rrobs

Manifestations of the Spirit

I can understand why there is confusion when it comes to the operation of the manifestations (usually wrongly called gifts) of the spirit in light of the text in 1 Corinthians chapter 12.

1Cor 12:7-10,

7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.
8 For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;
9 To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;
10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another [divers] kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:

First of all, it should be noted that verse 7 is talking about manifestations, not gifts. The gift is holy spirit which, being spirit, can't be seen, heard, smelled, tasted, or touched. In other words, it can not be registered by any of the 5 senses people normally use to learn about the world around them. That is why God made the 9 different ways the invisible spirit can be manifested into the senses world.

Like I said, I can almost understand why some say that not all Christians can operate any or all of the listed manifestations when only the text of 1 Corinthians 12:8-10 is considered. I suppose it could be considered a bit nebulous to many and therefore hard to fully understand. However, there is a verse in John that seems to settle the question once and for all.

John 14:12,

Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater [works] than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.

There are numerous examples of Jesus operating 7 of the nine manifestations (he didn't operate tongues or interpretation of tongues simply because they were not available until the day of Pentecost). Therefore it seems crystal clear that every believer can manifest at least the 7 Jesus operated. John 14:12 leaves little doubt on that point. As far as tongues and interpretation are concerned, one only need to look at Paul's (converted after Pentecost, when tongues and interpretation were available) attitude concerning tongues/interpretation.

1Cor 14:5,

I would that ye all spake with tongues, but rather that ye prophesied: for greater [is] he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying.

Paul, via revelation from God, wants us to speak in tongues in our private prayer life. However, when others are present it is required that the message in tongues be interpreted or that message given by prophecy. Tongues with interpretation is equal to prophecy. Tongues in one's private prayer life edifies that individual only (1 Cor 14:4), but he that interprets tongues or utters a word of prophecy edifies the whole body of believers in a public meeting. Prophesy is a sign of a more mature group of believers (1 Cor 14:22).

The bottom line is that God wants all Christians to speak in tongues, "I would that ye all spake with tongues..."

1Cor 14:18,

I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all:

If it's good enough for Paul, how about the rest of us? I'd say, and I believe this verse says God agrees, we should speak in tongues in our private prayer life often.

So the scriptures unequivocally say we will do the works Jesus did. That includes 7 of the 9 manifestations in 1 Cor 12:8-10. Besides those 7, God wants us to operate the other 2 which came after the Day if Pentecost.

One can study the scriptures to build up their mind, but to edify the spirit it is necessary to operate the gift of holy spirit which God freely gave each and every born again believer. That is how we can do the works Jesus did when he walked this earth.

Edited by rrobs
  • Thumbs Up 1

Remember also ,

Orderly Worship
The spirits of prophets are subject to prophets. 33For God is not a God of disorder, but of peace.As  in all the congregations of the saints, 34women are to be silent in the churches. They are not permitted to speak, but must be in submission, as the Law says.…1 Cor:14:33

First of all, it should be noted that verse 7 is talking about manifestations, not gifts. The gift is holy spirit which, being spirit, can't be seen, heard, smelled, tasted, or touched. In other words, it can not be registered by any of the 5 senses people normally use to learn about the world around them. That is why God made the 9 different ways the invisible spirit can be manifested into the senses world.

The Holy Spirit is a the gift to us when we accept Jesus as our Savior and follow Him ,He will give us the gift of The Holy Spirit to go out and to preach the gospel to an unbelieving world with boldness.

After they prayed, the place where they were meeting was shaken. And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and spoke the word of God boldly.Acts 4:31

Matthew 28:18-20 

18 Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”

1 Corinthians 13 

13 If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.

4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. 11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. 12 For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

On 9/3/2018 at 6:38 AM, rrobs said:

I can understand why there is confusion when it comes to the operation of the manifestations (usually wrongly called gifts) of the spirit in light of the text in 1 Corinthians chapter 12.

8 For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;
9 To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;
10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another [divers] kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:

First of all, it should be noted that verse 7 is talking about manifestations, not gifts. The gift is holy spirit which, being spirit, can't be seen, heard, smelled, tasted, or touched. In other words, it can not be registered by any of the 5 senses people normally use to learn about the world around them. That is why God made the 9 different ways the invisible spirit can be manifested into the senses world.

