Debp

Man Killed by Policewoman in His Own Apartment

1 minute ago, one.opinion said:

Do you think it will look better or worse to a jury if she has perjured herself?

The jury will hopefully take into account all the evidence.

7 minutes ago, Equippers said:

i can relate to this

i was destroyed by bunch of false testimonies today......

I'm sorry to hear that, it must be very difficult.

In Guyger's case, though, she is the one that gave the sworn testimony.

1 minute ago, Yowm said:

The jury will hopefully take into account all the evidence.

I hope they do, as well.

• Thanks 1

I usually stand with the idea that the news is fake and the details come out later that prove, once again, the leftist media lied. However what limited knowledge i have about this, and being from texas and knowing the laws here the police officer is guilty, at least for negligent homicide. 

In texas if someone enters your home after dark, you can peel caps until it goes click and MOST of the time you dont even go to jail.  However this was not her home and so this part of the law does not apply.  In Texas you are responsible for every bullet fired.  there is an attorney attached to every bullet.  I didnt mean to does not hold water in a Texas courthouses, and this applies to LEO's also...  even in the case of over penetration of a discharged round.  Also, since it was technically not her habitation, if the man did not respond to commands dont matter either.  If someone is not a direct threat to life or safety, deadly force is not authorized.  In texas if someone is just standing a fair distance away from you holding a knife by their side... or even thrusting it at you, but they are far enough away from you they cant harm you... and they are not approaching, deadly force is not authorized.  if they are coming towards you or they raise the knife in a way that it can be thrown at you or become a projectile then the use of deadly force is authorized.  On top of all this cops are not to be held unaccountable for negligence.  all of this is texas law, and i am very well aware of it because I use a shotgun for home defense, which is at the top of the list of weapons that can and do over penetrate.  I have researched these laws diligently.  Another key thing in Texas in using deadly force is if you felt your life was in danger.  People have gone to prison because they shot someone once or twice... in their home and stopped the threat.  the judge ruled that because there were still rounds in the weapon unfired they were not in fear of their life. 

My question is, she saw the man but not that the furniture was different, or that it was not her apartment?  is this tuna or mackerel i smell?

If a civilian did this it would be open and shut case.  It seems like to me there are some wanting a free pass because its a cop.   the law is the law. 

no matter how you slice this...even in the least, its negligence.  Law enforcement is to be above this, especially in this manner. 

1 hour ago, Cletus said:

I usually stand with the idea that the news is fake and the details come out later that prove, once again, the leftist media lied.

It would be my tendency, especially with such a hot topic, to wait for conclusive details to be presented, as well. But Guyger’s sworn testimony in this case leads me to believe that she was clearly at fault in Jean’s death.

It feels a little weird, but I find myself agreeing with you 100%, Cletus! I think I like it!

Edited by one.opinion
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

On 9/11/2018 at 2:37 PM, Yowm said:

What happened to the 'innocent until proven guilty' line of justice we are afforded here in the U.S.?

That is in a court of law, the court of public opinion has no such rules. 

On the other hand, if I happened to be armed, and went into my residence and found a stranger there in the dark, I would close the door, a person being somewhere, is not an excuse to take their life, in my opinion. I would call the police, and let them handle it. If I was the police, I would call for backup. I am not going to deprive someone of life, or children of their father, a wife of her husband, a mother and father of their so, nor even friends of their friend, just because by stuff was at risk. 

Shooting at someone, is an invitation to be shot back at, fleeing is safer. If I were a frail, arthritic, 90 pound granny who could not run, I might think differently. I police person, should use her training, As far as I know, failure to respond to a command by a police officer, is not a capital crime, nor justification to shoot someone, though it might be to draw your gun.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Omegaman 3.0 said:
On 9/11/2018 at 2:37 PM, Yowm said:

What happened to the 'innocent until proven guilty' line of justice we are afforded here in the U.S.?

That is in a court of law, the court of public opinion has no such rules. 

I had responded to this...

she should be convicted of involuntary manslaughter at the very least.

On this board, it is all opinion, including the news sources. It's in a court of law  that hopefully the facts are disclosed.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, one.opinion said:

It would be my tendency, especially with such a hot topic, to wait for conclusive details to be presented, as well. But Guyger’s sworn testimony in this case leads me to believe that she was clearly at fault in Jean’s death.

It feels a little weird, but I find myself agreeing with you 100%, Cletus! I think I like it!

she made a mistake and someone is dead.  its negligible homicide.  from what i have read, and based on texas law thats what it is.  If i was on a jury that is what I would lean towards.   it irks me that cops are to be held to higher standards but when they do mess up they are usually given a light sentence, but if i did that they would lock me up and throw away the key.  

not all cops, but a good many of them are way to trigger happy these days.   in police type work you are supposed to think first and then shoot and they train that way.  assess before firing.  sounds like panic to me.  someone with that mindset does not have what it takes to do that job.  not to be judgmental or condemning but not everyone is cut out to be a cop, just like not everyone is cut out to be a construction worker.

• Thumbs Up 1

What happened is tragic. No question there. I dont know what the law is in texas so I cant say what she should be charged with. If she is guilty of breaking a law that anyone else would get charged with in the same circumstances, then she clearly needs to be charged with it.

I do think the police dept needs to review their policies because she was exhausted from a 15 hour shift. That does not excuse her, but it does make for dangerous conditions that may spark other errors in judgment that harm the public in any situation. 

Was she trigger happy? Hard to say. But there has been multiple planned attacks against cops. In my city, there have been ambushes against cops. Same for other cities. So in a way I can understand her quickness to fire. I am not excusing it though. Jean should have been safe in his own apartment and not get shot or die at her hands. He deserves justice.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Loved it! 1

This was a tragic accident & the court will be privy to all the info that we are not. I wonder about her mental state or whether she was competent and fit to be an officer in the first place because she made a number of reckless errors in judgment that lead to the fatal shooting of an innocent young man. It's a highly stressful job and lot of cops are suffering from PTSD and shouldn't be working without some sort of assessment & treatment. They have been targeted in the last few years also, which has just increased the intensity of job stress & can lead to a a state of hyper vigilance bordering on paranoia. 

• Thumbs Up 1