• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  65
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,568
  • Content Per Day:  1.39
  • Days Won:  7

Hi guys,

Thanks so much for taking the time to read and possibly respond. 

I have been wondering who has had the greatest impact in our lives. And what was it about that person that made a difference?

I would say for myself,  that my mom was an amazing example to me of someone who loved the Lord and lived what she believed.

I have probably said this before but she was a woman who I saw faithfully reading the Bible and praying. 

I have always appreciated her enthusiasm for prayer for others, without allowing it to become a time for gossip. 

I look forward to reading what any of you feel comfortable with,  and want to share. 

God bless. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,532
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

Easy, my wife, my helpmate, my love of 50 years.  She impacted my life all the years of her life from the moment we first met.

Yes there are many others but none have come so close in influencing me that I can cast them into the same light for comparison.

Edited by Neighbor
  • Loved it! 3
  • Praise God! 1

• Followers:  24
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,459
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  2

I'm thinking of this question in terms of who had the most spiritual impact on making me who I am today (for better or worse :) ).   

Actually, this is a very difficult question for me to answer because there are so many people who've had impacts of various types on me throughout my life.  That includes both people in real life and authors (living and dead).  It's hard for me to separate out a few individuals as having had the greatest impact.

• Loved it! 3

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,532
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

11 hours ago, GandalfTheWise said:

this question in terms of who had the most spiritual impact

Yep. In same terms  here too.

Edited by Neighbor

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.35
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

Jesus Christ first and foremost .

Paul of tarsas.

John and james sons of Zebedee.

Jude

Peter

Their could be more but I am tired tonight and aint remembering as well.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Loved it! 1

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  18
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  05/04/1977

William Branham. The prophet of Malachi 4:5 

Behold, I will send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the Lord:

By far! 

• Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  1,192
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  7,264
  • Content Per Day:  1.19
  • Days Won:  194

:thumbsup:Excellent topic idea, Annette!

My Mom had a huge impact on my life.

Special memories of her influence include:

Going out to the movies together where she introduced me to the musicals. ( :laugh: Somehow, my dad never 'got it' He thought we were just being 'silly girls' and would laugh about our obsession with them.) 

Mom encouraged my dedication to getting good grades in school and my participation in church. She would beam with pride when as a child, I would recite poems from memory in front of the church for our annual Christmas programs.

Time spent together one-on-one, which makes any child feel special. Such as us making homemade Christmas cookies with assorted metal cookie cutters and her allowing me to be creative in decorating them.

Mom reading to me often, starting at an early age. This instilled a love for books in me.

:) The daily sight of my mother reading the Holy Scriptures faithfully, in her quiet time. This left a real impression on me and I ended up following in her footsteps.

Mom making sure the family went to church every Sunday. This led to me hearing the gospel and asking Jesus to be my Lord and Savior at age 11. It also helped my dad to become saved.

Mom's eagerness to comfort the downcast and to pray for those who needed it...especially me.

Mom gave to others every chance she had, even though she was so poor herself.

Mom could not stand to see anyone abused...be it children, animals or battered women. She would speak out on their behalf.

As I got older, she was especially supportive of my poetry. She would show off the poems I sent her and share their gospel messages with her caretakers at the nursing home. She was so enthused that she wanted for me to publish them. But I explained to her it is a hard thing to do and required money I did not have.

When she became older and developed complex health issues, she went into nursing homes. We grew very close...particularly after my dad passed in 2010. It brought the two of us (who were devastated by his cancer ) together as each others encouragers. We went from mother and daughter to best friends. We talked about daily stuff and best of all, the Lord.    She sweetly read the Bible over the phone to me when I was physically unable to do it for myself.

Her lifelong practice of reading God's word daily went on even when she lost her mobility and was fully confined to the bed at her nursing home. Such a role model for me! She was not ashamed of the gospel. She told the aides and nurses about Jesus. She was a light in a dark place.

Her physical suffering did not diminish her love for God. She retained her heart for Him throughout her many storms. Her recent anoxic brain injury may have robbed her of her ability to speak. But I am convinced that inside her feeble body is the same strong mom who made such a difference in my life. I was told that when her pulse stopped, she went to the brink of death (and required much CPR.) If she could once again speak, Oh- the stories she could tell...    But whichever way you look at it, her life has been a miracle. She has been 'through the mill', yet has retained her testimony for Jesus Christ.:emot-heartbeat: Praise God! I am blessed to have her as my mother.

• Loved it! 2

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,000
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  12/08/1950

Turtletwo, I cannot give only one thumbs up - as I want to give you a lot of "thumbs-up" because I loved your testimony about your mom so much!

On 9/12/2018 at 10:49 AM, GandalfTheWise said:

Actually, this is a very difficult question for me to answer because there are so many people who've had impacts of various types on me throughout my life.  That includes both people in real life and authors (living and dead).  It's hard for me to separate out a few individuals as having had the greatest impact.

I have to agree with Gandalf, Annette.  But if I have to choose  ... some people who gave me the foundations in Christ that I sorely needed once born-again would have to be my first pastors - a wonderful man and his beautiful wife God used to nurture me and bring me up in the ways of the Lord.

• Loved it! 3

• Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,448
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

Another coincidence? This exact question was asked verbatim in our "Bible Studies For Life" booklet from Lifeway just last week in Sunday School.

To answer the question when I think back, it was a number of people, from one of my Pastors and my first Sunday School teacher when a child, to my grandparents. But no doubt it was my grandparents who made the greatest impact on me by their example of Christian living and there prayers to the Lord for me (of which I'll get to).  They greatly influenced my life as a child up until I was in the military at age eighteen. I spent many weekends staying with my grandparents and still remember watching Billy Graham and the Lawrence Welk show with them on TV (age spoiler alert).

You see, from almost the moment I joined the military, my life changed for decades and not for the better, I started living a heathen life; smoking, drinking, cussing and things I'm too ashamed to mention. Life was only about me and the pleasures I could get out of it. This went on for decades and I always felt something or somebody tugging at my heart to repent, change my ways and come back to the Lord. My parents and grandparents knew and seen these rotten changes in me, and I know without doubt my grandparents were in intercessory prayer on my behalf. I could feel the Holy Spirit letting me know what a mess I had become and the path I was on, I had no real lasting joy in my life, but I still rebelled and resisted with everything I had.

Very long story short. I believe the Lord answered my grandparents intercessory prayers for me (praise the Lord). For it was not of myself that I repent and change, but by the Grace of God and His love and mercy. 

Oh the power of prayer! Proverbs 22:6 (KJV) Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.

I had a thought I have not acted on and thought better of it. We give the Lord all the praise, honor and glory. We as Christian's never try to communicate with deceased loved ones for obvious scriptural reasons. Based on my understanding of scripture, I highly suspect those souls in Heaven are overjoyed being their and worshiping our Lord, possibly not aware of earthly things? I can't think of anything in scripture that would address this, but... Would it be wrong / un-scriptural to pray to the Father through our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, to deliver a message to loved ones to thank them for their intercessory prayers? I don't think I've ever run across an answer to that?

Edited by Dennis1209
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 2