IGNORED

Ask and you shall receive? Psalm 51:10

Guest Desperately_seeking_Abba

I have asked many times, of late usually on my knees in tears, acknowledging my sins and asking for forgiveness, glorifying God and all His creation.

I try to follow the Biblical laws and ask as I ask that Psalm 51:10 be made a part of my life, many times, every day. 

Yet the Spirit doesn't seem willing. I have not received the answer to my question.

This has been going on for quite a while. 

I understand we cannot hope to know Gods mind, and I also know that He has good things planned for us, and that He answers in His own time.

What advice would you give me besides doubling my efforts and to continue being patient (???)?

? All responses welcome and considered valuable ?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  2

Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me.  Ps 51:10 KJV

The gospel (or Good News) has two major parts to it.  The first is that we are forgiven and put into a right relationship with God.   The second part is that we are made a new creation in Christ.  Over time, we grow and change into the person God intends for us to be.  We don't just simply try hard on our own, but we spiritually grow and change.  Galatians 5:22-23 (But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance...) describe the fruit that grows in our life over time.   This fruit that grows (like fruit growing on a tree); these are not commands to try to fulfill by working hard at them.    These things will just naturally grow more and more prevalent in our lives as we abide in Christ.  For example, faith (which is really trust and confidence in God) is not about us trying hard to eliminate doubt, it is about our trust and confidence in God Himself just growing more and more as time goes on.  As we see what He does in our lives and others' lives over weeks, months, and years, we just have more trust and confidence in Him.  Doubt goes away, not because we try to get rid of it, but because it naturally vanishes because our trust and confidence is growing.  In the same way, sin becomes a smaller and smaller part of our lives as we spiritually grow.

My observation is that sins tend to fit into 3 rough categories.  The first is those things we just can just trivially change and stop doing.  As soon was we're aware of something, we just stop doing it.   The second is things that slowly disappear as we grow.  As we spiritually grow and become stronger, there are some things we simply become better at doing (or not doing).  And then the third are things that we are in bondage to in some way and need God's healing and deliverance.  Often, addictions and compulsive behaviors are things that God might need to heal.  For example, someone who has suffered long term abuse as a child may have many things inside that need healing that are causing unhealthy feelings and behaviors.  In those cases, it's not a matter of trying harder to stop; it's a matter of God leading them into some type of healing.

For our part, our first step is to acknowledge to God we cannot be right with Him without His help.  We need forgiveness through Jesus and we need God's Holy Spirit to live within us.  Then our part in this is to walk with God.  Prayer, Bible reading, study, being with other Christians, and things like this are part of how we abide in Christ.  One thing to remember is that we are each unique individuals God has created.  As a new creation in Christ, it is about God transforming and changing you into a unique work of art that reflects His glory.  We are each different.  How we each walk with God will be different.  For some of us, prayer is best done in the morning; others at night; and others during the day.  Some like to pray in a quiet room; others sitting outside;  others while driving to work.  Some people get the most out of Bible reading by focusing on a few verses; others by reading some number of pages per day.  Over time, these things might change depending on our circumstances and how we are doing spiritually.  It is about learning to walk with God as the unique individual He is making us to be.  Over time, we'll see spiritual growth, we'll see our trust and confidence in Him grow, and we'll simply see more fruit appearing in our lives.

In our Christian walk, there will be events of rapid and instantaneous change as God does something; but there will then too be times of gradual growth.  Often, it is easy to get our eyes onto the events, but the times of long term growth are just as important.

• This is Worthy 2

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  194
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  0

Have faith and patience.  He will answer your prayers if they are in His will.  I'm learning that daily, as I've also prayed for things for years and am yet to receive them.  Don't give up!

