• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  168
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  394
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/28/1983

This post has a lot of description in it but the bits that are in bold are the way to use the armour - just read those bits if you want.

When you camping you need to make sure that you bring all of the right equipment in order to succeed e.g. you need to bring water otherwise you will feel de-hydrated which is actually quite dangerous.

As Christian's we are in a spiritual battle against the devil so we need to make sure that we bring the right equipment to the battle too.

I have found that this is not just about reading Ephesians 6:10-20 verses, instead it is about applying it once read - this way the armor then goes on properly and you look like a Roman soldier in the heavenlies, ready to kick bottom.

So how do we do that?

BELT OF TRUTH
If we are camping we definitely need a tent. This is just like how much we need Jesus who is the truth if we are a Christian. 

John 8:31-32 English Standard Version (ESV)
31 So Jesus said to the Jews who had believed him, “If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples, 
32 and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”

So what this means is that we should be dwelling in the Word daily - have a good daily reading plan of a bible version that you enjoy. For me this is the English Standard Version (ESV) - easy to read but misses nothing.

BREASTPLATE OF RIGHTEOUSNESS
We need warm clothes when we are camping, especially when the temperature drops at night. We need this as Christian's otherwise like in the tent physically we could go cold, we will go cold in our hearts spiritually. The breastplate protects our hearts.

So do not go cold, get a snuggly and warm heart by loving people:

Matthew 22:37-40 English Standard Version (ESV)
37 And he said to him, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. 38 This is the great and first commandment. 39 And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. 
40 On these two commandments depend all the Law and the Prophets.”

This is not our own righteousness by the way. That stuff is like filthy rags to Jesus - we need to do it in His strength:

Isaiah 64:6 English Standard Version (ESV)
6 We have all become like one who is unclean,
and all our righteous deeds are like a polluted garment.
We all fade like a leaf,
and our iniquities, like the wind, take us away.

SHOES
We don't want blisters or a broken shoe that means you have to hobble three miles back to the car, so get some robust hiking shoes. As Christian's we need readiness and nimbleness to carry the good news of peace and being sturdy to stand in the truth:

Matthew 4:19 English Standard Version (ESV)
19 And he said to them, “Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.”

So be ready and prepared to give out the gospel - get some good hiking boots to gently bring the peace of the gospel to people:

Isaiah 52:7 English Standard Version (ESV)
7 How beautiful upon the mountains
are the feet of him who brings good news,
who publishes peace, who brings good news of happiness,
who publishes salvation,
who says to Zion, “Your God reigns.”

SHIELD
If you are camping then I recommend bringing midge repellant, I won't give a specific product recommendation, but your face will be swelled up like a pumpkin in the morning from being bitten if you don't lol. As Christian's we need a shield of faith to protect us from the devil's fiery darts. 

The Roman shield metaphor that Paul used in Ephesians 6 is great as a Roman shield is massive and covers the whole of your body. The soldiers would have a formation where they would effectively make an in-penetrable box of shields with them inside so huddle up with your fellow Brothers and Sisters in Christ to be an healthy Christian. Use the forums for this too :) 

HELMET
Don't get a torch, get a headlamp. I learnt that these are amazing for camping as the light goes where you look and you also have a hand free. When it gets dark you need this to see clearly and keep your head to see what you are doing.

We need the helmet of salvation to think clearly and wisely - remember your hope in heaven and you will see clearly:

1 John 5:11-13 English Standard Version (ESV)
11 And this is the testimony, that God gave us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. 
12 Whoever has the Son has life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have life.
13 I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life. 

We think clearly and wisely to make better decisions in life and protect ourselves from the dangers of sin. 

SWORD
Walking poles (not a camping weapon lol) for long journey's in the forest like our long journey on the winding road to heaven.
With the sword of the Spirit we can cut through our dis-beliefs and doubts:

Hebrews 4:12 English Standard Version (ESV)
12 For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart.

Walking poles stop us moaning about our knees and chickening out half way up the mountain.
Learn the words of the bible for when we need those assuring words because of our doubts or to gently witness to someone about how Jesus took on a body like ours so that He could know our sorrows and difficulties.

PRAYER
Do all of the above by asking in prayer for God's help. Pray lots as the Spirit leads you - don't think you have to spend the whole day repeating prayers but do remember that prayer is very important.

Don't give up!

With this armour we can stand as Christian's without fear, alert and ready, confident that we have protection from God all the time.

When camping we bring all of the right equipment and use is right too e.g. bring Kendal mint cake which is actually quite tasty but we use it right by rationing it.

Shalom ?

Edited by Sharky and George
Re-formatted to make more readable