Debp

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,010
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,206
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  92

Just wondering if anyone else is interested in the work of indigenous pastors and missionaries?  If so, do you have any particular areas of the world you are interested in?

I especially have an interest in underground work in Muslim countries.   Also, because I visited Asia I am also interested in that area.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  893
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  1

hi

I hope it is ok to ask.. but what does the term indigenous missionaries mean?     does it mean Christians from one people group / ethnicity /culture..  sharing the gospel with non-Christians from a different people group / ethnicity / culture.. in their same country?  .. Or does it mean all people from a country doing ministry work there such as evangelists etc.. regardless of whether the people mostly being reached out to are from their same ethnicity / people group.. or a different one?

Sorry I hope my question makes some sense lol.  I usually think of the term 'missionary' as people from one country going to a different country etc.  So am a bit wondering what the exact term definition is. 

Thanks for your patience :)

Edited by just_abc
  • Loved it! 1

12 minutes ago, just_abc said:

hi

I hope it is ok to ask.. but what does the term indigenous missionaries mean?     does it mean Christians from one people group / ethnicity /culture..  sharing the gospel with non-Christians from a different people group / ethnicity / culture.. in their same country?  .. Or does it mean all people from a country doing ministry work there such as evangelists etc.. regardless of whether the people mostly being reached out to are from their same ethnicity / people group.. or a different one?

Sorry I hope my question makes some sense lol.  I usually think of the term 'missionary' as people from one country going to a different country etc.  So am a bit wondering what the exact term definition is. 

Thanks for your patience :)

Hi, don't worry, it's ok to ask!  Indigenous means "native" people of a particular country reaching people in their own country.   That is people that are Indians are reaching Indians, Bangladeshis would minister and share the Gospel with other Bangladeshis, etc.  You can be a missionary in your own country.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Followers:  14
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,204
  • Content Per Day:  0.97

1 hour ago, just_abc said:

I hope it is ok to ask.. but what does the term indigenous missionaries mean?

Indigenous church mission theory..Thus the church becomes indigenous. It becomes self-supporting, self-propagating and self-governing.

the Indigenous Missionary

A dictionary definition of indigenous is "native to a specific area" -- so an indigenous missionary, would be a person who shares his or her faith with their own people.

The indigenous missionary has a great advantage over foreign-born missionaries, because he or she fully understands the language and culture, and is therefore more effective in leading people to Christ.

One of the reasons for the major growth in Christianity among minority groups, is the sense of dignity and worth that indigenous broadcasters offer them.

People from these groups, grapple with persecution and discrimination most of their lives … but when they hear a radio message spoken in their own mother tongue, it validates them. Many minority groups see the broadcasts as their only means of Christian instruction and fellowship.

• Loved it! 1

44 minutes ago, Debp said:

Hi, don't worry, it's ok to ask!  Indigenous means "native" people of a particular country reaching people in their own country.   

Ok thanks very much.  If I may ask another question.. I am guessing in this thread the term 'indigenous' is refering to citizenship and not ethnicity/people group ? 

i.e the term 'indigenous pastors' in this thread is refering to all pastors who are citizens of a particular country.. and not only to those who are from indigenous people groups?

I am asking partly because in countries like mine there are indigenous people groups .. as well as those whose ancestors immigrated to this country..  So depending on the context..the term 'indigenous' might refer to those who are from indigenous people groups (for example like the Sioux or Navajo etc in the USA).. and not necessarily to all citizens.

So thanks very much for explaining.

And thanks again for your patience :)

• Loved it! 1

16 minutes ago, Gary Lee said:

A dictionary definition of indigenous is "native to a specific area" -- 

hi Gary

Thanks very much for explaining.

:)

Edited by just_abc

7 hours ago, Gary Lee said:

Indigenous church mission theory..Thus the church becomes indigenous. It becomes self-supporting, self-propagating and self-governing.

the Indigenous Missionary

A dictionary definition of indigenous is "native to a specific area" -- so an indigenous missionary, would be a person who shares his or her faith with their own people.