4 hours ago, Cletus said:

Just because you dont hear nothing dont mean He is unwilling.  Its either yes, no, or wait.  Waiting is the usually the hardest.  I have struggled with certain things for years before he set me free from it.  I cant really say as to why He does it like that.  Maybe its because he wants us to come to that place where we have expended all our ability only to find that we cant, and then when He moves, that He can.  Dont know for certain,  But I want to give you some Hope.  The book says there is no good thing in the flesh.  The book says the only reason we would want to obey is because He makes us want to, therefore the desire to live Holy is not of yourself.  He gave you that desire.  You ARE in good hands, and this plan He has will be brought about.  You are right, its in His time.  Its in His way.  But he has already begun this in you.  Stay the course and you will be delivered.  Ask seek and knock.  when asking dont do it seek it.  when seeking and you turn up not finding... go beat on the door.  So, keep beating on the door and remember how the old woman who was persistent was granted her request. 

God is good. 

Yes, He is good. All the time! Thank you for your wonderful response. 

? 

4 hours ago, GandalfTheWise said:

Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me.  Ps 51:10 KJV

The gospel (or Good News) has two major parts to it.  The first is that we are forgiven and put into a right relationship with God.   The second part is that we are made a new creation in Christ.  Over time, we grow and change into the person God intends for us to be.  We don't just simply try hard on our own, but we spiritually grow and change.  Galatians 5:22-23 (But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance...) describe the fruit that grows in our life over time.   This fruit that grows (like fruit growing on a tree); these are not commands to try to fulfill by working hard at them.    These things will just naturally grow more and more prevalent in our lives as we abide in Christ.  For example, faith (which is really trust and confidence in God) is not about us trying hard to eliminate doubt, it is about our trust and confidence in God Himself just growing more and more as time goes on.  As we see what He does in our lives and others' lives over weeks, months, and years, we just have more trust and confidence in Him.  Doubt goes away, not because we try to get rid of it, but because it naturally vanishes because our trust and confidence is growing.  In the same way, sin becomes a smaller and smaller part of our lives as we spiritually grow.

My observation is that sins tend to fit into 3 rough categories.  The first is those things we just can just trivially change and stop doing.  As soon was we're aware of something, we just stop doing it.   The second is things that slowly disappear as we grow.  As we spiritually grow and become stronger, there are some things we simply become better at doing (or not doing).  And then the third are things that we are in bondage to in some way and need God's healing and deliverance.  Often, addictions and compulsive behaviors are things that God might need to heal.  For example, someone who has suffered long term abuse as a child may have many things inside that need healing that are causing unhealthy feelings and behaviors.  In those cases, it's not a matter of trying harder to stop; it's a matter of God leading them into some type of healing.

For our part, our first step is to acknowledge to God we cannot be right with Him without His help.  We need forgiveness through Jesus and we need God's Holy Spirit to live within us.  Then our part in this is to walk with God.  Prayer, Bible reading, study, being with other Christians, and things like this are part of how we abide in Christ.  One thing to remember is that we are each unique individuals God has created.  As a new creation in Christ, it is about God transforming and changing you into a unique work of art that reflects His glory.  We are each different.  How we each walk with God will be different.  For some of us, prayer is best done in the morning; others at night; and others during the day.  Some like to pray in a quiet room; others sitting outside;  others while driving to work.  Some people get the most out of Bible reading by focusing on a few verses; others by reading some number of pages per day.  Over time, these things might change depending on our circumstances and how we are doing spiritually.  It is about learning to walk with God as the unique individual He is making us to be.  Over time, we'll see spiritual growth, we'll see our trust and confidence in Him grow, and we'll simply see more fruit appearing in our lives.

In our Christian walk, there will be events of rapid and instantaneous change as God does something; but there will then too be times of gradual growth.  Often, it is easy to get our eyes onto the events, but the times of long term growth are just as important.

Thank you for sharing your wisdom and knowledge,  GandalftheWise.  I realise allowing doubt to cloud my faith has the effect of basically blocking my blessings and it pays then to delve deeper into Scriptures and fellowship to overcome.  

