IGNORED

A friend asked me: what does it mean "And I will do whatever you ask in my name"?

listener24

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  43
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  650
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Days Won:  0

"And I will do whatever you ask in my name" (John 14:13)

(also Matthew 18:19; Matthew 21:22; Mark 11:24; John 14:13; John 15:7 etc.)

A friend of mine was complaining that the words "whatever you ask" are ambiguous and seem to indicate that any kind of request will be fulfilled by the Father, and he was complaining that it doesn't seem to be the case about a lot of things that Christians asked and weren't fulfilled.

How would you respond? (I already have an idea of a response, but don't want to bias you and want to hear your opinion)

Edited by listener24

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,536
  • Content Per Day:  1.07
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/28/1957

2 hours ago, listener24 said:

A friend of mine was complaining that the words "whatever you ask" are ambiguous and seem to indicate that any kind of request will be fulfilled by the Father, and he was complaining that it doesn't seem to be the case about a lot of things that Christians asked and weren't fulfilled.

How would you respond? (I already have an idea of a response, but don't want to bias you and want to hear your opinion)

Shalom, listener24.

A person's "name" was the means by which a ruler could make his orders effective. It was a way to signify the AUTHORITY behind his orders.

When Yeshua` said, "I will do whatever you ask in my name," He was saying, "I will do whatever you ask on my authority." However, that implies two things: First, it must be something that Yeshua` would wish, and second, it must be something that is important enough for which to invoke His authority. One cannot just wish for anything and expect his or her wish to be instantly fulfilled. That would be counterproductive to God's Will, which Yeshua` will certainly also perform.

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  788
  • Content Per Day:  0.25

22 hours ago, listener24 said:

A lot of people may be under the impression that praying in Jesus' name just means tacking the words "in Jesus' name" onto the end of their prayer!

But as Retrobyter has said, what "in Jesus' name" actually means is "with Jesus' authority". So it certainly doesn't cover anything and everything we might want to pray for!

What things has Jesus authorised us to pray for? The things in the Lord's prayer: the advance of God's Kingdom, our daily bread (necessities, not luxuries), forgiveness of our sins, etc. But not much else.

We can pray for other things, of course, and because our heavenly Father is generous we may well be given them. But they don't fall under this particular promise.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

Joh 15:4  Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me.

Joh 15:5  I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing.

Joh 15:6  If anyone does not abide in me he is thrown away like a branch and withers; and the branches are gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned.

Joh 15:7  If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.

Joh 15:8  By this my Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit and so prove to be my disciples.

Joh 15:9  As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Abide in my love.

Joh 15:10  If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father's commandments and abide in his love.

Joh 15:11  These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full.

Joh 15:12  "This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you.

Joh 15:13  Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends.

Joh 15:14  You are my friends if you do what I command you.

Joh 15:15  No longer do I call you servants, for the servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all that I have heard from my Father I have made known to you.

Joh 15:16  You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit and that your fruit should abide, so that whatever you ask the Father in my name, he may give it to you.

Joh 15:17  These things I command you, so that you will love one another.

• Brilliant! 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  54
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,370
  • Content Per Day:  0.87

On 9/11/2018 at 7:08 PM, listener24 said:

How would you respond?

I would ask that person if they have read the entire bible and if not, do so and then ask the question again.  If they have read the bible, then I would refer them to the book of Ecclesiastes and  here what the wisest man had to say.  Solomon asked God for wisdom and his life was full of riches ect. With all the wisdom and riches he had a dreadful end to his life.  Therefore the Lord knows what we need before we ask.  Here is what he said.

Ecclesiastes 12 King James Version (KJV)

Vanity of vanities, saith the preacher; all is vanity.

13 Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.

Then, I would ask him to go read psalm 1 and meditate on it for a while. 

Matthew 7 King James Version (KJV)

For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.

Or what man is there of you, whom if his son ask bread, will he give him a stone?

10 Or if he ask a fish, will he give him a serpent?

11 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?

Colossians 3 King James Version (KJV)

If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God.

Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.

For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  7,776
  • Content Per Day:  2.42
  • Days Won:  3

On 9/11/2018 at 7:08 PM, listener24 said:

When Jesus found the disciples they worship according to the old, the Mosaic Law and the Temple. 