The indigenous missionary has a great advantage over foreign-born missionaries, because he or she fully understands the language and culture, and is therefore more effective in leading people to Christ.

One of the reasons for the major growth in Christianity among minority groups, is the sense of dignity and worth that indigenous broadcasters offer them.

People from these groups, grapple with persecution and discrimination most of their lives … but when they hear a radio message spoken in their own mother tongue, it validates them. Many minority groups see the broadcasts as their only means of Christian instruction and fellowship.

Many indigenous pastors/missionaries and their churches are not self-supporting because they are too poor.    Many are in poverty stricken countries so that is why missions such as Christian Aid Mission seek to funnel funds from the richer Western Christians to the poor indigenous Christians.   If an indigenous pastor/missionary receives support from us, he can totally concentrate on his ministry work reaching the people and helping them to grow

There are all sorts of ministry going on by indigenous Christians, not just radio broadcasts.   Besides evangelism and church planting, there are Bible colleges, orphanages, hospitals, work with lepers, Christian outreach camps and conferences, reaching out to Muslim and other refugees with the compassion of Christ and basic material needs which leads to them knowing Jesus.   Some ministries even help former Muslims to flee the death or bodily harm threats of their families or communities.    Poor Christians are sometimes helped to establish a tiny business so they can provide for their families.  

7 hours ago, just_abc said:

Ok thanks very much.  If I may ask another question.. I am guessing in this thread the term 'indigenous' is refering to citizenship and not ethnicity/people group ? 

i.e the term 'indigenous pastors' in this thread is refering to all pastors who are citizens of a particular country.. and not only to those who are from indigenous people groups?

I am asking partly because in countries like mine there are indigenous people groups .. as well as those whose ancestors immigrated to this country..  So depending on the context..the term 'indigenous' might refer to those who are from indigenous people groups (for example like the Sioux or Navajo etc in the USA).. and not necessarily to all citizens.

So thanks very much for explaining.

And thanks again for your patience :)

Yes, I am referring to all native pastors of a particular country being indigenous for this thread.   I find alot of people don't realize the great work being done by them...all they need is financial help from wealthier Christians.   Even a small amount of money to us is alot of money in other parts of  the world.

Btw, your avatar looks Arabic...may I ask your country?  You can pm me if you don't want to say it here.  Thanks!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  1.58
  • Days Won:  15

13 hours ago, Debp said:

Hi, don't worry, it's ok to ask!  Indigenous means "native" people of a particular country reaching people in their own country.   That is people that are Indians are reaching Indians, Bangladeshis would minister and share the Gospel with other Bangladeshis, etc.  You can be a missionary in your own country.

It is curious though how missions usually gets fervor when it’s to a culture and country other than our own. For instance if a person who lives in England seeks to raise funds to do mission work in England there it very little response, but if they mention Africa, India, or Syria, suddenly there is donations. 

Indigenous missions can be very difficult because the benefactors often sadly, want the novelty of helping orphans in Ukraine than in their own backyard. There is now Asia and Africa is sending missionaries to America; which kinds proves my suspicion; missions are easier to raise support for if it’s to another culture and people. 

-  deleted by poster

Edited by just_abc

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  1.58
  • Days Won:  15

2 hours ago, Yowm said:

It could be that typically missionary work is thought to involve areas where the Gospel has never been heard....

and thus I make it my ambition to preach the gospel, not where Christ has already been named, lest I build on someone else's foundation, but as it is written, “Those who have never been told of him will see, and those who have never heard will understand.”
(Rom 15:20-21)

True, but England and Europe need Christ badly. They are a “dry and thirsty land.” Perhaps this is why Asia and Africa are sending missionaries to the West, to stoke the zeal for the Lord that has gone cold, especially in Europe.