warrior12

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  53
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,412
  • Content Per Day:  0.88
  • Days Won:  0

On Saturday, a friend with whom I play recreational soccer invited me to go see a professional soccer game as he had two tickets which someone gave him.  I don't attend big sports event, but I decided to go along as there was one player who had fame and thought it would be nice to see him live in action.

Well the game itself was great and I did see the player.  What I noticed though, was there was a quite a bit of intoxicated people there. There was no bad behavior, but and surprisingly no loud and aggressive noise.  There was open bars and people dressed as they would in the streets with tight fitting clothes ect.

The question.  Should a believer be in an environment as such and should he make the commitment to abstain from those places, or should he just ignore what he sees and hold the though that he is there to enjoy his evening of sports and pay no mind to what else takes place. ?     

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Topics Per Day:  0.13
  • Content Count:  7,448
  • Content Per Day:  2.70
  • Days Won:  1

I'll chime in...

I won't address this so much with my religious convictions as I will with my secular view of professional sports. Well maybe.

I lost all interest and following of professional sports decades ago when 'the love of the game' was lost; and greed, money and business took over and replaced it. Not to even mention taking a knee during the National Anthem, talking to your business agent on the cell phone in the dug-out during a game, etc. 

In my opinion, there's nothing wrong with supporting and watching your sports team. It's the replacement and worship of the players / teams that is of concern to me. Just my brief thoughts.

• Loved it! 1
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,696
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

I have no issue hanging out at such events, as long as you yourself are not sinning. Especially since from your discription it sounds like most of the people were well behaved, even with the presence of alcohol. Its just a soccer game.

• Loved it! 1
  • Thanks 1

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  165
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  15

Martin Luther hung out at pubs sipping ale as he wrote “A Mighty Fortress Is Our God,” our Lord Jesus Christ ate and drank with tax collectors and sinners, “29 Later, Levi held a banquet in his home with Jesus as the guest of honor. Many of Levi’s fellow tax collectors and other guests also ate with them. 30 But the Pharisees and their teachers of religious law complained bitterly to Jesus’ disciples, “Why do you eat and drink with such scum?”31 Jesus answered them, “Healthy people don’t need a doctor—sick people do. 32 I have come to call not those who think they are righteous, but those who know they are sinners and need to repent.” (Luke 5:29-32). 

If we isolate, and avoid the world how shall we make disicples? (Matthew 28:19). The point is to minister but not be polluted, “Rescue others by snatching them from the flames of judgment. Show mercy to still others, but do so with great caution, hating the sins that contaminate their lives.” (Jude 1:23 NLT). 

Edited by Fidei Defensor
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  295
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  0

22 hours ago, Dennis1209 said:

I'll chime in...

I won't address this so much with my religious convictions as I will with my secular view of professional sports. Well maybe.

I lost all interest and following of professional sports decades ago when 'the love of the game' was lost; and greed, money and business took over and replaced it. Not to even mention taking a knee during the National Anthem, talking to your business agent on the cell phone in the dug-out during a game, etc. 

In my opinion, there's nothing wrong with supporting and watching your sports team. It's the replacement and worship of the players / teams that is of concern to me. Just my brief thoughts.

Same here.

However I would like to add. Like the last Olympics that was held in Brazil. One of the gold medallist runner was cheating on his wife with a Brazilian sl.... I would like to tell where he can put his gold medal but probably I were band from this forum. So no further comment. And it's true for many sport event. It's not just about greed and money. I wouldn't mind if some nice talented person earns millions a month. But I do mind when evil people with some talent in sport celebrated while in the real life they are just a zero. That is what hurting me.

Edited by Zoltan777