Annette

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  65
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,568
  • Content Per Day:  1.40
  • Days Won:  7

Twice this week,  on different occasions,  I was brought back to Acts 17:23 For as I passed by, and beheld your devotions, I found an altar with this inscription, To The Unknown God. Whom therefore ye ignorantly worship, him declare I unto you.

What has stood out to me is how Paul chose his words carefully to match his audience. 

Having said that, I was reminded to be aware of who I am speaking to and to be aware of what I say. 

I know that many of us get to speak with so many different people.  I wondered if you have any tips you use when talking to others. Or would be willing to share tips others have used. 

Look forward to hearing your responses. 

God bless :)

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  41
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  686
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  0

3 hours ago, Annette said:

I wondered if you have any tips you use when talking to others.

If people know your a Christian their watching you, to see what you do.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,412
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Talk less, listen more. 

Don't talk "Christian Speak"- no one is impressed by it, and few understand it. Those that do are boring as all get out.

Pray as naturally at a restaurant table as as at home giving thanks to God in the name of our Lord Jesus, and then  just enjoy people of all walks of life as they each enter into one's own.

Smile too. Total strangers love a smile. They can hardly not smile in response.

BTW- I'm almost always laughing on the inside, hey it's all funny, least in a Shakespearian manner, ironic, comic turnabouts. And through it all God is sovereign.

. .

. .

. .

. .

Besides it's all going to burn.

Edited by Neighbor
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Loved it! 1

14 hours ago, Yowm said:

I really didn't read about Paul listening all that much. He had the truth,  he  was commissioned to preach it.

Was it not listening a lesson taught to Saul by God on a road  to Damascus?

And did Paul not teach to suffer the demands of those not yet as enlightened regarding the things of the Law in diet, doing so in quiet in peace and submission for the sake of a brother? Did he not describe walking an etra mile with another's load a soldier's i order to share in deed in addition to word the gospel? And to Timothy did he not teach him to be soft/gentle with the older men yet bold in the Gospel?

Just thinking through that one- Yes I think Paul did more than preach it.He timed it, He planned, He was brilliant, and ever learning in his confinements. He had hours upon hours of discomfort on shore and on sea to be quiet, to dictate to write, to be led by the Holy Spirit. So yes I think he did use quiet, thinking  and meditating upon God, as well as prayer,  speaking and doing, all that he did  being done to God's Glory.  Paul became tired, hurt, suffering so, and wanted so deeply to be finished with the hard times to be absent from the suffering flesh. I don't think a talker suffers much, they are too busy uttering to be suffering and considering God. Surely no one considered God more than Paul.

Edited by Neighbor
  • Thumbs Up 2

Just want to share a thought about brevity of statements: Succinct is profound. To be succinct one must contemplate, hold a thought, think, pray, and place it carefully onto the conversation. That requires being ready by studying memorizing and understanding the word of God as enabled by the Holy Spirit. Not just a winging it as moved, but a real work of learning the word having the armor in place at the ready.

Some chatter on, and do have a few things that are great to share, but those words come riding upon their own enthusiasm, fin a multiplicity of words all in a river of rapids, the hearers ears having to ride amongst the rocks and foamy noise to comprehend any of it.

It is better I think, to wait, wait, and wait, till that river of words calms and the conversation stills. Then drop the word of God as given by the Holy Spirit for that very moment, doing that after having made preparation ahead of such time, in prayer and in reading the word for hours on end just, for the coming of a time the word needs to be at the ready, the armor put into use, the word spoken, and acted upon.

Resist the temptation to play hit the buzzer type games of conversation; hit the buzzer be first to speak, hit the buzzer be first again, and so on. Resist, resist, and resist; instead let the noise, the clattering symbols play out. Then hear the Spirit, hear the word that has been studied, thought about and prayed over. See it come to mind in the heart, and mind's eye, only then let it pass on to the tongue.

And if it is not the time, don't speak. Better to have the sense after that gee I could have said, and I should have said this and that too. Than it is to review and reach the conclusion; what on earth did I say that for? - boy was that over the top or what of me?

Some plant, some till, some reap of the harvest. it is not for one's own glory that  the word of God the Bible is shared in voice print and by action. It is for God's Glory that all is done in some orderly fashion.

Edited by Neighbor
Changed the opening sentence as somehow the words I typed changed I guess by spell check and I hadn't caught it. it was so confusing I wrote an entirely new senteence of introduction.
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • This is Worthy 2

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  2

@Neighbor   I rarely give a "worthy" thumbs up to a post.  That last one rated it in my opinion.  Sound spiritual common sense expressed simply and eloquently.  

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Thanks 1