Children from a previous marriage

• Group:  Newbie
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Hi. I’m 30 years old, a male and not married. 

I have none of my own children and have never been married.

I am in a relationship with a lady that I love dearly and she has two children from a previous marriage. 

The kids still see their Dad and we all get on well.

I’m just curious as to what the Bible says about this situation. I’m a great rolemodel for the kids and they love me as I do them. 

Also what if I was to have a child with my partner?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,224
  • Content Per Day:  3.34
  • Days Won:  30

Welcome, Jason.    However, the first question is are you both strong believers in Jesus Christ? That means have you both turned away from sinning and turned to God for forgiveness?  Do you believe that you can only be forgiven because Jesus died for you on the cross to pay the penalty for your sin?  Have you confessed that Jesus is your Lord and God and do you desire to serve Him?  

In answer to your question, the Bible says that living together outside of marriage is sin.  It is called fornication.  Divorce is also frowned upon by God;  the possible exception is if her husband committed adultery and left her.  

But God forgives all who in humility truly hate that they have sinned against God and who turn to Him for forgiveness.  God demonstrated His love for us when He sent Jesus into the world to die for us sinners.   When we turn to Him for forgiveness He also confers Christs' sinless righteousness on us and gives us a new life that is cleansed by the reading of the Bible.  We are empowered to follow and serve Him by His Spirit.  God changes our desires and our hearts to be more like Jesus as we surrender our lives to Him.  It is a process.  He also grows these qualities in us: love, joy, peace, patient endurance, kindness, goodness, gentleness, faithfulness and self-control.  They are produced by His Spirit dwelling in us.

I urge you to read a Bible such as the ESV (English Standard Version) and start reading past the middle in the New Testament.  The Gospel of John is a good place to start, or any of the Gospels since they tell about the life and words of Jesus.

Blessings,

Willa

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  320
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  6,830
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Days Won:  1

3 hours ago, Jason Hutton said:

Hi. I’m 30 years old, a male and not married. 

I have none of my own children and have never been married.

I am in a relationship with a lady that I love dearly and she has two children from a previous marriage. 

The kids still see their Dad and we all get on well.

I’m just curious as to what the Bible says about this situation. I’m a great rolemodel for the kids and they love me as I do them. 

Also what if I was to have a child with my partner?

Hi Jason.

You have come to a Christian forum. Welcome.

You would understand that we try our best to obey God and His commands which He gave us for our own good, not to harm us, but to protect us from harm and lead us to an eternal life with Him in His coming Kingdom.

I must be honest with you. Sadly for you, who professes to love this woman with children, God calls this union adultery. Scriptures clearly spell out the result of dying in this sin.

Deut.  5:18 Neither shalt thou commit adultery. 

Proverbs 6:32 But whoso committeth adultery with a woman lacketh understanding:8 he that doeth it destroyeth his own soul.

Jesus said, Matthew 5:28 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart. 

And this; Luke 16:18 Whosoever putteth away his wife, and marrieth another, committeth adultery: and whosoever marrieth her that is put away from her husband committeth adultery. 

There are 49 Scriptures in the Bible condemming adultery and adultereres.  God says they that die in adultery will not enter the kingdom of Heaven.