• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  949
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,522
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

I am thinking that not all things that go bad  are necessarily built of all bad things. 

What of the way  one Robert Schuller started- preaching at a drive in movie theater with people able to listen from their cars or gathered around the movie's screen area or play areas? What he came to be preaching was askew, but what of the idea of using today's technology to enhance a real get out of the house go to church experience with the family by letting people sit in their vehicles, or gather on lawns, or playgrounds, and picnic areas as well as in church "pews" to worship in song, hear the word of God, and to fellowship one with another while also having a weekly picnic all on church grounds or grounds used by church? 

I am thinking why not let people unite informally, yet under formal organization. If that is to be done, was not Schuller's original idea actually an ideal way to gather today with  the ease of today's communication technologies ? 

Edited by Neighbor

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  41
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  686
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  0

4 hours ago, Neighbor said:

or gather on lawns, or playgrounds, and picnic areas

Sounds like a real good idea to me, more so if no one takes a collection.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Yowm said:

NO.

I believe God designed the Church to have real time flesh and blood interaction, ministering to the physical needs as well as the spiritual needs of His flock. 

Here I was thinking having a more informal setting would better allow for that. 

1 hour ago, john1 said:

Sounds like a real good idea to me, more so if no one takes a collection.

Funny! 

I do believe that giving is both a high privilege and a duty of worship to God.

Edited by Neighbor

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.35
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

2 hours ago, Yowm said:

NO.

I believe God designed the Church to have real time flesh and blood interaction, ministering to the physical needs as well as the spiritual needs of His flock. 

I ONLY KNOW of one ROBERT SCHULER .      OH heavens sake that man is monster false .     One of the main early pioneers of the utter junk we see today .    I mean

what have the churches turned too .   

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  41
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  686
  • Content Per Day:  0.30

32 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

I do believe that giving is both a high privilege and a duty of worship to God.

I agree with you the church should give for a change, their's plenty of pastors without a church that could do it, even more so since greed won't be involved.

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.35
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

IT wont matter where we gather , in a field a cave ,  a hill ,  a house .   BUT IT DOES MATTER WHO WE SIT UNDER .     

I could care less if folks gathered in the streets for church .     What a joy actually.    ITS WHO they gather under and the doctrine that gets taught . THAT MATTERS .

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  332
  • Content Per Day:  0.16

At the very least though, i'd advise against online streams. Even if most of the Christian streams i've seen were "satirical," they tend to attract a certain particular crowd, either way.

4 hours ago, Yowm said:

Maybe, but not rolling up to the speaker in your '57 Edsel in a crowded Drive-in theatre somewhere in Orange County, and then driving off into the sunset.

285542203_download(5).jpg.7387c4657fdd394dfc42897a0e90f7da.jpg

Ah but they didn't drive off. They stayed, communed, fellowshipped, and shared with much of Orange County California. Lots of good people, saints in Christ Jesus, new believers, so many  young families.

That the theology became a Norman Vincent Peale continuation was another thing altogether. Thing is the people did bond, did share and did spread the word too.

They also began to hear and then spread the gospel of wealth to be gained by the "power of posibility thinking", ( and the Orange County real estate market) above the eternal wealth to be secured in Jesus. Eventually it was all to fall, and  that grand edifice no longer the easy  to gather at drive in theater, but instead just another opulent edifice. They went from simple worship, gathering, and serious fellowship, to all out motivational type presentation where wealth is success and success is wealth. It worked early on in the Orange County land boom, but in it's last years the dominoes they had stood up all starting falling, the congregation saw they were following a man and not Christ. The man  whose pride broke even his own family apart was thrown out for a time, and it all tumbled hard.  The Crystal Cathedral property was bought up by the Orange County Roman Catholic Achdiocese and made into a school campus.

None the less many  first learned of our Lord  even late in the shadow and reflections of all the glitz paved over the older real estate of simple origins. It had started well, then success begat more success and greed for more than money, greed for fame and pride, killed it all.

ps- 58, no 57 

Edited by Neighbor