JoeCanada

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  146
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0

I am not looking for support for a Friday crucifixion. The churches worldwide celebrate Jesus' Resurrection on Easter Sunday. They also contend that He was crucified on 'Good Friday'. How can this be if Jesus' only sign that He gave was 'three days and three nights in the grave'?

I'm saying that this ' Friday crucifixion' and 'Easter Sunday'  resurrection has NO scriptural support. 

Why then, do we all follow the traditions of men? Why do we Celebrate Easter....why do we celebrate Sunday to worship? 

Mark 7:7-8…….” In vain do they worship Me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men. For laying aside the commandment of God, you hold the tradition of men”

Even in the days of Polycarp, there was a discrepancy about the proper date to celebrate Easter.  Right now, it's thousands of years later, and there are lots of theories out there supporting a Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday crucifixion.  Spirit-filled Christians believe all any one of them, depending on the individual.  

On the other hand, though, I'm not sure that God is concerned with which specific days we honor Him, beyond what he's specifically stipulated (controversially perhaps Sabbaths, biblical feasts, etc...and there's disagreement even among these!)  He wants us to honor Him either way:

Romans 14:4 "Who are you to judge someone else’s servant? To his own master he stands or falls. And he will stand, for the Lord is able to make him stand. 5One man regards a certain day above the others, while someone else considers every day alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind. 6He who observes a special day does so to the Lord; he who eats does so to the Lord, for he gives thanks to God; and he who abstains does so to the Lord and gives thanks to God"

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,238
  • Content Per Day:  0.55

3 hours ago, stillseeking said:

Even in the days of Polycarp, there was a discrepancy about the proper date to celebrate Easter.  Right now, it's thousands of years later, and there are lots of theories out there supporting a Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday crucifixion.  Spirit-filled Christians believe all any one of them, depending on the individual.  

On the other hand, though, I'm not sure that God is concerned with which specific days we honor Him, beyond what he's specifically stipulated (controversially perhaps Sabbaths, biblical feasts, etc...and there's disagreement even among these!)  He wants us to honor Him either way:

Romans 14:4 "Who are you to judge someone else’s servant? To his own master he stands or falls. And he will stand, for the Lord is able to make him stand. 5One man regards a certain day above the others, while someone else considers every day alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind. 6He who observes a special day does so to the Lord; he who eats does so to the Lord, for he gives thanks to God; and he who abstains does so to the Lord and gives thanks to God"

Hi stillseeking, 

I appreciate what you're saying, but look at what Isaiah said:

"Also the sons of the foreigner who join themselves to the Lord, to serve Him, and to love the name of the Lord, to be His servants—everyone who keeps from defiling the Sabbath, and holds fast My covenant—even them I will bring to My holy mountain, and make them joyful in My house of prayer. Their burnt offerings and their sacrifices will be accepted on My altar; for My house shall be called a house of prayer for all nations" (Isaiah 56:6–7).

The Gentiles will be blessed for observing the true Sabbath.

"My house shall be called a house of prayer for all nations".  I believe he is talking about the millennium here.

• 4 weeks later...

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  195
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

On 9/22/2018 at 12:35 AM, JoeCanada said:

The Old Testament Passover always precedes the Annual Sabbath of the Feast of Unleavened Bread.

Amen! Correct!

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  195
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

On 9/22/2018 at 12:35 AM, JoeCanada said:

it was  after (the 9th hour) that when the disciples asked for His body so that they could place Him in the tomb. The Sabbath was at hand, so time was of the essence.  (Luke 23:53-54,  John 19:41-42)

No disciples asked for the body; Joseph of the Sanhedrin did.

It was not after the 9th hour when Joseph asked, but after "it had become and was the evening already (when) Joseph" turned up and waited for his turn to ask Pilate for the body "after these things" the Jews hypocritically did after sunset and before Joseph arrived. But because Joseph had the whole "high-day-of-sabbath" to inter the body still, not time, but because of the Jews, stealth was of the essence Luke 23:50-52. Luke 23:53a followed "in That Night" according to passover prophesy, and Joseph, only after he had received Pilate's approval and cooperation, carried on with his obvious carefully premeditated undertaking to bury Jesus honourably and finish “mid-afternoon That Day” (23b,54), “because of the Jews’ preparations” (John 19:42) usual for the nearing “Sabbath according to the (Fourth) Commandment” (v56).

Edited by gerhard eber

• Group:  Mars Hill
  • Followers:  17
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  13,256
  • Content Per Day:  5.40
  • Days Won:  62
  • Birthday:  03/25/1972

On ‎9‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 6:09 PM, JoeCanada said:

Hi stillseeking, 

I appreciate what you're saying, but look at what Isaiah said:

"Also the sons of the foreigner who join themselves to the Lord, to serve Him, and to love the name of the Lord, to be His servants—everyone who keeps from defiling the Sabbath, and holds fast My covenant—even them I will bring to My holy mountain, and make them joyful in My house of prayer. Their burnt offerings and their sacrifices will be accepted on My altar; for My house shall be called a house of prayer for all nations" (Isaiah 56:6–7).

The Gentiles will be blessed for observing the true Sabbath.

"My house shall be called a house of prayer for all nations".  I believe he is talking about the millennium here.

