Omegaman 3.0

Planned Painting, start to finish!

Hi all! I have in my mind, an image of a seascape/landscape which I want to do. I just ordered the canvas for it, and I made a preliminary (digital) sketch of what it will be like. The sketch is crude, no vivid colors or textures, really little more that a line drawing to help me get the proportions as I want them - as a guide for later when I put it to the canvas.

In my mind, the sky is mostly yellow with some orange (due to a setting sun that is just outside the picture) graduating to blue at the top of the picture. The left center, is a blue/gray ocean, which will be a bit off color, due to that same yellow/orange sky. 

The ocean  starts to get foamy, as it moves in to the shallow, rocky, shoreline. The foam, we would normally perceive as white, will be blueish, from the blue sky overhead. Then to the right of that, is a flat, rocky shore for a bit, until that reaches some eroded dirt cliffs. This dirt, if it were in bright daylight, would appear light tan, well, tan might not be the right name, a hue that is yellower than tan, but, it is going to be oranger/redder in the painting, again due the the light of the setting sun.

The foreground, is going to be green bushes with yellow flowers. I am not telling you this to help you picture it - most likely how you picture my description, is not like the image in my mind. I am writing this to help me remember what is in my mind, when it comes time to make the painting.

I know very little about painting, not having had instruction or read books or anything, so I would not let this really serve as an instructional thread. It will however, let you get a glimpse of how I do things, right or wrong, and achieve a certain result.

I paint for a number of reasons, and part of the is just the satisfaction of doing something creative. For me, creativity seems a natural (natural in the sense of expected) reflection of being made in the image of the Creator. Since God is the Creator, would it not be expected that those He made in His images, would also have creative tendencies?

Those might be expressed in art, like I am attempting, or writing, or woodworking (Jesus was a carpenter) or cooking, or any number of ways.

To me then, it is also and act of worship. In a painting, not only do I get to imitate my Father, I get to imitate His creation, as I see it revealed in nature. It is the beauty of His artistry, that i strive to appreciate and mimic in a small way, on canvas. Keeping this in mind, helps me to do my best, and try to not settle for merely good enough.

Anyway, as usually, I am too wordy and not getting to the point, so here is step one, the initial sketch of the concept:

pvflowerssunset792.jpg.b59ccedbb0e154207891036f72903d2b.jpg

Artist's Lounge

• Loved it! 1

Got my canvas today, so I hope to start in earnest next week. Isn't Monday, Labor Day (in the U.S)? Maybe I will start painting then, seems like a much more worth while thing to do that eat hot dogs, or whatever iit is that people do on such holidays.

For now, I have started with my outlines. Really, this is not much different than a coloring book:

pvflowers01.jpg.07d3f9c775e3d90f472ed6655c9b23ea.jpg

pvflowers02.jpg.e00a60c70f40009d065f7ab33ac3d136.jpg

Time spent on this step, about 5 minutes.

• Thumbs Up 1

Note to self: Use pencil, pen, Sharpie, not Crayola markers, if you don't want it to bleed near diluted acrylic paint!

Starting to lay down some background undercolow, will help ma gain a sense of what the painting will look and feel like, before I start to lay down the painting details. As this progresses, it will also help me to choose colors, so that the overall  color temperature of the painting will have gradual shifts in color and things in the scene we'll feel like they go together. Sorry if this does not say a lot about anything, I am not a real artist, so I lack knowledge of jargon to describe what I mean, I hope it makes sense.

The bottom line I guess is, that I am trying for some realism in the colors, so that they do not appear cartoonish. That is one reason why I do acrylics, I don't think I could pull it of with water colors - need to be able to do layers to correct mistakes. By the way, if you are a water color artist, and good at it, and do it for a living, you are probably way underpaid!

pvflowers03.jpg.de66ed3bb6fdcbde1528b857a71b92f9.jpg

Previous step, 5 minutes, this step, 20.5 minute, total so far (not counting setting up easel and ordering materials, etc.), 25.5 minutes.

Why time it? So I have a better idea, what to charge if/when I sell it for charity, without ripping myself off too badly. I made an estimator, that I use to help me quote prices for consignment, and to help me price paintings that I have already made. This will help me to make that more accurate.

• Thumbs Up 1

Another 15 minues - seems too long, but it is what it is:

pvflowers04.jpg.d2291e5dcc3eefd43a9c323b476f75dc.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Okay, what is going on here. If you are like me, you would be wondering: "Why did he paint the ocean to look more like dirt?" It is a fair question, and maybe I am wrong to do this. As I say, I am not a real artist, at least not in the sense that I have any real clue what I am doing. I try to reason my way through a painting, I do not usually do what seems right or feels right, because when I do that the painting does not come out right. I try to think my way through it rationally. That reminded me of something, let me find a screen shot of an online test I took once, for what it is worth, be right back . . . 

Okay, back:

459795388_brainside(2).gif.33919bcefb4769330b9da5b2957ce7b8.gif

As you can see, if this test result is accurate, if makes sense for me to approach art the way I do, because it suits the way I am wired better. I am weak in the artistic department, not inclined toward art, creativity, instinct, etc. I am much more science and analytical minded. With that, let me show you the latest addition to the painting, and attempt to explain what I am thinking.

pvflowers05.jpg.83efb8f771c1b4b23c283da8e2e65832.jpg

I am thinking, that the mind interprets what the eyes see. Let me explain that with an example, that may or may not be true. If you were to enter a dark room, you would turn on the light. Suppose that the light bulb was green. All the light that is in the room is green, and the objects in the room, reflect back that green light. If the walls were white, they would reflect back green. Any black objects in the room, would still be black since they absorb light of all colors. Different things there, like red, blue, and yellow, will each reflect back varying shades of green light. Yellows would appear brighter, and reds and blues will be very dark. In some part of your brain, without any conscious thought on your part. your mind is making an assumption that most likely, not everything in that room is green. It then goes about, making best guesses about what colors the things in the room might be.

