Debp

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,015
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,277
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  92

I kept hearing that people were all told to evacuate and that they couldn't be helped in an emergency if they stayed.  However, on yesterday's news I saw alot of people having to be rescued from flooded areas.   Do these people just not listen or are they somehow unable to get further inland?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  15
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,371
  • Content Per Day:  1.36
  • Days Won:  5

A lot of people live paycheque to paycheque and have nowhere else to go and no money to pay for lodgings away from home, so I'm guessing that might be a factor in some cases.

Thankful at least that the hurricane downgraded to a Category 2 before it made landfall, it could have been even worse....thanks be to God for that.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Loved it! 1

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Content Count:  5,240
  • Content Per Day:  2.11
  • Days Won:  4

3 hours ago, Debp said:

I kept hearing that people were all told to evacuate and that they couldn't be helped in an emergency if they stayed.  However, on yesterday's news I saw alot of people having to be rescued from flooded areas.   Do these people just not listen or are they somehow unable to get further inland?

As a resident of the Texas coast, I’ve seen people refuse to evacuate for a variety of reasons. Some are just plain hard-headed. Others are exactly like @Heleadethme described - simply unable to evacuate. Others are more worried about evacuating than hunkering down. In 2005, just a few weeks after Katrina devastated the Louisiana coast, Hurricane Rita threatened the Houston metropolitan area. Nearly 4 million people were trying to evacuate through a sustem of highways that just wasn’t built for that kind of capacity. People were stuck on these highways, unable to move through the gridlock for up to 24 hours, inadequately prepared with food or water. A major heat wave made the entire situation worse and deadly. The Houston Chronicle estimated that 107 people died during the evacuation, making it much deadlier than the horrendous floods of Harvey last year. TexDoT has done a major amount of work in enabling the road system to support more evacuees in the future, but it is a difficult thing to move that many people safely inland.

It appears that the east coast learned from that tragedy. The Carolinas started evacuation earlier and with much better results. The comparison isn’t quite the same without a major metropolitan area the size of Houston, but they did a good job.

As well as the preparation was carried out, there is still a sizable percentage of the population in any evacuation that is eaither unwilling or unable to get out - mandatory or not.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Brilliant! 1
  • Thanks 1

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  950
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,532
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

4 hours ago, Debp said:

Many are stubborn, some have become jaded to the alerts having been through storms before that were each hyped as catastrophic events coming, but were not all that bad. Even this one hyped as Cat.4 did not pack the wind at landfall that was hyped.

Some of us feel quite safe at our own homes more so than being on the road with a million other  new refugees seeking a safe place to stop at.

We were told this is the big one last year, this is the one that will get us if we stay. But just where am I going? The effects of the storm will hit most any place within 800 miles of me anywy.I might even drive right into  more storm. So we sit hunker down, or in my case sit in a family owned house on a lake built to 140mph wind load standard with 150 rated windows and just watch the lake do it's thing. Then afterward we all get out with rakes shovls saws and pile up the debri from the whole street back at my own old home that has ridden out nearly fifty years of storms with no problem, and we all wait for the power to come back on or we fire up our generators. The power was on in a week, boring but no big deal.

Can't do that with a earthquake. it's shake rattle and roll till stuff breaks. Having been in many of each I'd sooner take on the hurricane. - and say how can anybody live in California, especially So Cal especially Los Angeles, don't they know?....LOL

My mother used to call me from So Cal all worried about the storms on the weather channel here in Fl. Suncoast. I'd say; Really?  It is sunny and hot to0 hot to go sailing today so we are just sucking up air conditioning, any earthquakes out there today? She'd say; But the news the weather channel says.... I'd ask how many of the products they were selling that day she had considered buying?  They are selling soap mom that's all . They need to dramatize storms so people will watch the soap ads. Look at the reporter on the street shouting about the great flood he is standing in. You can see his ankles you can see the curb on the street . It is't nearly as bad as a slight rain closing 101 at Wilmington under the Harbor freeway. She say aren't you preparing? I'd say  no need there are no earth quakes here. How you doing any tremors today? It was nice to banter back and forth her so cal versus my suncoast and which is better- Fun memories. 

As to people running from storms hey lots of luck to you all on the road running out of fuel, as for me  I have food, water, defense, and great neighbors, we just pitch in and clean up after a big-un.

Edited by Neighbor
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Brilliant! 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.35
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

2 hours ago, Heleadethme said:

A lot of people live paycheque to paycheque and have nowhere else to go and no money to pay for lodgings away from home, so I'm guessing that might be a factor in some cases.

Thankful at least that the hurricane downgraded to a Category 2 before it made landfall, it could have been even worse....thanks be to God for that.

Sister I had nearly forgotten that canda is heavily influenced by French language .   You would think I would have remembered that due to part of my family lived up

their a few generations back .   The French influenced English language heavy for a few hundred years .  it is why our old way of spelling cwen was replaced with QUEEN.

I suppose that is why paycheck , you spelled as paycheque .      You loved sister .   AND GOD IS WITH HIS OWN .     OH praise the LORD everyone .  PRAISE the LORD .

• Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.35
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

37 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

Many are stubborn, some have become jaded to the alerts having been through storms before that were each hyped as catastrophic events coming, but were not all that bad. Even this one hyped as Cat.4 did not pack the wind at landfall that was hyped.

Some of us feel quite safe at our own homes more so than being on the road with a million other  new refugees seeking a safe place to stop at.

We were told this is the big one last year, this is the one that will get us if we stay. But just where am I going? The effects of the storm will hit most any place within 800 miles of me anywy.I might even drive right into  more storm. So we sit hunker down, or in my case sit in a family owned house on a lake built to 140mph wind load standard with 150 rated windows and just watch the lake do it's thing. Then afterward we all get out with rakes shovls saws and pile up the debri from the whole street back at my own old home that has ridden out nearly fifty years of storms with no problem, and we all wait for the power to come back on or we fire up our generators. The power was on in a week, boring but no big deal.

