• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  26
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/22/1998

Explain the political organisation of the "sea people" in the time of Joshua. 

I'd appreciate help♡ 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,571
  • Content Per Day:  1.07
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/28/1957

Shalom, Whisperpoetry.

I believe that's speaking of the Phoenicians who were seafaring merchants. They lived in the area frequently  called Tyre and Sidon, "Tsor v'Tsidown," in Hebrew. Tyre was located about 35 miles north of Mt. Carmel and the adjoining city of Haifa, Israel. Sidon was another 20 miles north of Tyre on the coast. Both towns are in Lebanon.

Of course, if this is a reference like Zephaniah 2:5, then we are talking about the Philistines, "P'lishtiym" in Hebrew, "Palestine" in the Roman Empire's Latin, Anglicized. They also lived along the coastline in what is now known as the Gaza Strip. Gaza, or rather `Aza, is one of the five chief cities of the Philistines. As noted in Zeph. 2:5, they were descendants of Crete. The word "Cherethites" in the KJV is "Kreetiym" in Hebrew, pronounced "cray'-teem".

I should also mention that Wikipedia has this to say:

The Sea Peoples are a purported seafaring confederation that attacked ancient Egypt and other regions of the East Mediterranean prior to and during the Late Bronze Age collapse (1200–900 BC).[1][2] Following the creation of the concept in the nineteenth century, it became one of the most famous chapters of Egyptian history, given its connection with, in the words of Wilhelm Max Müller: "the most important questions of ethnography and the primitive history of classic nations."[3][4] Their origins uncertain, the various Sea Peoples have been proposed to have originated from places that include western Asia Minor, the Aegean, the Mediterranean islands, and Southern Europe.[5] Although the archaeological inscriptions do not include reference to a migration,[2] the Sea Peoples are conjectured to have sailed around the eastern Mediterranean and invaded Anatolia, Syria, Phoenicia, Canaan, Cyprus, and Egypt toward the end of the Bronze Age.[6]

Context will make a difference.

Edited by Retrobyter
to acknowledge this was to be in the time of Joshua

• 3 years later...

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  107
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  0

It would be very helpful to cite the scripture-in Joshua-where "sea people" are mentioned.