• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  105
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/09/1967

And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.

Do you believe that this verse teaches that redemption means no more sin?  How do you interpret this verse?

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  395
  • Content Per Day:  0.12

5 hours ago, JohnKing67 said:

Do you believe that this verse teaches that redemption means no more sin?  How do you interpret this verse?

Firstly, Jesus forgave her up to that point.

Secondly, Jesus did not say "go, and you won't sin no more".

It's a gift to start afresh. But now she is aware, and needs to stay aware (keep her oil lamp lit) to sin no more.

• Thanks 1

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  1,502
  • Content Per Day:  0.67

On 9/19/2018 at 1:04 AM, JohnKing67 said:

In context, Jesus was likely talking about the sin of adultery, right?

"You are saved now, you've trusted me for salvation, therefore, go, but commit adultery no more."

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,776
  • Content Per Day:  1.29
  • Days Won:  2

On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 12:04 AM, JohnKing67 said:

The whole conversation about her and to her was about adultery.  Jesus meets us where we are.  She was in an adulterous condition.

Jesus is telling her to forsake the lifestyle of adultery.  Forever.  No more.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Jayne said:

The whole conversation about her and to her was about adultery.  Jesus meets us where we are.  She was in an adulterous condition.

Jesus is telling her to forsake the lifestyle of adultery.  Forever.  No more.

But he didn't say go and commit adultery no more he said go and sin no more.  I think there's a difference there if that is to be taken literally.  

7 hours ago, Billiards Ball said:

In context, Jesus was likely talking about the sin of adultery, right?

"You are saved now, you've trusted me for salvation, therefore, go, but commit adultery no more."

Can we assume Jesus only meant adultery here?  I think it would have been easy enough to say "go and commit adultery no more" if that's what he meant.  

2 hours ago, JohnKing67 said:

But he didn't say go and commit adultery no more he said go and sin no more.  I think there's a difference there if that is to be taken literally.  

I don't know if you are trying to make this about sinless perfection, I may be wrong.  I don't believe in sinless perfection.  It should be the goal, but in this body on this earth it will neve be attained.

He tells her this after he has forgiven her.  I don't know why Jesus would tell someone that he has forgiven to never, even commit another sin when he knows that's impossible.

Jesus was not only concerned with her adulterous lifestyle, but that was what landed her in the place of near death here.  If this were generic, he would have said, "Go and pursue holiness," or "Go and obey the commands of God," or "Go and rebuke sinful behavior."

Of course, Jesus didn't want her to sin in any capacity again, but that's impossible in this coat of flesh.  I don't think he is giving her an ultimatum of ,"Go and never sin in anyway again," because there is always an "or else" following an ultimatum.

This does not affect eternity nor is it a hill on which I am willing to die.  In other words, I can't argue about it.

Edited by Jayne
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/19/2018 at 6:41 AM, Raven said:

Firstly, Jesus forgave her up to that point.

Secondly, Jesus did not say "go, and you won't sin no more".

It's a gift to start afresh. But now she is aware, and needs to stay aware (keep her oil lamp lit) to sin no more.

I agree.

51 minutes ago, Jayne said:

I don't know if you are trying to make this about sinless perfection, I may be wrong.  I don't believe in sinless perfection.  It should be the goal, but in this body on this earth it will neve be attained.

He tells her this after he has forgiven her.  I don't know why Jesus would tell someone that he has forgiven to never, even commit another sin when he knows that's impossible.

Jesus was not only concerned with her adulterous lifestyle, but that was what landed her in the place of near death here.  If this were generic, he would have said, "Go and pursue holiness," or "Go and obey the commands of God," or "Go and rebuke sinful behavior."

Of course, Jesus didn't want her to sin in any capacity again, but that's impossible in this coat of flesh.  I don't think he is giving her an ultimatum of ,"Go and never sin in anyway again," because there is always an "or else" following an ultimatum.

This does not affect eternity nor is it a hill on which I am willing to die.  In other words, I can't argue about it.

You say Jesus knows it's impossible to never commit a sin ever again.  Is there a scripture in the Bible that confirms this?

2 hours ago, JohnKing67 said:

You say Jesus knows it's impossible to never commit a sin ever again.  Is there a scripture in the Bible that confirms this?

Jesus said in teaching people to pray, "Forgive us our trespasses and we forgive those who trespass against us."  Why do we need forgiveness from trespass if we live sinlessly?

Jesus said to Peter the night before he [Jesus] was crucified, "The devil has asked to sift you as wheat, but when you return, you will lead the brothers."  Jesus knew and told Peter that he would sin grievously.