IGNORED

In need of prayers and just a few words of support.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  5
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

My mother died in my brothers arms on July 30th of last year, and him and myself,  after Mom's burial, had to move into an apartment and take care of my grandfather full time (He had dementia, just recently diagnosed). While we were doing that, my uncle spent all of my mother's life insurance money (the leftovers from her funeral) on his bills, leaving us with no money other than my grandfather's pension and Social Security. On March the 5th of this year, after a long fight with a septic infection, my grandfather died as well, leaving me and my brother as the last of our family. My uncle then blamed my brother and I for our grandpa's death, even though the doctors said we did nothing wrong, and proceeded to disconnect part of our utilities and take all of our Papaw's life insurance, land, and even our car, and left us destitute. We've been trying to look for jobs, and my brother started therapy and has been diagnosed with severe PTSD and depression, but no jobs are available in a small town like the one we live in. We're BARELY making it now, even less so since our apartments AC has been out since April and the portable unit the complex brought us tripled our electric bill. We get $150 a month from child support backpay from our father and that's it. The bills are always over $180 every month, so we flounder trying to pay them and get household things, food, etc. We've been to food pantries this month and last month already, and we can only go once a month and have already exhausted those. It's just...a lot, and it's hard to stay strong during it all. I just don't know what to do when we have nothing and right now. I feel like there's nowhere to turn, especially with another bill being due that we have to pay when we can't even afford groceries and necessities right now. I just feel...hopeless and lost. 

• Loved it! 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  37
  • Topic Count:  533
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  32,399
  • Content Per Day:  4.99
  • Days Won:  206
  • Birthday:  02/23/1953

Praying for you both It is hard to help with any advice as each country has so many different rules etc but can you not find a lawyer who would help you to reclaim from your uncle ? Here in the Uk you would be able to claim social security and help finding jobs but I am aware that each country differs :emot-pray:

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  332
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  0

Small town... Are there farms nearby? They typically don't pay all that much, but you could maybe try looking around. I don't think it would be an option for your brother given his conditions, and you'd have to hope and pray you don't get stuck in a combat role, but the armed forces are also an option; they really pay piddly-squat, but they do have support programs. If you get a non-combat role, you could perhaps get specialized training and land a solid well-paying private sector job when you're not in-service.

I wouldn't be especially fond of either of those, were I you. Farm work is hard and low-paying, as is the military, and the military also comes with a level of expectation and responsiblity that i'd think would make most (if not all) folks hesitate. 

You could also look into jobs in nearby towns. If there really aren't any job prospects nearby, i'd just get ready to go elsewhere. Sell the property and use the money sparingly to get to a better area. That's... Certainly not much of an option, but when worst comes to worst, there isn't much else left to lose.

I guess I don't know what to say, exactly, but i'll be sure to keep both you and your brother in my prayers. I hope things work out for you.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,010
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,205
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  92

18 hours ago, AllyB said:

My mother died in my brothers arms on July 30th of last year, and him and myself,  after Mom's burial, had to move into an apartment and take care of my grandfather full time (He had dementia, just recently diagnosed). While we were doing that, my uncle spent all of my mother's life insurance money (the leftovers from her funeral) on his bills, leaving us with no money other than my grandfather's pension and Social Security. On March the 5th of this year, after a long fight with a septic infection, my grandfather died as well, leaving me and my brother as the last of our family. My uncle then blamed my brother and I for our grandpa's death, even though the doctors said we did nothing wrong, and proceeded to disconnect part of our utilities and take all of our Papaw's life insurance, land, and even our car, and left us destitute. We've been trying to look for jobs, and my brother started therapy and has been diagnosed with severe PTSD and depression, but no jobs are available in a small town like the one we live in. We're BARELY making it now, even less so since our apartments AC has been out since April and the portable unit the complex brought us tripled our electric bill. We get $150 a month from child support backpay from our father and that's it. The bills are always over $180 every month, so we flounder trying to pay them and get household things, food, etc. We've been to food pantries this month and last month already, and we can only go once a month and have already exhausted those. It's just...a lot, and it's hard to stay strong during it all. I just don't know what to do when we have nothing and right now. I feel like there's nowhere to turn, especially with another bill being due that we have to pay when we can't even afford groceries and necessities right now. I just feel...hopeless and lost. 

Most towns have free legal aid services...check into that and talk to a lawyer.  I don't see how your uncle can take the life insurance unless he was the sole beneficiary on your grandfather's policy.   The same goes for the land and the car....these things have deeds and titles.... you can't just take things.

If for some reason you can't talk to a lawyer, maybe you can talk to the police to see if your uncle is doing something illegal.

Your brother might be able to get Social Security Disability/SSI each month if he has PTSD and depression.  He should talk to his therapist about this.   I hope he is also mentioning the problems with your uncle.... perhaps the therapist can direct you to someone like a lawyer to help you.

As dr3032 mentioned, the military is an option for you, if you are a younger person...or slightly older but in good shape to get through boot camp.  My female cousin joined the Air Force and she got excellent training as an x-ray technician.  She even met her husband in the Air Force...they trained him in computers.   Both of them now have excellent jobs outside of the military.