If you search their Law you will find how they were making petitions and how they were asking things from the Lord and their God. 

They needed the Temple and the Priests and their sacrifices and their gifts and so on...

During their time with Jesus those things continued till the Cross, just about calling upon the name of their Lord their God, praying they had to turned towards the Temple in Jerusalem and there was only one Temple and this was the house of their God. 

Jesus began to tell them that this form of worship is coming to the end. 

He was telling them about the distraction of the Temple.....

About Zahariah not having any son to continue in the duties in the Temple- 

As it was promish to Aaron from the beginning-, that the Priests will have males to continue the office of the priesthood-

The words if the prophet- let another take over the bisoship , in his place-. 

This sign was from God to anounce the end of the Aaroning priesthood...

Jonh eventually went in the dessert and was given another mission to pronounced the coming of the new High Priest among other things....

Also Jesus prepared the disciples by saying - soon you will worship in the new way -in spirit and in truth-

So the time came that Jesus told them - 

Do not asked anything in the old way as you and your fathers did , this way has finish, even thought you will see the people continued in the worship of the old , it is finish for God, it has no value, there is no spiritual value in the Temple and the Priesthood is no more God's Priesthood...

It is a bdeligma unto God...an offence....

So the disciples were given the instructions how to pray and ask petitions from God. 

First he told them 

-all authority has been given unto me from God in all things -

The Temple and the Priesthood has nothing from God - 

He said the same thing Paul said to the Gentiles. 

All you need is Jesus..

Do not asked anything from the old way...

Philip who had gone back to worshiping the old way after the death of Jesus renounced the old way when Jesus appeared to him after the resuraction and said to Jesus: 

(No more the old) 

-You are my Lord and my God-

The disciples were very special and had been given dangerous missions.- 

As sheeps among wolfs...

So Jesus told them that he gave them special powers and special protection and nothing will hurt them before the appointed time...

They will poisson you in your ignorance, but you live and it won't hurm you and your foes will be puzzled like the priest of Farrao . 

Do not be afraid of their priest and magicians.

-you will troumple upon scorpions and snakes, thats how he call the Gods of the ocult, of the Gentiles....

He told them he will provide for all their needs....

He said that to them and to who also said to anyone else he has call for dificult missions.

Those are also instructions for us....

BUT NOT TO TAKE UPON OUR SELF TO IMITATE THE DISCIPLES. 

we have to humble our selfs 

I understand the prayers of faith....

But not to act without discerment....

The disciples then new not to imitate Peter .

The did not look for paralytic people to say and do what Peter did...

They new it was given to Peter and not to them...

I understand the prayer of faith...

Even the disciples who were killed..

James and Stephen it was not because they did not believe.....

Peter's shadow healed many , but this was a one time miracle and the Lord did it for a reason , Peter did not asked for it and did not order people to wait and stand under his shadow, and was not repeated....

Even Paul's handkerchiefs did not healed the sick the rest of his life, but it happen when it happened!!!..

Not to take it upon our selfs to imitate but if its given is given and when....

If we do it for egocentric and who knows what else reason even for love for the sick, and there is not reasult the faith of many will be shatter...

And may have negative reasults....

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  6
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

@Deborah_ 

"What things has Jesus authorised us to pray for? The things in the Lord's prayer: the advance of God's Kingdom, our daily bread (necessities, not luxuries), forgiveness of our sins, etc. But not much else."

I totally do agree with you. Jesus taught us how to pray.

7 And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. 
8 Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him. 
9 “This, then, is how you should pray: “ ‘Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name, 
10your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. 
11 Give us today our daily bread. 
12 And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. 
13 And lead us not into temptation,but deliver us from the evil one. 

I  don't think that is wrong to pray for something else but always remembering not to "put God to test" doing that. 

5 Then the devil took him to the holy city and had him stand on the highest point of the temple. 
6 “If you are the Son of God,” he said, “throw yourf down. For it is written: “ ‘He will command his angels concerning you, and they will lift you up in their hands, so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.’  
7 Jesus answered him, “It is also written: ‘Do not put the Lord your God to the test.’
this is what I think. God bless you all. ☺️

• Thanks 1