IGNORED

Confused about something about Jesus.And sheol.

• Group:  Seeker
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  154
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  356
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  0

Acts 2:27-31 King James Version (KJV)
27 Because thou wilt not leave my soul in hell, neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.

28 Thou hast made known to me the ways of life; thou shalt make me full of joy with thy countenance.

29 Men and brethren, let me freely speak unto you of the patriarch David, that he is both dead and buried, and his sepulchre is with us unto this day.

30 Therefore being a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him, that of the fruit of his loins, according to the flesh, he would raise up Christ to sit on his throne;

31 He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption.

If you read this in Acts 2:31 it says the soul and body are different.I am confused.):

Ps 141:7

As when one plows and breaks open the earth, Our bones have been scattered at the mouth of Sheol.

Notice that the body is not in Sheol, but at the entrance of Sheol.I am confused.:(

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,399
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  1

The flesh body we currently dwell in is not our eternal Soul...  So our bodies which will die and decay back to dust where it came.. But we shall be given an eternal soul upon the day of reasurection.. At lest that is my understanding..

I am not to sure what your actual question or problem is?

I use the KJV Bible and it says::

Psalm 141 KJV

Our bones are scattered at the grave's mouth, as when one cutteth and cleaveth wood upon the earth.

What translation did you source your Psalm 141 7 quote from?

• Group:  Seeker
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  154
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  356

2 hours ago, Adstar said:

The flesh body we currently dwell in is not our eternal Soul...  So our bodies which will die and decay back to dust where it came.. But we shall be given an eternal soul upon the day of reasurection.. At lest that is my understanding..

I am not to sure what your actual question or problem is?

I use the KJV Bible and it says::

Psalm 141 KJV

Our bones are scattered at the grave's mouth, as when one cutteth and cleaveth wood upon the earth.

What translation did you source your Psalm 141 7 quote from?

I can't find the source for my post on psalm 141:7:(

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Content Per Day:  0.67

Peter quotes David's "you won't let your special one's soul sit in death", a prophecy of the resurrection.

People have souls. Our body can rot in the ground but the soul enters into conscious fellowship with God or conscious torment, alone.

The good news isn’t “you were striving to be saved by works, so trust Jesus, then strive for good works to be saved.”

I witness frequently to people who say they are striving to be saved by works and don’t need Jesus Christ. The good news is Jesus sets us free from striving to perfect ourselves, free from the curse of the law, sin and death.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  168
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  394
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Birthday:  12/28/1983

Not sure if this answers your question but I think it will help you anyway.

Jesus loves us massively and wherever you go He will be there too and He will never let you go.

David writes about this in Psalm 139, a great Psalm to meditate on to encourage you in your relationship with Jesus.

This is a snippet and shows that He will never let you go, even to Sheol:

Psalm 139:7-12 English Standard Version (ESV)

7 Where shall I go from your Spirit?
    Or where (J)shall I flee from your presence?
8 If I ascend to heaven, you are there!
    (L)If I make my bed in Sheol, you are there!
9 If I take the wings of the morning
    and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea,
10 even there your hand shall (M)lead me,
    and your right hand shall hold me.
11 If I say, “Surely the darkness shall cover me,
    and the light about me be night,”
12 even the darkness is not dark to you;
    the night is bright as the day,
    for darkness is as light with you.

Bless you :)

• Group:  Seventh Day Adventist
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  281

On 9/6/2018 at 10:32 AM, zorgblar said:

If you read this in Acts 2:31 it says the soul and body are different.I am confused.)

Genesis 2:7 &(1/God formed Man out of the dust of the ground) 2/ and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life;  3/and man became a living soul.

1+2=3 

1/the body was formed our of the dust

2/ breath was placed in him.        ( The Hebrew word breathed in here is Nephash meaning to puff, inflate, blow hard, breath) 

3/ Man became a living soul, some versions say a living being.

There is much confusion in Christendom over soul, spirit, hell, sheol, Gehenna.    Which all relates to the topic & the verses you placed in.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  168
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  394
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Birthday:  12/28/1983

Ok good questions and it is good you are seeking understanding:

Proverbs 3:13 English Standard Version (ESV)
13 Blessed is the one who finds wisdom, and the one who gets understanding,

Body, soul and spirit

As human beings we are composed of a mortal body (physical - we can see this) and spirit / soul (spiritual - unseen):

2 Corinthians 4:18 English Standard Version (ESV)
18 as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal.

As a complete human being we are:

1 Thessalonians 5:23 English Standard Version (ESV)
23 Now may the God of peace himself sanctify you completely, and may your whole spirit and soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Body

This is temporary and will be gone when you die.