These guesses are an interpretation, and you will be "seeing" that room in terms of that interpretation. You will probably be able to (more or less) correctly identify the colors of various objects there. They might not be perfectly accurate, but you will see a somewhat color corrected version of that room which at least partially gives you an idea of what the room would look like in more normal lighting.

So, how does this relate to my brown ocean in the painting?

(Not finished, need to step away from the computer for a bit, will be back to finish up soon.)

Okay, sorry about that, I am back. Think about what I said about your brain trying to make sense out of what the eyes see in the case of light that is not white. Here in the painting I am attempting to present, what might normally be a blue or blueish gray ocean, but in the fading light of day. That means that the light sources (the sun and the sky) are presenting colors on the warmer side of the color spectrum. So, the sky is not so blue and the ocean is also not going to be so blue. The light from the sun, is not as white as when it is higher in the sky, it is also less able to make strong blues out of things.

What about the ocean, what color is it really? Fill a glass with sea water, will it look blue? No, it will be pretty much colorless, transparent. When we look at the ocean from a position like that of the viewer of the scene in the painting, we do not see through the water to the bottom. What we see, is a reflection from the glossy surface of the water.

When the ocean is very calm, and the air is windless, the surface will be flat, and reflect much like a mirror. In those conditions, we would see objects across the water (like mountains) reflected upside down on the surface of the water.

In a day with a bit of swell and wave activity and some wind chop, the water will no longer be flat, it will have a million angles distributed across it's surface, much like a piece of aluminum (or aluminium) foil would, if you crumpled it up tightly into a ball, then laid it our flat again.

When the water is like that, it no longer gives us a refection of objects in the distance, if gives us a bunch of reflections from all sorts of angles. What this means is that we are going to see a lot of tiny reflecions, from different angles, that will be from things in the distance, things above in all directions, an even some from behind us.

So, with this in mind, I am thinking that we are going to get some orange and red light from the sky, some whitish light from the sinking sun, some blue from parts of the sky, etc. My guess is that overall, this would be a bit brownish in this scene. There will be some texture added (mostly darkening) that will tell our brains that the water is a little choppy.

My belief is (and we shall see how that works out) that this mostly brown ocean, will be re-interpreted by our brains to perceive the ocean as a bit blue-gray, even if I do not use those colors on that part of the painting. Time will tell. Thanks for putting up with my typical, boring, long-windedness. I am probably done with this thread until I do something else to the painting. That might be tomorrow, but . . .  I lost the memory card to my camera. I know where it is, I just do not know if I can get it back, it is stuck inside something, lol.

This step added 22  minutes to the painting.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

OK, back on track. Managed to paint some, it doesn't look like I did much, but I have about 5 more hours in it, trying to get it right. Looks like the brown ocean theory worked ok, about what I was hoping to accomplish, though I was not confident. I was thinking today about my reluctance to call myself an artist. What I cam up with instead, is that I am "apt" to call myself something else. I am an Acrylic Paint Technician.

Today was a productive day, besides painting, and baked some chicken, did some laundry cleaned a little, and I am most happy, that I was able to retrieve my "lost"memory chip for the camera, and now, I can show you my progress:

pvflowers07.jpg.c7999de69566477db0ed8a5150db964b.jpg

You may have noticed, the painting is outside now. That is because were had a day that was cloudy, not dingy gray skies, but white clouds on a blue sky, blocking the sun - that is my favorite kind of light to paint in. Also, the humidity was high, and that slows the pain from drying, which helps when you want to do some color blending.  This step took me about 5 hours, and 45 minutes. Below is the sky I was painting under:

cloudysky.jpg.48f0cc43794ac7080436a5757b30de0f.jpg

I might just use those clouds as a model in a future painting. They look fairly easy to do!

Total time invested so far, if I have kept track right (not sure) is 430 minutes or about 7 hours+ hours. Thanks for looking!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Brilliant! 1

Latest application of acrylic paint:

pvflowers08.jpg.317976ae09800b32d86ef5ec9298789d.jpg

Another 95 minutes  This is the point where I feel like I am on the home stretch, even though time wise, I am probably not half way done. I might have 40 hours in this by the time I finish. I want to finish because I want to start the next one. I have several unfinished paintings already. That is not good, since usually, the sit unfinished for a long time.

• Thumbs Up 2

Doesn't look like it, but another 2 hours, where does the time go?

pvflowers09.jpg.9761b1982a5dae90f18a522f4d74b7e4.jpg

Hmmm, starting to look too photographic, why bother to paint?

• Thumbs Up 2

Well, has it really been almost 2 weeks since I worked on this? I was thinking about a week. Looking at this painting, well it is not growing one me, and I am discouraged by it, I think I know what I am going to do about what I don't like, but for now, I am moving on to another unfinished painting. That one, I should finish today, and will post a picture here in the makers club.

• Thumbs Up 1