hayleyv048

• Group:  Seeker
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  12
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Hi I am Wiccan, an Alexandrian initiate  and I have been recently thinking about God and reading the bible. I have ordered a NIV bible from freebible.org.uk and I am wondering if I have picked the right version for someone who is totally new to Christianity. 

Thanks

Hayley

• Group:  Seeker
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  12
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

29 minutes ago, Yowm said:

Welcome Hayley,

The NIV is ok, I believe the ESV and the New KJV (NKJV) are better.

Being a Wiccan, what is interesting you in God's Word, the bible?

Hi thank you for your reply.

In all honesty I have no idea what this 'calling' for want of a better word is. 

Hayley 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  2

2 hours ago, hayleyv048 said:

Hi I am Wiccan, an Alexandrian initiate  and I have been recently thinking about God and reading the bible. I have ordered a NIV bible from freebible.org.uk and I am wondering if I have picked the right version for someone who is totally new to Christianity. 

Thanks

Hayley

Hello, Welcome to the site.  :) 

The NIV is fine.  I've used it myself.   The one piece of advice I'd give is that the Bible is huge and it's easy to get lost so it's good to get your bearings before you start.  I'm not sure how much you do or do not already know about it, so my apologies if I'm stating the obvious here.  :)  

The Bible is split into two main divisions called the old testament (OT) and the new testament (NT).  The old testament is also the Jewish scriptures.  The new testament is the uniquely Christian part.  Both the OT and NT are composed of a series of separate books.  In the NT, there are 5 books that are historical and narrative in nature.  They contain the history of Jesus and the early church.  The remaining books in the NT consist of letters (in the sense of writing a letter to a friend) that were written to churches or individuals.  

I'll focus on the NT here.  One of the challenges of reading the NT (especially the books which are letters) is that there is often an common assumed background between the writers and the readers that we are not directly in on.  At times, it's sort of like hearing one side of a telephone conversation.   Most Christians study and seriously consider the historical context and try to understand what various writers meant and how the original readers understood it.  Don't be surprised if you run across things that don't make sense to you.

My counsel would be to start with the gospel of John.  This is the 4th book in the NT.  This is the book that contains the most in-depth and detailed stories about Jesus.   After that, I'd recommend the gospel of Luke (3rd book in the NT) and Acts (5th book in the NT).  The books of Luke and Acts are basically part 1 and part 2 from the same author laying out his research into the origins of Christianity.   The book of Luke focuses on Jesus' ministry.  The book of Acts focuses on the early Christian church.  You could read Luke and Acts in either order.  I think that starting with John and then reading Luke and Acts should give you a good basis for reading other books in the Bible and help you get your bearings.  I'd note that John and Luke are written in very different styles.  Luke is much more historic and biographic in style.  John is more symbolic and spiritual in style.  If you find John too mystical or symbolic in nature to easily follow, you might find Luke to be easier to follow.  Acts should be straightforward to follow.

Please feel free to ask any questions. :) 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  6,852
  • Content Per Day:  2.42
  • Days Won:  4
  • Birthday:  11/10/1986

I personally prefer the ESV, but the NIV is fine. Those are the two I would recommend most. KJV and NKJV can be a little difficult on people who aren't used to that style of language.

And welcome, by the way! God bless you richly on your journey into His Word!

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  595
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,031
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

6 hours ago, hayleyv048 said:

Thanks

Hayley

when you start reading I would agree with Gandalf's reasoning of what to read first.....    the Bible is pretty extensive and different parts are to inform us of different parts of our relationship with God and a lot of the why's. Some of the Old Testament why's don't make a lot of sense until you understand the whole picture which you get in those books he mentions.  It all makes a lot more sense if you establish that connection first so the Holy Spirit can guide your thoughts as you read through the rest.

My main suggestion is stay away from the Book of Revelation until you understand the rest pretty well.....    that book by itself can be confusing and a bit scary until you understand the whole story, but when you do it makes for a really good ending.

Edited by other one
  • Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  641
  • Content Per Day:  0.28

8 hours ago, hayleyv048 said:

Thanks

Hayley

Hi Hayley!  Welcome to Worthy!  The Holy Spirit must be prompting you to read God's Word.  May He open the eyes of your understanding and make the Scriptures come alive for you!  I pray that while you are reading, that you would be able to see God the Father's great, perfect love for you and you would be drawn to the Lord Jesus.  I just finished reading the Book of Genesis for a bible study and I so love the stories there.  I would start with the Book of Genesis and then go to the Gospels.  If you have the time, I would just read straight through the Bible.  The Lord will bless you for it.  You may not understand it all, but it's a start and also the more you read, the more hungry you will get for His Word!  :D

Edited by ForHisGlory37
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,102
  • Content Per Day:  0.49
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  11/07/1984

NIV is good. I personally love the NKJV. A good place to start is the book of John, that shows clearly who Jesus is, what He did, and the relationship He's inviting us into.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,399
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  1

10 hours ago, hayleyv048 said:

Thanks

Hayley

Hello Hayle

My first Bible was a NKJV New King James Version.. I now use the older King James Version..

I do not recommend the use of the NIV to anyone.. I do not recognise it as a trustworthy translation..

• Followers:  13
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  6,726
  • Content Per Day:  2.89
  • Days Won:  5

I would highly reccommend squeezing the first 10 chapters of Romans and the short book of Galations into your readings.Read John to see who Jesus is, then discover God’s plan of salvation revealed to Paul in the book of Romans.Then read the small book of Galations to make sure you know how to believe the Gospel and it ONLY to maintain your Salvation.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  422
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

Welcome!  I'll second Blood Bought's advice.