, it must be Truth that is relative, which, with respect Psalm 51:10 is not.  David could sing, '... take not Thy Holy Spirit from me', for the Holy Spirit had been given to him for a specific purpose and could be taken away, as it had from Saul before him.  That is not so for you and I who believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, for the Holy Spirit will never be taken from us, in Christ Jesus.

Hi, Interesting, thanks! hmm, I guess on the basis used  for not being able to sing Psalm 51 I can't sing  "In the Garden either", for I am not Mary Magdalene having the experience of walking and talking with Jesus. I am  enabled by the Holy Spirit instead, Jesus being away leaving me  the Comforter till He returns.-

I would think I can sing Psalm 51 knowing what it represents, same as I can indeed sing "In The Garden" knowing what it is picturing  though I can't be in that Garden having that one time unique experience "none other has ever had". -  Well that presumes I can sing at all, I can't hardly hold a tune nor rhythm. Sure appreciate those that can!

Thanks for sharing. How does one select a tune for the Psalms? ???

Edited by Neighbor
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Neighbor said:

Anyway, Scripture Songs?

Scripture songs are when singers choose verses from the Bible and set them to music. Psalms are the most common because as you know, they were originally songs. 

But it can be done with other books of the Old Testament and also the New Testament. Lord willing, I will be adding more info to this thread.:) So please check back from time to time. 

Before I close, I wanted to tell you of a lady who does some songs (mostly psalms.) You can find her on YouTube by typing in "scripture songs Esther Mui full list.' Let me know what you think, okay?

P.S.  Esther says of her music "dedicated to worshiping YHWH with songs written straight out of the Bible. We, as a family, pray these songs will bless you, and help you hide God's Word in your hearts."

Psalm 119:11 "Your word I have hidden in my heart, That I might not sin against You."

43 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

How does one select a tune for the Psalms? ???

I would say through prayer and seeking His direction (trusting He will lead you.) There is no accurate way to duplicate the way it was back then. David played the harp, so we know that could've been used by him in singing the Psalms to the Lord. However, it seems God has a wide variety of tastes in musical instruments, as shown in the following verses:

"Praise him with the sounding of the trumpet, praise him with the harp and lyre, praise him with timbrel and dancing, praise him with the strings and pipe, praise him with the clash of cymbals, praise him with resounding cymbals." psalm 150:3-5

"make music to the LORD with the harp, with the harp and the sound of singing, with trumpets and the blast of the ram’s horn— shout for joy before the LORD, the King."psalm 98:5-6

"The trumpeters and musicians joined in unison to give praise and thanks to the LORD. Accompanied by trumpets, cymbals and other instruments, the singers raised their voices in praise to the LORD and sang: “He is good; his love endures forever.” 1 Chronicles 5:13

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, Marilyn C said:

Hi Neighbor,

Being this side of the equator, down under we are more conversant with Scripture (in) song. I first learnt of them when I went to Bible College in New Zealand in the `80`s. Two books were published and they are called `Scripture in Song part 1 and the other part 2. 

We are on holidays at the moment so don`t have them at my finger tips. Will try and recall some.

`Create in me a clean heart, O God,

And renew a right spirit within me,

Cast me not away from your presence O Lord,

And take not your Holy Spirit from me,

Restore unto me the joy of your salvation,

And renew a right spirit within me.`    (Ps. 51: 10)

regards, Marilyn.

:) Thanks for sharing. It was nice of you to take the time to participate in my thread even though you are on holiday.

I love psalm 51. Such a heartfelt prayer of repentance. I know a couple singers I greatly respect who have done versions of this psalm.

Those books called Scripture in Song part 1 and the other part 2 sound interesting! 

I was wondering if you are aware of the Australian band called Sons of Korah? If not, I will posting a brief description of them shortly. They sing to the psalms.

Edited by turtletwo
added to it
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,058
  • Content Per Day:  0.41
  • Days Won:  5

1 hour ago, Neighbor said:

Hi, Interesting, thanks! hmm, I guess on the basis used  for not being able to sing Psalm 51 I can't sing  "In the Garden either", for I am not Mary Magdalene having the experience of walking and talking with Jesus. I am  enabled by the Holy Spirit instead, Jesus being away leaving me  the Comforter till He returns.-

I would think I can sing Psalm 51 knowing what it represents, same as I can indeed sing "In The Garden" knowing what it is picturing  though I can't be in that Garden having that one time unique experience "none other has ever had". -  Well that presumes I can sing at all, I can't hardly hold a tune nor rhythm. Sure appreciate those that can!

Thanks for sharing. How does one select a tune for the Psalms? ???

Hello Neighbor,

Why would we want to sing the words, 'take not Thy Holy Spirit from me', if it is known that God would never do that anyway, to one who is 'in Christ'? For the words of David were addressed to God directly, it was a prayer, following the admonition of Nathan the prophet to him regarding Bathsheba. We can identify with much that is in that psalm, I agree, for we have all sinned and come short of the glory of God, and have each at some time said similar words in sorrow for sins committed.

Have mercy upon me, O God, 
according to thy lovingkindness: 
according unto the multitude of thy tender mercies 
blot out my transgressions.
Wash me throughly from mine iniquity, 
and cleanse me from my sin.
For I acknowledge my transgressions: 
and my sin is ever before me.’

(Psa 51:1-3)  

In Christ Jesus

Chris

Edited by Christine