Just be on guard Joe .  the all inclusive interfaith are using this line to get all religions to join as one and it will be centered in jersualem .  YEP

they gonna make that religion THE RELIGION.    but its only death for all who enter its covenant .  SO be on guard that not a one of us falls for that line . 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,399
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  1

The timing of the resurrection of Jesus never justified any change to the Biblical sabbath day.....  So it matters not one jot whether Jesus was raised from the dead on the 7th or 1st day. From the scriptures i believe Jesus spent 3 nights and 3 days in the earth and was raised from the dead at the end of the Sabbath at sundown.. Probably at the exact moment between the 7th and 1st day.. 

So for me Jesus was executed on Wednesday and was placed in the tomb just before sunset Wednesday and spent 3 nights and 3 days in the tomb and was raised from the dead sunset Saturday..

This page gives more detail to this belief..

Resurrection when ?

On 10/18/2018 at 8:44 PM, Abdicate said:

Jesus rose on Saturday. The original Greek says so. It was around 130 AD when the Greek word for Sabbath (sabbaton) was changed to include the meaning of "week". There are two reasons: one, the false religions hated the Jews and wanted nothing to do with their Sabbath (which is God's by the way), and second, the Jews changed their calendar so their Sabbath wouldn't be profaned by "that Man" Jesus. 

Hi Abdicate....

Yes. He rose on Saturday. As I said in the OP...."

So, a Wednesday crucifixion on the Passover, buried at the end of the day……”evening and the morning were the first day” (Gen1:5)…….and ‘the evening and the morning were the third day” (Gen 1:13)……..Wednesday evening, Thursday evening, Friday evening. Thursday day, Friday day, Saturday day.  Three days and three nights.

Jesus was, thus, in the tomb on Wednesday at evening, and rose from the dead Saturday at evening.

So, my questions are these :  Should we, as Bible believing Christians, follow the Sabbath (Saturday) for worshiping?

Does it matter which Day we keep?

In Rev 14:12, it says "they which keep the commandments and have the testimony of Jesus"........is He talking to believers?....... So do we have to keep the commandments?

I know we are saved by grace...not by law. But I'm a bit confused about Rev 14:12. Who is He talking about?

4 minutes ago, Abdicate said:

This spells out the point about dos and do nots.

Colossians 2:16-23 (ESV2011)
Therefore let no one pass judgment on you in questions of food and drink, or with regard to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath. These are a shadow of the things to come, but the substance belongs to Christ. Let no one disqualify you, insisting on asceticism and worship of angels, going on in detail about visions, puffed up without reason by his sensuous mind, and not holding fast to the Head, from whom the whole body, nourished and knit together through its joints and ligaments, grows with a growth that is from God. If with Christ you died to the elemental spirits of the world, why, as if you were still alive in the world, do you submit to regulations— “Do not handle, Do not taste, Do not touch” ( referring to things that all perish as they are used)—according to human precepts and teachings? These have indeed an appearance of wisdom in promoting self-made religion and asceticism and severity to the body, but they are of no value in stopping the indulgence of the flesh.

And if that's not enough, here's Jesus' own words:

John 4:23-24 (KJV)
But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him. God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

About Revelation 14:12, John 14:23, John 14:15, and John 15:10, I say, look at all the religions of the world. They all want you to DO something, especially several versions of "Christianity". It's their way of doing, as if to garner favor, pay God back, or just feel good. But they're all hopelessly lost in their own religion.

What are Jesus' commandments? Do you know? Are they the ten summarized in the Hebrew scriptures, or are they 613 from the Jewish perspective? Jesus is a Jew and He kept them all. So what are we to do? Simple,

Matthew 22:37-40 (KJV)
Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

1 John 2:27-29 (KJV)
But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him. And now, little children, abide in him; that, when he shall appear, we may have confidence, and not be ashamed before him at his coming. If ye know that he is righteous, ye know that every one that doeth righteousness is born of him.

So if you love the Lord with all your heart, soul, and mind and allow the Holy Spirit to teach you, you will keep His commandments. Sounds like the "law" doesn't it? We want to rebel against the "law" but the word isn't "commandment" per se, but the teaching on how to succeed. So many people buy self-help books on success but they neglect the One true Source, the Holy Spirit.

Do you know why the Jews failed and Christians today? The same reason:

Romans 9:31-32 (ESV2011)
but that Israel who pursued a law that would lead to righteousness did not succeed in reaching that law. Why? Because they did not pursue it by faith, but as if it were based on works. They have stumbled over the stumbling stone,

When men want to DO in order to feel good, or hold power over others by making them DO, those are evil spirits of manipulation and intimidation to keep you under their thumb. That's what religion is. Hold to the word of God and when you're stumped, ask the Holy Spirit. He's here to help. Asking in a place like this will only give you religious mumbo jumbo instead of guidance by the Holy Spirit like this entry. My point is, don't take my word for it, read the word of God and seek the answer from Him. I guided you to the source. Ask and you shall be given, Seek and you shall find, Knock and it will be opened to you. Or you could just A.S.K.

Hi Abdicate....

Words of wisdom. Thank you.

John 4:23-24 seems to sum it up pretty good. 

As for Rev 14:12.....I had this thought, probably from the Holy Spirit.

Tell me if you agree.

There are two groups of people here. Israel, "those that keep the commandments", and the Church, "those that have the testimony of Jesus". Does this make sense? In Rev 12:17, "the dragon goes to make war with those that keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus". Satan hates Jews and Christians, so it makes sense that he goes after them to annihilate them.