Meanwhile, while I address this imbalance, I will focus on being grateful for the small blessings He bestows upon me. 

May the Peace of the Lord Be Always With You. ?✝️

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  790
  • Content Per Day:  0.25

11 hours ago, Desperately_seeking_Abba said:

I have asked many times, of late usually on my knees in tears, acknowledging my sins and asking for forgiveness, glorifying God and all His creation.

I try to follow the Biblical laws and ask as I ask that Psalm 51:10 be made a part of my life, many times, every day. 

Yet the Spirit doesn't seem willing. I have not received the answer to my question.

I understand we cannot hope to know Gods mind, and I also know that He has good things planned for us, and that He answers in His own time.

What advice would you give me besides doubling my efforts and to continue being patient (???)?

God creates a new, clean heart in all His children, beginning from the day we commit ourselves to Christ. But it's a slow process! None of us will stop committing sin altogether, until the day we die, and no amount of praying is going to change that universal rule just for you.

Having said that, we are called to fight against our sinful natures, "putting to death" those things within us that are contrary to God's nature. It isn't easy - as GandalfTheWise has explained, some areas of our lives can be brought under the Spirit's control fairly quickly, but in other areas it's more of a struggle. Your strong desire for holiness is a good sign; don't get frustrated by an apparent lack of progress in the short term.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • This is Worthy 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,157
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

14 hours ago, Desperately_seeking_Abba said:

Much of what I know about my own flesh is that it wants to be in charge and wants to constantly validate itself through sensual means; after all it's all it has ever known... but our flesh is not the means by which we are born again it is of s/Spirit. Everything of flesh demands dominance yet everything of s/Spirit presses toward the sufficiency of God's Word; a sufficiency that is only satisfied in s/Spirit while the flesh demands satisfaction by sensual means and will not be satisfied apart from such.... it is the narrow gate and few that find because the flesh speaks so loudly in this matter! I know by John 1 that the Word of God is everything pertaining to Truth, of Life, and Way and all else must be brought into subjection to that; so much so that even the fact of death looses all sting and Life through emersion into The Scriptures God's voice is s/Spiritually translated to our hearts and minds and we grow to the pleasure of His use of us here and now... we will actually see the validation of ourselves in Scripture and will not seek anything further in fleshy sensual matters that are passing away... sanctification is growth in this matter so that we will trade everything of what we have began in for the promises we have not yet received through His Word! The Life of s/Spirit is foreign to this world and the bodies that we are in and all that are born of s/Spirit should be involved in a warfare of making s/Spiritual substance in our reasoning the only eternal keeping by God into a New Heaven and New Earth where sin has never been nor will ever be considered... welcome to the war make sure always to know it is in s/Spirit that we are... not flesh!

Rom 8:1-17

8 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.
3 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:
4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
5 For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.
6 For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.
7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.
8 So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.
9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.
10 And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.
11 But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.
12 Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh.
13 For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.
14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.
15 For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.
16 The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:
17 And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.
KJV

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Content Per Day:  0.66

17 hours ago, Desperately_seeking_Abba said:

What are you asking grace, sanctification and forgiveness to receive?

If you want eternal salvation, that comes with a one-time act, trust Jesus, not you and your prayer life and patience, to save. Only Jesus can transform you utterly (later) to be ready to live in a utopia.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Content Per Day:  0.66

On 8/28/2018 at 5:21 PM, Desperately_seeking_Abba said:

Any more thoughts on this subject?

On 8/30/2018 at 12:25 AM, Billiards Ball said:

What are you asking grace, sanctification and forgiveness to receive?

If you want eternal salvation, that comes with a one-time act, trust Jesus, not you and your prayer life and patience, to save. Only Jesus can transform you utterly (later) to be ready to live in a utopia.

I  seeking direction only. 

Stepping out in faith of God's plan should be easy.

Unless, like myself, you've been burnt by stepping out in what you perceived to be faith to find it was a dead end.