Like I said, I can almost understand why some say that not all Christians can operate any or all of the listed manifestations when only the text of 1 Corinthians 12:8-10 is considered. I suppose it could be considered a bit nebulous to many and therefore hard to fully understand. However, there is a verse in John that seems to settle the question once and for all.

Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater [works] than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.

There are numerous examples of Jesus operating 7 of the nine manifestations (he didn't operate tongues or interpretation of tongues simply because they were not available until the day of Pentecost). Therefore it seems crystal clear that every believer can manifest at least the 7 Jesus operated. John 14:12 leaves little doubt on that point. As far as tongues and interpretation are concerned, one only need to look at Paul's (converted after Pentecost, when tongues and interpretation were available) attitude concerning tongues/interpretation.

I would that ye all spake with tongues, but rather that ye prophesied: for greater [is] he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying.

Paul, via revelation from God, wants us to speak in tongues in our private prayer life. However, when others are present it is required that the message in tongues be interpreted or that message given by prophecy. Tongues with interpretation is equal to prophecy. Tongues in one's private prayer life edifies that individual only (1 Cor 14:4), but he that interprets tongues or utters a word of prophecy edifies the whole body of believers in a public meeting. Prophesy is a sign of a more mature group of believers (1 Cor 14:22).

The bottom line is that God wants all Christians to speak in tongues, "I would that ye all spake with tongues..."

If it's good enough for Paul, how about the rest of us? I'd say, and I believe this verse says God agrees, we should speak in tongues in our private prayer life often.

So the scriptures unequivocally say we will do the works Jesus did. That includes 7 of the 9 manifestations in 1 Cor 12:8-10. Besides those 7, God wants us to operate the other 2 which came after the Day if Pentecost.

One can study the scriptures to build up their mind, but to edify the spirit it is necessary to operate the gift of holy spirit which God freely gave each and every born again believer. That is how we can do the works Jesus did when he walked this earth.

Thefollowing scripture totaqlly destroy the doctrine that this poster is putting forward::

1 Corrinthians 12 KJV

12 Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren, I would not have you ignorant.

Ye know that ye were Gentiles, carried away unto these dumb idols, even as ye were led.

Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed: and that no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost.

Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit.

And there are differences of administrations, but the same Lord.

And there are diversities of operations, but it is the same God which worketh all in all.

But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.

For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;

To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;

10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:

So from the scripture i have quoted it is clear that different followers of Christ are given different gifts.. It does not say that they receive all gifts or that all are given tongues..  This belief that all must speak in tongues is a false doctrine and should be rejected by all Bible believing Christians..

• Thumbs Up 1

there are 9 gifts of the Spirit.  out of those God has moved thru me in 7 of those thus far. 

arguing about calling it a gift or a manifestation of The Spirit is really a waste of energy.  the bible calls them both and it really is both. 

tomato-tamato.

On ‎9‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 9:38 PM, rrobs said:

You are wrong about some things.

[1] The "Gifts" aren't just manifestations, See 1 Cor 12: [v4] Gifts, [V5] Administrations, [V6] Operations, [V7] Manifestations.

People are gifted with one of these gifts which will be manifested, [SEEN]

[2] The gifts can be seen, heard and felt, We can hear a tongue and an interpretation of tongues, We can hear prophecy. We can feel healed, we can see people get healed, For an example, The gift of miracles to cause people to walk, can be seen as the crippled get up and walk.

[3]Tongues aren't just for private life, We can speak or sing in Church. 1 Cor 14: 14--17. & v28, Means speak in tongues . v 39 Forbid NOT to speak in tongues.  You must go to a Spiritually dead Church if no one speaks in tongues during a time of prayer or worship.

• Brilliant! 1

On ‎9‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 4:38 PM, rrobs said:

If it's good enough for Paul, how about the rest of us? I'd say, and I believe this verse says God agrees, we should speak in tongues in our private prayer life often

The gift of speaking in tongues was a direct reversal of God's judgement to our sin taken at the Tower of Babel to his disciples  , done only for the purpose of & in conjunction of the proclaiming of the Gospel at that time .

Publicly , not privately . 

It was all about " serving "   , not thinking more highly of one's self . 

