IGNORED

What is best to do if...

Someone is yoked to an unbeliever? 

A friend has asked me for advice. She married the man she fell in love with. Then she became a committed Christian a few years later but he is not interested. He does not want her to go to church and spend time in church activities. He tolerates it. She is doing her best but of course as time goes on it is not easy. She loves him and he loves her. No question of splitting up. She is a dear sweet friend of mine and i want to help. What can i say? Apart from pray. .

Edited by Melinda12

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,676
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

Pray for him and honor her marriage commitments....beyond that what else can one do? You cant force someone to become a Christian.

• Thumbs Up 2

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  53
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.87
  • Days Won:  0

The Christian life is tough and tough choices has to be made .  They love one another and that is great, but she as a believer has to love God first and  put him first above all.  She has to come to terms with her born again status and what it means.  God has dealt with these situations, millions of times and one more he can handle.  She has to trust the Lord for the outcome to be favorable, but no compromise as to her faithfulness in service to him.  

You can substitute money for anything in the verse below

24 “No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money.

Matthew 10 King James Version (KJV)

37 He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.

38 And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me.

• Followers:  52
  • Topic Count:  1,010
  • Topics Per Day:  0.15
  • Content Count:  12,206
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  92

9 hours ago, Melinda12 said:

A friend has asked me for advice. She married the man she fell in love with. Then she became a committed Christian a few years later but he is not interested. He does not want her to go to church and spend time in church activities. He tolerates it. She is doing her best but of course as time goes on it is not easy. She loves him and he loves her. No question of splitting up. She is a dear sweet friend of mine and i want to help. What can i say? Apart from pray. .

1 Corinthians 7:13 - And the woman which has a husband that believes not, and if he be pleased to dwell with her, let her not leave him.

1 Corinthians 7:15 - But if the unbelieving depart, let him depart.

So since they love each other and he is willing to stay with her, she should stay...but honor and respect him.   Perhaps if she does this, he will agree more with her going to church and church activities.   She should pray for him but as others have said, win him more with her behavior.   Only speak of spiritual things when led by the Holy Spirit.

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  940
  • Topics Per Day:  0.35
  • Content Count:  13,416
  • Content Per Day:  5.02
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  03/03/1885

11 hours ago, Melinda12 said:

Perhaps the best thing to do is give no advice, nothing. The Bible gives pretty clear concise guidance already. Do not try to add to it, nor make it fit what might be desired instead of what it states. It may be that you are being suckered into becoming a stumble block so watch out.

Might be best to just say, I am sorry  for your travail you are going through at this time, seems to me the Bible already tells each of us what God wills. We can pray together for  understanding and for your marriage to be strengthen, and we can pray that your husband will be turned about by the Holy Spirit, but there is no special nor different guidance that I can give in addition to what we both can read in the Bible regarding  marriage to an unbeliever.

..."To the rest I say (I, not the Lord) that if any brother has a wife who is an unbeliever, and she consents to live with him, he should not divorce her.  If any woman has a husband who is an unbeliever, and he consents to live with her, she should not divorce him.  For the unbelieving husband is made holy because of his wife, and the unbelieving wife is made holy because of her husband. Otherwise your children would be unclean, but as it is, they are holy.  But if the unbelieving partner separates, let it be so. In such cases the brother or sister is not enslaved. God has called you to peace.  For how do you know, wife, whether you will save your husband? Or how do you know, husband, whether you will save your wife?"

Edited by Neighbor