Can't do that with a earthquake. it's shake rattle and roll till stuff breaks. Having been in many of each I'd sooner take on the hurricane. - and say how can anybody live in California, especially So Cal especially Los Angeles, don't they know?....LOL

My mother used to call me from So Cal all worried about the storms on the weather channel here in Fl. Suncoast. I'd say; Really?  It is sunny and hot to0 hot to go sailing today so we are just sucking up air conditioning, any earthquakes out there today? She'd say; But the news the weather channel says.... I'd ask how many of the products they were selling that day she had considered buying?  They are selling soap mom that's all . They need to dramatize storms so people will watch the soap ads. Look at the reporter on the street shouting about the great flood he is standing in. You can see his ankles you can see the curb on the street . It is't nearly as bad as a slight rain closing 101 at Wilmington under the Harbor freeway. She say aren't you preparing? I'd say  no need there are no earth quakes here. How you doing any tremors today? It was nice to banter back and forth her so cal versus my suncoast and which is better- Fun memories. 

As to people running from storms hey lots of luck to you all on the road running out of fuel, as for me  I have food, water, defense, and great neighbors, we just pitch in and clean up after a big-un. 

HERE lets rewrite that as it should have been said and give GOD the GLORY .

As to people running from storms hey lots of speed to you all on the road running out of fuel, as for me ,   I HAVE THE LORD , and thus have all I need .

• Praise God! 1

56 minutes ago, Neighbor said:

Yes, the news does like to sensationalize everything, that's for sure....especially if they were hyping it up before the storm, they don't want to have egg on their faces after it turns out not to be so bad, so they keep on as if it was worse than actually happened.   And I just think actually, that in a lot of these situations, if not for the Lord it COULD have been worse.

Well, I see your point brother, as long as nobody gets too over-confident because they have managed by the grace of God to get through previous disasters, and give Him glory and thanks for it when they do.  Pride goeth before a fall, so we always should keep a humble attitude before the Lord, in hopes He will be gracious to keep us.   It only takes one tree limb falling to kill or maim a person, or only one downed power line, or any number of un-anticipated things can happen.....and really the fact is that we and our loved ones are at His mercy every day all the time.   We need Him, we just do.  But I do see your point, there can be too much fear-mongering going on and people should act wisely with the help of the Lord,  and there is no need for craven fear and panic, that is not of Him.

• Thumbs Up 1

37 minutes ago, frienduff thaylorde said:

Sister I had nearly forgotten that canda is heavily influenced by French language .   You would think I would have remembered that due to part of my family lived up

their a few generations back .   The French influenced English language heavy for a few hundred years .  it is why our old way of spelling cwen was replaced with QUEEN.

I suppose that is why paycheck , you spelled as paycheque .      You loved sister .   AND GOD IS WITH HIS OWN .     OH praise the LORD everyone .  PRAISE the LORD .

True brother....English is a mixture of a few languages from what I understand.... Briton, German, French and Latin.  And our brother Neighbor is spelling his name wrong according to Canadian spelling.....up north here it would be spelled Neighbour.....yes probably due to French influence.  :)  And sometimes I think Texan must be a language all its own...it sure is unique.....LOL!

22 minutes ago, Heleadethme said:

Yes, the news does like to sensationalize everything, that's for sure....especially if they were hyping it up before the storm, they don't want to have egg on their faces after it turns out not to be so bad, so they keep on as if it was worse than actually happened.   And I just think actually, that in a lot of these situations, if not for the Lord it COULD have been worse.

Well, I see your point brother, as long as nobody gets too over-confident because they have managed by the grace of God to get through previous disasters, and give Him glory and thanks for it when they do.  Pride goeth before a fall, so we always should keep a humble attitude before the Lord, in hopes He will be gracious to keep us.   It only takes one tree limb falling to kill or maim a person, or only one downed power line, or any number of un-anticipated things can happen.....and really the fact is that we and our loved ones are at His mercy every day all the time.   We need Him, we just do.  But I do see your point, there can be too much fear-mongering going on and people should act wisely with the help of the Lord,  and there is no need for craven fear and panic, that is not of Him.

Oh the results of storms will keep one humble! We scooped out one family  house back in 1992, used three twenty yard dumpsters after 12 foot of water came through. The living room was 28 feet tall facing the water. It was just full of spears that used to be slats of the roll down window covers. Looked like a huge porcupine inside there. The occupants stayed on the second story as the gulf came rolling on through. The house is still there all remodeled even today.

My BIL has had the gulf roll through his place multiple number of times. It isn't fun when it does, but really other then going inland to another friend's place during the height of a storm  it is a really long run out of here. Plus generally the storms do more damage  way north right where we would have to run to.  we share of lots of personal stories about going inland too, only to find the storm came up inland instead of along the coast.

My spouse worked Katrina where everything got wiped out, had I fled that one then I would have run right into it. So we just stay put, and if we lose one time hey it is a hello Jesus moment.

It's all going to burn one day anyway. Life in the flesh isn't all that important if one knows the certainty of eternal life through the shed blood of our Lord. All of life is humbling praise God for His mercy and grace for the saints in Christ Jesus for we are secured to  eternal life in the spirit.

Besides if storm  or an accident doesn't take me out, what guarantee do I have that a nasty illness won't, instead of a quick heart attack? One's soul might be required of them any day any time, so all is good,-  if one is secure in the faith of Jesus the good shepherd.

Edited by Neighbor
  • Thumbs Up 1

All that and yet my prayer and advice to others is get out, way out if you can. So.... Do as I say not as I do I guess.