Speaking in " tongues " for the Christian today is not about private  dialects , but public strength .

God has me speaking in tongues more each day I live what my weak , unwilling , and sinful flesh naturally resists , the Salvation of this Jesus who is the Christ . 

It is not about what language you speak ,  but the spiritual STRENGTH with which you are speaking . 

" Watch ye , stand fast in the faith , quit you like men , be strong "   ( 1 Corinthians 16 : 13 ) 

On 9/11/2018 at 8:27 PM, Adstar said:

Thefollowing scripture totaqlly destroy the doctrine that this poster is putting forward::

1 Corrinthians 12 KJV

12 Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren, I would not have you ignorant.

Ye know that ye were Gentiles, carried away unto these dumb idols, even as ye were led.

Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed: and that no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost.

Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit.

And there are differences of administrations, but the same Lord.

And there are diversities of operations, but it is the same God which worketh all in all.

But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.

For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;

To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;

10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:

So from the scripture i have quoted it is clear that different followers of Christ are given different gifts.. It does not say that they receive all gifts or that all are given tongues..  This belief that all must speak in tongues is a false doctrine and should be rejected by all Bible believing Christians..

So 1 Corinthians 12:7-10 totally destroys the doctrine of Jesus telling us we'd do the works he did? Maybe Jesus was wrong and 1 Corinthians as you see it was right. That's an interesting proposition. I'm not sure how much of God's word would remain if that is how we attempted to rightly divide it. Probably not much.

You are calling a gift what God calls a manifestation. In other words, you are changing God's word. Unfortunately you are not alone in that. No wonder there is so much confusion about spiritual matters. But it's nothing new. Apparently the Corinthians, because of their carnality (1:11-12, 3:1, 4:18, 5:1, 6:1, et. al.), were confused also. That is why God, through Paul, felt it necessary to clear up some misunderstandings.

Verse one is not the best translation in most versions. The word "gifts" is not in the texts. The Greek word is "pneumatikos" which is better translated as "spiritual matters." In other words, Paul is about to speak about, not just gifts, but spiritual matters in general. Verse 4 does speak of "gifts." Verse 5 on the other hand speaks of "administrations" which is a spiritual matter but not a gift. Verse 6 speaks of "operation" which is yet another spiritual matter but not a gift. So far only 1 out of 3 spiritual matters are actually called gifts by God. We should pay more attention to what God says about things.

Verse 7 begins with the word "but" which is a small word with big consequences. God is about to introduce another spiritual matter that apparently is somehow different from the previous 3 spiritual matters. What makes it different? The gifts of verse 4, the administrations of verse 5 and the operations of verse 6 are not necessarily given to every Christian. The manifestation of the spirit on the other hand is "given to every man." There is one manifestation and it is given to every man. That has to fit somehow with the next 3 verses which list the different ways that manifestation can be energized. There is more to it than what the KJV version indicates. It is in fact necessary to delve into a bit of Greek to see what they say. I don't want to do that now, but if you are interested you can do some research on your own. Just remember that whatever you come up with must agree with Jesus' assertion that we'd do the same works he did. There can be no contradictions in God's perfect word.

Let's say you are right and not every Christian can speak in tongues. Are there any other manifestation that not all Christians can operate? Are miracles, or word of knowledge, or word of wisdom reserved for a select few? If so, how does that square with what Jesus said about us doing all the works he did (and then some)? Jesus did a few miracles in his life and he often got a word of knowledge (revelation) and word of wisdom (what to do with the information) from his father, so it would seem we should also. The truth is that Jesus operated 7 of the 9 listed in 1 Corinthians, so we all should have the ability to do those. Jesus never spoke in tongues or interpreted simply because they were not available until after he left the scene. Could those actually be the "greater works" Jesus spoke of?

Edited by rrobs

9 hours ago, Alan Hales said:

You are wrong about some things.

[1] The "Gifts" aren't just manifestations, See 1 Cor 12: [v4] Gifts, [V5] Administrations, [V6] Operations, [V7] Manifestations.

People are gifted with one of these gifts which will be manifested, [SEEN]

[2] The gifts can be seen, heard and felt, We can hear a tongue and an interpretation of tongues, We can hear prophecy. We can feel healed, we can see people get healed, For an example, The gift of miracles to cause people to walk, can be seen as the crippled get up and walk.

