IGNORED

A ponderment . . . Ever notice how . . .

Omegaman 3.0

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  57
  • Topic Count:  1,546
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  10,320
  • Content Per Day:  1.42
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  11/05/1951

Ever notice how often people here say:

"Scripture clearly states . . . "

when they are trying to buttress an argument where it is not clear at all, or else they would not need to point it out?

• Thumbs Up 3

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,412
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Hi,  Well no  haven't really noticed that, least not as a problem if they actually quote the scriptures they reference as being clear to them .  I will have to look closer I guess. One did say they never state an opinion, only fact. I found that humorous, least I think they were being very funny.

If I am to think it through, should not "one" buttress conclusion with the means  used to reach the conclusion? I kinda appreciate opportunity to see the pathway  another has made to read, pray, and think upon, scriptures and then have and  share of their own  personal insight.

The process of conclusion with  notation of how it has been  reached helps stimulate my own mind, encouraging me to be reading within the Bible doing a chain search maybe and then praying on the subject myself. I kinda like it.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  2

2 hours ago, Omegaman 3.0 said:

when they are trying to buttress an argument where it is not clear at all, or else they would not need to point it out?

I've noted that this phrase also at times precedes strongly held convictions (and perhaps critical matters of faith) for some that they simply cannot accept that another opinion, interpretation, or outlook is even possible without rejecting scripture or God.  This phrase (and similar ones) are usually a red flag to me that this person may not be open to any dialog on that topic, and that anyone disagreeing is perhaps viewed as a heretic, unbeliever, wolf, or willful sinner who needs to be forcefully dealt with.

Once I see a phrase like this, I keep in the back of my mind that we've perhaps left the realm of actual dialog and entered the realm of inquisition to determine who the "real" Christians are.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • This is Worthy 2

Ha, maybe much like that Ethiopian eunuch I may read, but yet not inderstand unless someone explain it to me, hopefully someone sent of God for that very purpose ( And see, how wonderful the opening question with it's declaration has me on a bit of a study already this AM ). Thanks!

"Now an angel of the Lord said to Philip, “Rise and go toward the south to the road that goes down from Jerusalem to Gaza.” This is a desert place.  And he rose and went. And there was an Ethiopian, a eunuch, a court official of Candace, queen of the Ethiopians, who was in charge of all her treasure. He had come to Jerusalem to worship  and was returning, seated in his chariot, and he was reading the prophet Isaiah.  And the Spirit said to Philip, “Go over and join this chariot.”  So Philip ran to him and heard him reading Isaiah the prophet and asked, “Do you understand what you are reading?” And he said, “How can I, unless someone guides me?” And he invited Philip to come up and sit with him. Now the passage of the Scripture that he was reading was this:

“Like a sheep he was led to the slaughter
    and like a lamb before its shearer is silent,
    so he opens not his mouth.
 In his humiliation justice was denied him.
    Who can describe his generation?
For his life is taken away from the earth.”

And the eunuch said to Philip, “About whom, I ask you, does the prophet say this, about himself or about someone else?”  Then Philip opened his mouth, and beginning with this Scripture he told him the good news about Jesus. And as they were going along the road they came to some water, and the eunuch said, “See, here is water! What prevents me from being baptized?” And he commanded the chariot to stop, and they both went down into the water, Philip and the eunuch, and he baptized him.  And when they came up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord carried Philip away, and the eunuch saw him no more, and went on his way rejoicing. But Philip found himself at Azotus, and as he passed through he preached the gospel to all the towns until he came to Caesarea."

3 minutes ago, GandalfTheWise said:

Once I see a phrase like this, I keep in the back of my mind that we've perhaps left the realm of actual dialog and entered the realm of inquisition to determine who the "real" Christians are.

Ah, that is a different understanding isn't it, if one is using their declaration  in an attempt to shut off any dissent or contrary  information?  I guess that one then falls into the realm of Festinger with his cognative dissonance theory; his idea that it is common  and natural to accept that with agrees with what one already has reached a decision about, and to reject out of hand all that differs from that conclusion reached already.

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  21
  • Topic Count:  237
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  6,773
  • Content Per Day:  3.24
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/23/1954

4 hours ago, Omegaman 3.0 said:

Clearly this bothers you, Omegaman 3.0. It's a way of emphasising a point. These are called memes, as you may know and be clear about already. 

eg. There are at least 25  truly, truly, (verily, verily) statements by Jesus in the Gospels.

"Truly, truly, I say unto you, The Son can do nothing of himself, but what he sees the Father do: for what things soever he does, these also does the Son likewise." (John 5:19)

2 minutes ago, Yowm said:

Scripture is clear, it's our foggy brains that smears the window pane.

Even the apostle of God clearly states that  ( LOL)

"Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing. And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing. Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,  Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil; Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth; Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.

Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.For we know in part, and we prophesy in part. But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.

When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things. For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am knownAnd now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity."

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,015
  • Content Per Day:  1.34
  • Days Won:  3

I've not noticed the phrase, but I've noticed the attitude. :D

And yet it is possible to give such an attitude it's lead, let it go where it will want to go, knowing there is no victory to be had in countering it with venonmous retort. Instead there is victory in Christ by remembering and putting into practice:

"A soft answer turns away wrath,
    but a harsh word stirs up anger.
 The tongue of the wise commends knowledge,
    but the mouths of fools pour out folly.
 The eyes of the Lord are in every place,
    keeping watch on the evil and the good.
 A gentle tongue is a tree of life,
    but perverseness in it breaks the spirit."

and if one one needs think of it this way in order to let an affront pass on by, it works well too;

"If your enemy is hungry, give him bread to eat,
    and if he is thirsty, give him water to drink,
 for you will heap burning coals on his head,
    and the Lord will reward you."

Edited by Neighbor
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  65
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,568
  • Content Per Day:  1.40
  • Days Won:  7

On 9/10/2018 at 2:17 AM, Omegaman 3.0 said:

Hey Omega,

Good question.

I look forward to reading responses to this post.

Hope you have a great day. God bless.