Your five physical body senses being:

• Ears - hearing
  • Skin - touch
  • Nose - smell
  • Eyes - sight
  • Tongue - taste

Soul AKA mind, consciousness, imagination, reasoning

Our conscience is the part of our soul that convicts us of right and wrong e.g. you think back to a time when you used bad language and feel bad about it.

God works on our soul AKA mind to make it more like Jesus's:

Romans 12:2 English Standard Version (ESV)
2 Do not be conformed to this world,[a] but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.

Spirit

We have our spirit and the Holy Spirit of God too if we are Christian:

Ephesians 1:13 (ESV)

13 In him you also, when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and believed in him, were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit, 

The Holy Spirit guides us e.g. to make loving choices to help people.

Notes

IMO we are composed of body, soul and spirit that are interconnected, we should look after each of them and if you help one then it helps the other two as well.

A few tips for looking after them:

1. Read your bible (ESV is good), go to a good church and pray to know that you are loved by Jesus. Then this loves overflows from you to love other people too. You are then following the two greatest commandments in faith

2. Look at Abraham Maslow's hierarchy or needs and you can check off that you are satisfying each one and then feel pucka:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/file:maslow's_hierarchy_of_needs.svg?qsrc=3044

3. This is a reliable website that I also used to answer your questions and will give you understanding of the spiritual heart which is vital IMO:

https://www.gotquestions.org/body-soul-spirit.html

Hell, Sheol and Gehenna

Hell

A place for the wicked/unbelieving of everlasting torment:

https://www.gotquestions.org/hell-real-eternal.html

Sheol and Gehanna

https://www.gotquestions.org/sheol-hades-hell.html

In the Hebrew Scriptures, the word used to describe the realm of the dead is sheol. It simply means “the place of the dead” or “the place of departed souls/spirits.”

The New Testament Greek equivalent to sheol is hades, which is also a general reference to “the place of the dead.”

The Greek word gehenna is used in the New Testament for “hell” and is derived from the Hebrew word hinnom. Other Scriptures in the New Testament indicated that sheol/hades is a temporary place where souls are kept as they await the final resurrection.

The souls of the righteous, at death, go directly into the presence of God—the part of sheol called “heaven,” “paradise,” or “Abraham’s bosom” (Luke 23:43; 2 Corinthians 5:8; Philippians 1:23).

Hope this helps,

Shalom ?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,058
  • Content Per Day:  0.42
  • Days Won:  5

On 9/6/2018 at 3:32 AM, zorgblar said:

Acts 2:27-31 King James Version (KJV)
30 Therefore being a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him, that of the fruit of his loins, according to the flesh, he would raise up Christ to sit on his throne;
31 He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption.

If you read this in Acts 2:31 it says the soul and body are different.I am confused.):

Ps 141:7
As when one plows and breaks open the earth, Our bones have been scattered at the mouth of Sheol.

Notice that the body is not in Sheol, but at the entrance of Sheol.I am confused.

'"Because Thou wilt not leave my soul in hell, 
neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.
Thou hast made known to me the ways of life; 
thou shalt make me full of joy with Thy countenance.
"(Psa.16:9,10)
Men and brethren, 
let me freely speak unto you of the patriarch David, 
.. that he is both dead and buried, 
.... and his sepulchre is with us unto this day.
Therefore being a prophet, 
.. and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him, 
.... that of the fruit of his loins, according to the flesh, 
...... He would raise up Christ to sit on his throne;
........ He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, 
.......... that his soul was not left in hell
(or, 'the grave'),
............. neither his flesh did see corruption.'

(Act 2:27-31) 

Hello @zorgblar

This is a wonderful prophecy, given by God through David, isn't it?  It is wonderful too, that we have the record of it's fulfilment in the resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ;  Who though laid in the grave (Sheol), was not left there, but was raised to life again, and ascended up to God's right hand.

* The soul is the body energised by the breath of life (or spirit) - a living soul (Gen.2:7).  

-------------------

*  Re. Psalm 141:7:-

'Our bones are scattered at the grave's mouth, 
as when one cutteth and cleaveth wood upon the earth.
But mine eyes are unto thee, O GOD the Lord: 
in thee is my trust; leave not my soul destitute.'

(Psa 141:7-8) 

* It would seem that David is referring to dead men who remain unburied, their bones scattered at the grave's mouth, not having the comfort of burial.

* The middle English word, 'Hell', means 'to hide away', as in a grave.  It is the place of the dead. Greek philosophy, tradition and mis-use over time has corrupted our conception of it, but 'to hide away' is the meaning intended by the translators who chose it, to translate the Hebrew and Greek words for 'the place of the dead' that it represents. (Sheol, Hades, Gehenna and Tartaroo)

In Christ Jesus

Chris

Edited by Christine