[3]Tongues aren't just for private life, We can speak or sing in Church. 1 Cor 14: 14--17. & v28, Means speak in tongues . v 39 Forbid NOT to speak in tongues.  You must go to a Spiritually dead Church if no one speaks in tongues during a time of prayer or worship.

I understand that. The word "gifts" in verse one is not the best translation. The Greek word is "pneumaticos" and is better translated as "spiritual matters." So the gifts of verse 4, the administrations of verse 5, and the operations of verse 6 are all spiritual matters. Only 1 out of 3 does God call "gifts."

Verse 7 continues to speak of spiritual matters. It begins with the word "but" which sets it in contrast with the previous verses. What makes it different? The gifts, administrations, and operations of the previous 3 verses are not necessarily given to every Christian. Verse 7 therefore makes a point of saying the manifestation of the spirit is "given to every man."

As you pointed out, a manifestation is something the senses can register. The gift all Christians receive is holy spirit. It is that gift that makes us children of god, born again. But being spirit, it can't be sensed by any or our 5 senses. Hence God made it available to manifest the invisible spirit in 9 different ways.

You drew quite a conclusion from very little information in saying I go to a dead church. If someone in the body stands, speaks in tongues, and sits down that person would appear to be crazy to the uninitiated (1 Cor 14:23). Tongues in a public service must be interpreted (14:27). The other option is for someone to give a word of prophecy which has the same effect as tongues with interpretation. In both cases the body of believers gets a message from God in their own language and thus the whole body is edified.

Speaking in tongues is for one's private prayer life. The scriptures list multiple benefits of speaking in tongues but they can be summed up by saying tongues edifies the spirit of that individual. It makes them big and fat spiritually. The scriptures build up the mind, tongues builds up the spirit. But speaking in tongues should never be done by itself in a public setting. Speaking in tongues with interpretation is for the gathered body of believers in a church. Tongues with interpretation is primarily for the unbeliever or young Christian (12:22). In a mature body prophecy is preferred. They don't need the sign of speaking in tongues like those who are new to the body of Christ.

In our services at some point the leader will call upon someone to stand, speak in tongues and interpret. Afterwards that person sits down. The leader may call upon someone else to speak in tongues with interpretation or to give a word of prophecy. Afterwards that person sits down. Everybody gets immensely blessed to hear a few words from God directed specifically to that body on that day. It is very special. Hardly makes for a dead church. Everything is done decently and in order (14:40).

Edited by rrobs

5 hours ago, Unfailing Presence said:

The gift of speaking in tongues was a direct reversal of God's judgement to our sin taken at the Tower of Babel to his disciples  , done only for the purpose of & in conjunction of the proclaiming of the Gospel at that time .

Publicly , not privately . 

It was all about " serving "   , not thinking more highly of one's self . 

Speaking in " tongues " for the Christian today is not about private  dialects , but public strength .

God has me speaking in tongues more each day I live what my weak , unwilling , and sinful flesh naturally resists , the Salvation of this Jesus who is the Christ . 

It is not about what language you speak ,  but the spiritual STRENGTH with which you are speaking . 

" Watch ye , stand fast in the faith , quit you like men , be strong "   ( 1 Corinthians 16 : 13 ) 

For the life of me, I can't understand why everybody calls a gift that which God calls a manifestation. There is a difference and until that difference is understood and accepted we can't go very far into spiritual matters. Bible versions use the word "gifts" in verse one. That is highly misleading, so I suppose that is a big part of the confusion. The Greek word for "gifts" in verse one is "pneumaticos" which is better translated as "spiritual matters."

Verse 4 does indeed speak of "gifts." Gifts therefore must be a spiritual matter. But verse 5 speaks of "administration" which are another spiritual matter. Verse 6 goes on to speak of "operations" which are yet another spiritual matter different than either gifts or administrations. So far only 1 out of 3 spiritual matters are called gifts by God. We need to pay attention. God chooses His words carefully and we should be careful in handing His word.

Verse 7 starts out with the word "but" which sets it in contrast with that which preceded. God is going to speak of yet another spiritual matter that is somehow set apart from the previous 3 spiritual matters. What could that be? Gifts, administration, and operations are not necessarily given to every born again believer. The manifestation in verse 7 on the other hand is "given to every man."

Tongues is not a gift. That idea should be blotted out of every Christian's mind. God calls it a manifestation. So should we. A gift is not a manifestation and a manifestation is not a gift. It is incumbent upon every workman of God's word to learn the difference.

Having said all of the above, I'm blessed you speak in tongues despite some misunderstanding of exactly what it is. You are building up your spirit which can only be a good thing for the body of believers as a whole. Keep it up and you just may end up manifestating that spirit in some of the other ways, miracles, word of knowledge, etc. It'll make you more capable in serving the rest of the body and that'd what God wants us to do.

Edited by rrobs

1 hour ago, rrobs said:

I understand that. The word "gifts" in verse one is not the best translation. The Greek word is "pneumaticos" and is better translated as "spiritual matters." So the gifts of verse 4, the administrations of verse 5, and the operations of verse 6 are all spiritual matters. Only 1 out of 3 does God call "gifts."

Verse 7 continues to speak of spiritual matters. It begins with the word "but" which sets it in contrast with the previous verses. What makes it different? The gifts, administrations, and operations of the previous 3 verses are not necessarily given to every Christian. Verse 7 therefore makes a point of saying the manifestation of the spirit is "given to every man."

As you pointed out, a manifestation is something the senses can register. The gift all Christians receive is holy spirit. It is that gift that makes us children of god, born again. But being spirit, it can't be sensed by any or our 5 senses. Hence God made it available to manifest the invisible spirit in 9 different ways.

You drew quite a conclusion from very little information in saying I go to a dead church. If someone in the body stands, speaks in tongues, and sits down that person would appear to be crazy to the uninitiated (1 Cor 14:23). Tongues in a public service must be interpreted (14:27). The other option is for someone to give a word of prophecy which has the same effect as tongues with interpretation. In both cases the body of believers gets a message from God in their own language and thus the whole body is edified.

Speaking in tongues is for one's private prayer life. The scriptures list multiple benefits of speaking in tongues but they can be summed up by saying tongues edifies the spirit of that individual. It makes them big and fat spiritually. The scriptures build up the mind, tongues builds up the spirit. But speaking in tongues should never be done by itself in a public setting. Speaking in tongues with interpretation is for the gathered body of believers in a church. Tongues with interpretation is primarily for the unbeliever or young Christian (12:22). In a mature body prophecy is preferred. They don't need the sign of speaking in tongues like those who are new to the body of Christ.

In our services at some point the leader will call upon someone to stand, speak in tongues and interpret. Afterwards that person sits down. The leader may call upon someone else to speak in tongues with interpretation or to give a word of prophecy. Afterwards that person sits down. Everybody gets immensely blessed to hear a few words from God directed specifically to that body on that day. It is very special. Hardly makes for a dead church. Everything is done decently and in order (14:40).

I know 1 Cor 12: 1 Says, "Now concerning things that pertain to the Spirit". and the chapter is talking about the things pertaining to the Spirit, Are, [A] The gifts. Vs 7--11, & v30--31.   the body of Christ,  Vs 12--27.[C] The Ministers. Vs 28-29.

The Greek word for, "Gifts", In v4, Is, "Charisma" Grace gifts. NOTE the gifts are  Given, Vs 7--11.

Nowhere does 1 Cor 14: 23, or any other scriptures forbid speaking in tongues in a Church service. Only religious people don't speak in tongues in Church. The meaning of "Mad", in  v 23, Could be translated, "Besides thyself", and Paul doesn't say Don't speak in tongues in Church. In fact, Paul encourages speaking in tongues in Church, 1 Cor 14: 12--15, A person has to be speaking in tongues, if they are told to pray for an interpretation, That certainly isn't for a private prayer life. Plus, V 28 say in relation to speaking in tongues, we should speak to  OURSELVES, and to God.

Your leader is out of order, Because he isn't the Holy Spirit, and it's the Holy Spirit who works the gifts, 1 Cor 12: 6--11, So your leader has no right to tell someone to stand, speak in tongues or interpret. The people might be blessed by it, But the blessing doesn't come from God.

You reach Half truths, Which are just as bad as No truths.